[Build Log] IKEA DIY Laptop Cooler

So i am at my parents house but forgot to take my laptop cooler with me. My laptop tends to overheat and shut down while gaming. But since i am staying for a few days i decided to build one my own and share it with you guys. :)

What you need:

- IKEA BRÄDA laptop holder

- Fans - I used 2x140mm Fractal Design R2

- Drill with a big drill head (~1 cm diameter)

- A file to remove ridges

- A power source for the fans

- Optionally a USB cable and soldering equipment to make your own power source.

- Time

- Creativity

So here we go, this is the IKEA BRÄDA laptop holer which we are gonna use:

8plsYCk.jpg

Then I used the biggest and sharpest drill head that i could find

HZznBlw.jpg

Randomly drilled holes all over the place, with enough space in between so that the holer wouldn't get fragile

NKh9zf3.jpg

Drilling was easy, the drill wen't through it like through butter; look at that mess!

TBOTtQP.jpg

I had to use some force and the drill would've went into the ground so i used a wood plank as protection

ToSAyd4.jpg

The drilling left some mediocrely sharp ridges

OlCydLS.jpg

So i just grabbed a file and took some time to remove them

mtdgYkn.jpg

9iQh3Sx.jpg

Eventually i got bored of it and just went crazy on it and quickly scratched over the entire surface.

pZCnfzv.jpg

The first step is done! Yeehaaw! We successully prepared the laptop holder! :)

On to the fans. Here you have to choose an appropriate way to power your fans. I sadly didn't find anything pleasing, or in the correct voltage range to power my fans, so i had to go with USB. The disadvantages is obviously that USB has only 5 V and i can't control the Volts either (but why would i, 5 V is slow as fuck).

Anyways, here are the two big boys that i used, still untouched and looking good!

wR1isee.jpg

I found a old USB 2.0 cable and in order to connect everything i had to do some soldering to get it to work.

etrEjXZ.jpg

On to Something rather unpleasent, I had to cut the wires of my Fractal fans, get rid of the nice black sleeving, cut out the rpm wire and basically render them useless for other purposes. :(

OWwh9c2.jpg

Nontheless i was ready to solder, here some glam footage of my dad's 40 y/o soldering grease

Y6jNn6s.jpg

This is how i connected the two fans to one wire, using that quick connect, so i could easily change the power source later, if i get my hands on something with more Volts! ;)

EHF1XZj.jpg

That's basically the assembly. Pretty simple should work.....

pf59YDt.jpg

..... and a quick test confirms that everything is working fine

34P095g.jpg

YAY, that was step two of the mod! Now we just need to frankenstein our two pieces together and we should in theory have a laptop cooler!

So first i am just laying them out on the laptop holer, according to where my laptop get's the hottest.

BJdzY3K.jpg

Those zip ties sadly didn't fit through the fan's holes, so i had to use some wire to tighten them down, not the best way of mounting it, but it doesn't rattle.

Here you can see that it is actually a tight fit, but when it fits, it sits.

knbNJDo.jpg

This is pretty much the end product, you can see the fans through the holes

7dkUS6l.jpg

And there she is. Ignore the mess. :D

VxuY672.jpg

In conclusion, i can say it does help with overheating and shutting down, but it doesn't actually cool the laptop. The CPU still get's to a toasty 85 °C, but that was to be expected. At least i can play now without having my laptop shut down all the time! :)

Thanks for reading. ;)

UPDATE

post-31147-0-41423600-1434887541_thumb.j

So as you can see i sourced a power supply. I also had some old AMD stock coolers lying around which i cannibalized aswell.

What i did was first cut out the green and a black wire from the PSU's 24-pin and solder them together, which effectiveley is a permanent solution to bridging the two pins. Nowthe PSU will actually turn on when i flip the switch on the back. ;)

I arranged the fans so that the 3 small fans with a lot of static rpessure and high RPMs would sit under the hottest spots of the laptop. I zipp-tied everything into place.

I cut off every fan heades and sorted the red wires and black wires together and sodlered them into two giant red and black cables, which i connected to a molex lead (which i cut off aswell). With a molex plug the yellow one has 12V, not the red one, so be careful with that.

The results are pretty imrpessive. The notebook is cooled much better. The airflow is very high, but so is the noise level. I couldn't bear the nosie if i wouldn't wear headphones all the time. :D

Next step would be to include a controllable resistor. ;)

who cares...

Awesome but where did you get those spare fractal fans?

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Nice. I just use my desk (dresser) so... My netbook doesn't have any problems with this, thankfully.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Awesome but where did you get those spare fractal fans?

They are lying around since i outfited my Define R4 with bequiet silent wings. :)

who cares...

I was planning to build something similar, I'm getting a USB to 12V adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/5W-USB-DC-5V-to-12V-Step-Up-Boost-Module-Moter-Wireless-controller-Solar-Charger-/271176652645 5v isn't going to cut it for me.

Oh wow, that looks tempting. But 5 bucks is a lot, relativeley, spaking. xD

who cares...

Oh wow, that looks tempting. But 5 bucks is a lot, relativeley, spaking. xD

yeah, but when you consider that there are no 12v notebook cooler stands on the market at a reasonable price (not that I've found), it does sound really tempting.

"Bräda" means "plank" in Swedish. Can also be used as "board"

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

you should have made the holes a bit more uniform, my ocd is killing me lol.

Otherwise, great job, you could try using something like a 200mm fan or even higher.

you should have made the holes a bit more uniform, my ocd is killing me lol.

Otherwise, great job, you could try using something like a 200mm fan or even higher.

Thanks!

Haha, i started off with a plan to space them out evenly but that would've requiered me to go into the basement and search for a rular, so i just went for it (with measurements, it would've taken ~ 70% longer :D)

I doubt that a 200 mm fan would fit under there but you could definiteley put three 140mm fans or even two rows of 90 mm fans but honestly.... :D

who cares...

nice try to cool your laptop.

maybe you next project is to build a new base for it that you screw of the bottom and make a larger one where the fans will fit in.

• 10 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but i did some sginificant changes (see OP).  :D

who cares...

I like how you forgot you regular laptop stand but have spare fractal fans lying around....

I like how you forgot you regular laptop stand but have spare fractal fans lying around....

They were spares from my PC. ;)

who cares...