Msi lighting 290x? or evga kingpin 780ti? Others?

Looking to switch up the gpu configuration in my build and looking at either the kingpin 780ti or the lighting 290x. I do more than just gaming so the added benefits of the 290x are appealing. However, when I do game, nvidia is basically the top. The 780ti also goes better with my neutral colors such as black and greys with red highlight color scheme. Is there a better option than these two cards? I realize there are reference cards for cheaper, but I want them to run cool and quite, especially when not under load.

kingpin if you really like to waste alot of money, otherwise the TRI-X 290x from sapphire

with reference we mean the cooler, the power delivery cant make a card more silent or cooler, just to make sure

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Unless you plan on extreme overclocking the K1ngpin is unnecessary. IMO go with a cheaper 780ti

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

If you have the "dolla dolla bills y'all" then 780 Ti

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

For higher resolutions get the 290x. If your gaming at 1080p get a 780. 780ti for 1080p is overkill.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

kingpin if you really like to waste alot of money, otherwise the TRI-X 290x from sapphire

with reference we mean the cooler, the power delivery cant make a card more silent or cooler, just to make sure

Yes I'm aware the power delivery doesn't affect temps or make it more silent. Right now I'm running 2 sapphire 280x's that had reference coolers but I replaced them with kraken g10s and corsair h75s since my temps were in the upper 90s under stress. I'd like to keep them under 70 and ik the lightning at least is a great cooler design. I have also heard the sapphire tri-x is good, but the lightning comes factory overclocked a little faster. Plus I've heard the cooler performs a little better. And yes I would be overclocking both cards.

For higher resolutions get the 290x. If your gaming at 1080p get a 780. 780ti for 1080p is overkill.

Can the 290x run 4k itself? Or would it need to be crossfired to have enough power? If not what resolution can it do just fine by itself? 2k? 3k?

Yes I'm aware the power delivery doesn't affect temps or make it more silent. Right now I'm running 2 sapphire 280x's that had reference coolers but I replaced them with kraken g10s and corsair h75s since my temps were in the upper 90s under stress. I'd like to keep them under 70 and ik the lightning at least is a great cooler design. I have also heard the sapphire tri-x is good, but the lightning comes factory overclocked a little faster. Plus I've heard the cooler performs a little better. And yes I would be overclocking both cards.

i can confirm that the lightning cooler is awesome, and if the only options are those two, id save money and get a lightning 290x

i got my 780 stable at 1250 still on air (from 1033) 

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Can the 290x run 4k itself? Or would it need to be crossfired to have enough power? If not what resolution can it do just fine by itself? 2k? 3k?

Yes all of thoose cards could run 4K but depending on the games you want to play you (ultra settings on AAA games) you will need more than one possibly even three.

I run eyefinity (3 1080p screens) and I get away with two 290x's fine. can ultra anything.

At the moment there are no single GPU solutions for gaming at 4K on ultra.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

To realistically run in 4K you will need at least two 290X in crossfire and also have to expect to lower settings for a pleasurable experience. Specifically disabling AA is the most important. 

Crossfire 290x can run 1400p and 1600p pretty much at max settings without issues. 

If you're watercooling go for the kingpin, you can get it to 1.4 Ghz easy, if you're not watercooling go for the 290x

Emmh... Maybe consider killing yourself before you talk to me?

Pople on this forum though some of them had a brain, turns out, no.