780 Ti or Titan Black or 880?

Najeeh

Hello

I do rendering at 2560x1620 on my trusty Thinkpad T420 but would like to be able to render at 3K or 4K. Rendering is mostly done by Vray in 3DS Max and the memory used on the dialog box someimes reaches ~4GB. 

Should I get the 780 Ti or titan black or wait for the 880 or 880 Ti?  :)

Wait for the 880/880ti if possible.

If you need a new GPU now get the titan black. 3GB won't be enough.

The new 800 series will have 4 or 8GB of vram so those would be the best option if you don't mind waiting a little :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hello

I do rendering at 2560x1620 on my trusty Thinkpad T420 but would like to be able to render at 3K or 4K. Rendering is mostly done by Vray in 3DS Max and the memory used on the dialog box someimes reaches ~4GB. 

Should I get the 780 Ti or titan black or wait for the 880 or 880 Ti?  :)

People will start raging at you if you talk about the 880. However, I would wait for the GTX 880.

What about a workstation card?

Those are too expensive. My budget for my new build is $2500. So either iI get a whole system or get a middle line Quadro of FirePro

#880masterrace :lol: !

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

People will start raging at you if you talk about the 880. However, I would wait for the GTX 880.

Get the GTX 880 when it comes out or wait a month or two to get the 880 Ti?

800 series or workstation stuff

Workstation stuff too damn expensive :mellow:. 

Titan Black definitely. 

I can get the titan anytime i want, but the reports say that GTX 8xx may be out this october or november. Isn't it better to wait for those?

I can get the titan anytime i want, but the reports say that GTX 8xx may be out this october or november. Isn't it better to wait for those?

Well the 780 Ti is essentially the same thing as a Titan Black except it has a higher reference clock speed and 3GiB less VRAM (Yes, Gibibytes). I would expect the 880 to perform better than the 780 Ti but if the 880 Ti is rumored to have 8GiB of VRAM so the 880 may have, at least 3GiB or realistically 4GiB. Wait for the 880 or the 880Ti.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Well the 780 Ti is essentially the same thing as a Titan Black except it has a higher reference clock speed and 3GiB less VRAM (Yes, Gibibytes). I would expect the 880 to perform better than the 780 Ti but if the 880 Ti is rumored to have 8GiB of VRAM so the 880 may have, at least 3GiB or realistically 4GiB. Wait for the 880 or the 880Ti.

Thanks for the info. My fingers are right now crossed and hoping that the 880 will have 4GB or VRAM  ;) 

We don't know any definitive specs of the 800 series, everything is a rumor. No reason to wait for something that you have no actual information on. 

Thanks for the info. My fingers are right now crossed and hoping that the 880 will have 4GB or VRAM  ;)

I hope too. If the 880 Ti is getting 8GiB, which is an absurd amount, than the 880 should be getting at least half of that to hopefully compete with AMD's R9 290 and 290x's 4GiB. This next generation of Nvidia cards should be for 1440p because the days of 1080p are going away.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

We don't know any definitive specs of the 800 series, everything is a rumor. No reason to wait for something that you have no actual information on. 

I'am going to do the build nearly by the end of august so by that time X99 will be close and since its only one month more for the 880 to come out (according to some articles) then I might just wait. I'm also thinking of going towards haswell-e because that just opens up a whole lot of options and some level of security since I dont majorly upgrade and building a system with 5-6 years in mind.

I hope too. If the 880 Ti is getting 8GiB, which is an absurd amount, than the 880 should be getting at least half of that to hopefully compete with AMD's R9 290 and 290x's 4GiB. This next generation of Nvidia cards should be for 1440p because the days of 1080p are going away.

Well yeah. I think now GPU's must be targeted for 4K, even 2K is good enough.

I'am going to do the build nearly by the end of august so by that time X99 will be close and since its only one month more for the 880 to come out (according to some articles) then I might just wait. I'm also thinking of going towards haswell-e because that just opens up a whole lot of options and some level of security since I dont majorly upgrade and building a system with 5-6 years in mind.

We have no idea of the 880 will be a viable workstation GPU though. 

We have no idea of the 880 will be a viable workstation GPU though. 

Well lets wait and see. Nobody thought that the 780 Ti could be a viable for workstation use but it kicks entry level and some mid level Quadro's and FirePro's ass, and they almost 2-3x the price for a 780 Ti