Plan Now or Wait?

MattP123

I have been planning my build for a while, but now that I read this http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/184482-nvidia-geforce-gtx-870-and-gtx-880/ I am debating on waiting till October to get an 870/880. What should I do? 

And do you think when the 870 and 880 are released they will be the price of the 770/780ti now? What should I do? This is the build I have kinda been planning for: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bT2M4D

47724cc57b35a296aacfbfd46688d94a966c238d

They'll most likely be more expensive, if your current rig can handle what you normally do on a PC, then you could wait a bit. 

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Tip for new builders; don't plan your build unless you're going to buy it at that moment. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Tip for new builders; don't plan your build unless you're going to buy it at that moment.

:D that moment for me was a whole year -_- but I kept it updated :D

I was planning to buy the parts very soon, but I found that thread today. 

They'll most likely be more expensive, if your current rig can handle what you normally do on a PC, then you could wait a bit. 

I am currently on my broken laptop.

I am currently on my broken laptop.

In that case, get a new rig now lol.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

:D that moment for me was a whole year -_- but I kept it updated :D

As long as you keep it updated like yourself, then it's ok.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

You could always build the rig minus the GPU and run on integrated graphics till the 800 series is out. I was planning on doing that, but then ended up wanting to play some games so I bought a EVGA GTX760 as a temporary card. It only cost about 200 so I am not out much once the 800 series comes out. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

I have been planning my build for a while, but now that I read this http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/184482-nvidia-geforce-gtx-870-and-gtx-880/ I am debating on waiting till October to get an 870/880. What should I do? 

And do you think when the 870 and 880 are released they will be the price of the 770/780ti now? What should I do? This is the build I have kinda been planning for: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bT2M4D

Regardless of when you buy there will always be new tech only a few months away. In October the question will be do I wait for Broadwell and DDR4? Or perhaps it will be the imminent release of AMD R10.

I am not saying you shouldn't wait. Just pointing out that you will always be faced with this dilemma.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Regardless of when you buy there will always be new tech only a few months away. In October the question will be do I wait for Broadwell and DDR4? Or perhaps it will be the imminent release of AMD R10.

I am not saying you shouldn't wait. Just pointing out that you will always be faced with this dilemma.

I don't really care about DDR4, or Broadwell, but I do care about the new 800 series. And do you know what the price of the 670 and 770 when they first launched? 

I found a chart. Do you think they will keep this price trend? 

7MEJsBY.png

I found a chart. Do you think they will keep this price trend? 

There will be a short period after the introduction of the new models, once it reaches the market in quantity, when the previous generation will be less expensive than it is now. This is the result of vendors flushing the product out of the supply chain. Then the price will climb. The new generation will be as expensive as the competition allows. As the chart shows, there really is no way of predicting what that price might be.

New tech is always tons better and outrageously faster than the current generation, before it is actually delivered.

There will be a short period after the introduction of the new models, once it reaches the market in quantity, when the previous generation will be less expensive than it is now. This is the result of vendors flushing the product out of the supply chain. Then the price will climb. The new generation will be as expensive as the competition allows. As the chart shows, there really is no way of predicting what that price might be.

New tech is always tons better and outrageously faster than the current generation, before it is actually delivered.

So should I just get the 780?

So should I just get the 780?

I don't know. Undoubtedly the 800 gpu will perform better than the 700. I expect they will be priced close to their 700 counterparts. The only real question is just how much better they will be. That will not be clear for some time.

I don't know. Undoubtedly the 800 gpu will perform better than the 700. I expect they will be priced close to their 700 counterparts. The only real question is just how much better they will be. That will not be clear for some time.

Do you think I should just wait? 4 months though?

Do you think I should just wait? 4 months though?

You are the only one who can decide that. Ask yourself, "if the 800 series is a 5%-10% improvement for 5%-10% lower cost how upset will I be if I bought a 780 today?"

Just to complicate things, November has the big Black Friday sales in the US.

So how much do you want your system now?

You are the only one who can decide that. Ask yourself, "if the 800 series is a 5%-10% improvement for 5%-10% lower cost how upset will I be if I bought a 780 today?"

Good point and I don't have enough money yet for the system I WAS planning for.

Thanks

Do what I'm doing, I'm in a different situation but the Integrated GPU on your cpu is more than enough for basic games and good day to day activities.

When the 800 series comes out you can then make the dedicated GPU decision and not keep working on that horrible laptop.

TL'DR get the thing ready and working without the dedicated GPU, and decide on that later when we know the actual performance improvements. 

Case: Define R4 (Black - Window) | PSU: EVGA Supernova 850w Gold | Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO (250GB) | CPU: Intel i7 4790K (Devil's Canyon) Delidded with CLU  GPU: ASUS STRIX 980 TI | Cooler: Corsair H100i with CLU | Extra: NZXT Hue

Should I do this now and get the 870/880 when it comes out? But what if the 800 series doesn't come out until 2015? Should I wait till November to see if the 800 series comes out or not, and if it hasn't get a 780? 

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($134.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($17.00) 
Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($70.00) 
Other: Corsair MM200 Standard Size  ($17.00)
Other: 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive  ($5.00)
Total: $1118.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-26 18:44 EDT-0400

Should I do this now and get the 870/880 when it comes out? But what if the 800 series doesn't come out until 2015? Should I wait till November to see if the 800 series comes out or not, and if it hasn't get a 780? 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($134.99 @ Amazon) 

Do that and run the iGPU until nov. By that time if the 800 is no bueno get a 780TI

Case: Define R4 (Black - Window) | PSU: EVGA Supernova 850w Gold | Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO (250GB) | CPU: Intel i7 4790K (Devil's Canyon) Delidded with CLU  GPU: ASUS STRIX 980 TI | Cooler: Corsair H100i with CLU | Extra: NZXT Hue

If you want a system now you can do this. Just remember, no regrets.

If you want a system now you can do this. Just remember, no regrets.

What would I regret? 

What would I regret? 

I can't predict the future. Maybe the price of memory drops back to or below pre Hynix-fire levels. Maybe ssd prices drop by 30%. Maybe the EVGA psu rises in price by $30. Perhaps a new generation of Z97 motherboards appear or Intel surprises everyone with the early introduction of desktop Broadwell. Possibly someone introduces a new 240mm cooler that is cheaper and better than anything on the market.

I can't predict the future. Maybe the price of memory drops back to or below pre Hynix-fire levels. Maybe ssd prices drop by 30%. Maybe the EVGA psu rises in price by $30. Perhaps a new generation of Z97 motherboards appear or Intel surprises everyone with the early introduction of desktop Broadwell. Possibly someone introduces a new 240mm cooler that is cheaper and better than anything on the market.

Well that sounds like a personal problem.