What's something so underrated but is actually really good?

This is meant to rival this thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/185930-whats-something-so-overrated-but-not-actually-that-good/

Windows Vista. It's not like it's a bad OS after SP2, it just had a bad start.

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

I didn't mind Windows 8, if you ignore all the settings crap, in fact, I think it got worse from 8 to 8.1.

i'm a potato

Windows 8.1 :3 I like it. Almost every complain I hear from friends are from people who don't have it and haven't used it for any period of time

Like I've said, "It's bad because I'm not used to it and therefore it's shit"

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

Windows 98.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

In relative to my post in the other thread:

Being alone/left alone by stupid people.

I can agree with windows 8.1, everyone swears by windows 7, but its so simple to get it looking like the old windows. 

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

Widows 8.1 SilverStone ap123

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

This is meant to rival this thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/185930-whats-something-so-overrated-but-not-actually-that-good/

Windows Vista. It's not like it's a bad OS after SP2, it just had a bad start.

Prior to about about 6 months ago I would have agreed with you about Vista.  But then I tried installing an old copy I had lying around (I didn't want it to go to waste)...  I installed it in a VM and tried to configure it pretty much exactly as my existing Win7 environment.

There were too many strange errors and flaky behaviors in Vista (the file explorer alone was a headache) that I decided to abandon that idea.

Those same things bugged me back in 2009 when I first got that copy of Vista.   But I had forgotten about them until I started trying to use it again.

-- for me, something that is generally underrated that is really very good...   linux  (any flavor)

For the most part it is only used by the corporate world and enthusiasts like ourselves.

*I forgot about android being linux.  doh.  But I was meaning at a desktop/laptop level.

Picked up a Core2Quad E6600 out of some mates garage.

Dell Motherboard = Zero Options in Bios, None..Nada...

2.4Ghz x4 is great, but single core performance you can tell it's struggling and just not as 'up to spec' as I'd like.

Didn't really want to get another board ($$$) and figured I'd look into maybe getting a program to 'maybe' boost the FSB.

To no avail programs didn't work with this motherboard, it was a long shot anyway.

Googling around at overclocking (As I have a good CPU stepping/revision and was curious)

http://alumar.hubpages.com/hub/Get-more-from-your-Quad-Core-Q6600

Found this^

"This modification will change the front side bus from 1066 to 1333mhz. Due to the processors clock rating a Q6600 will move from 2.4ghz to 3.0ghz (2,996mhz effectively)"

2597180_f520.jpg

Taped up like this pic, I was ready to go.

Reinstalled Heatsink /w New Thermal paste

Quick Test...

120rm0j.jpg

Success. Q6600 Electrical Tape Mod Complete.

Max Temps so far have been 58-60*c

Multithreaded Games like the extra core frequency. Single threaded Games Love it.

Still Awesomesauce as its all free performance.

Threw in my old HD4890

Sniper Elite 3 (Maxed out AA + Details /w 900p)

2.4Ghz 31minfps 35avgfps 50maxfps

3.0Ghz 34minfps 43avgfps 67maxfps

Grid:Autosport (High Details,Not Ultra) 2xAA)

2.4Ghz 26minfps 32avgfps 40maxfps

3.0Ghz 31minfps 35 avgfps 43maxfps

Nice little information GEM to find in time of need.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Picked up a Core2Quad E6600 out of some mates garage.

Dell Motherboard = Zero Options in Bios, None..Nada...

2.4Ghz x4 is great, but single core performance you can tell it's struggling and just not as 'up to spec' as I'd like.

Didn't really want to get another board ($$$) and figured I'd look into maybe getting a program to 'maybe' boost the FSB.

To no avail programs didn't work with this motherboard, it was a long shot anyway.

Googling around at overclocking (As I have a good CPU stepping/revision and was curious)

http://alumar.hubpages.com/hub/Get-more-from-your-Quad-Core-Q6600

Found this^

"This modification will change the front side bus from 1066 to 1333mhz. Due to the processors clock rating a Q6600 will move from 2.4ghz to 3.0ghz (2,996mhz effectively)"

2597180_f520.jpg

Taped up like this pic, I was ready to go.

Reinstalled Heatsink /w New Thermal paste

Quick Test...

120rm0j.jpg

Success. Q6600 Electrical Tape Mod Complete.

Max Temps so far have been 58-60*c

Multithreaded Games like the extra core frequency. Single threaded Games Love it.

Still Awesomesauce as its all free performance.

Threw in my old HD4890

Sniper Elite 3 (Maxed out AA + Details /w 900p)

2.4Ghz 31minfps 35avgfps 50maxfps

3.0Ghz 34minfps 43avgfps 67maxfps

Grid:Autosport (High Details,Not Ultra) 2xAA)

2.4Ghz 26minfps 32avgfps 40maxfps

3.0Ghz 31minfps 35 avgfps 43maxfps

Nice little information GEM to find in time of need.

I think that's money well spent. Next time, get a good motherboard the first time.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I think, well... I believe that windows 8.1 is an improvement over 7

Maybe it's a small improvmant that's maybe not worth the update at the time, but if your buying a new computer there is no reason not to go with 8.1

Please don't kill me

Zip ties. Duct tape aint got shit on zip ties. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

AMD

Also, while I would have wished it's creators a slow and agonizing death some months ago, EA's Origin kinda works well for me now.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Well duct tape is mandatory equipment when going up to the ISS, are zip ties mandatory?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Well duct tape is mandatory equipment when going up to the ISS, are zip ties mandatory?

zip ties hold the shuttle that brings the duct tape together. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Amen

Intel Centrino. Graphics suck, but that's to be expected. The CPU and wifi are brilliant in my experience though. 

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

The MacBook Pro.

At least with some techies...Just because of that Apple on the back I think...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

The MacBook Pro.

At least with some techies...Just because of that Apple on the back I think...

People's opinions about apple computers are about as unchangeable as macbook ram. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Windows phone 8/8.1. It's a really good mobile OS, the only issue is that people fail to see this, and so it does not get the support. I've been using it for the last 20 months and it's blown me away, however I will still probably go for android next time, purely because of the greater variety of phones to choose from - Nokia just doesn't cut it for me at the moment.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

People's opinions about apple computers are about as unchangeable as macbook ram. 

Haha, very funny really. Also not true. First and second gen as well as all earlier MacBooks had SODIMMs... Only now they don't. Same with other ultrabooks.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz