What type of server?

greenroost1445
Go to solution Solved by Vitalius,

Yeah... I'm trying to figure this whole server thing out for the first time so my head has almost exploded with confusion

Alright. Chill. I got this.

LAMP means Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP (as opposed to WAMP which is the same but on Windows). It's for hosting a webpage/website. You want that if you want to have some user interface (UI) to access when accessing the server. This is the idiot proof option (to an extent) where anyone who can click a button can use the interface effectively.

OpenSSH means you will be using CLI (command line interface, i.e. terminal or command prompt, whatever you want to call it) to access the server. No GUI. Just commands and files. This is the more powerful option, but good luck having anyone who doesn't know how to use a CLI access your server without either breaking something or giving up in confusion.

As I said, IDK about Samba. I'm assuming Samba means it's a file server which means it can share files over a network and if anything can do that, then anything can get it working over the internet with a VPN. That costs money though. 

So your options for free are LAMP with a GUI, or OpenSSH with a CLI. Whichever you prefer. Or if you want it to be as simple as possible (after it's set up at least), then a Samba server with VPN would make it very simple, but also cost money. 

Up to you. There may be other options. I'm just detailing the ones I know of.

Ok, so I'm trying t set up a ubuntu server and I have the choices of:

OpenSSH Server

DNS Server

LAMP Server

PostgreSQL server

and Samba file server

which one would I need to choose if I want to be able to transfer stuff to and from the server over the internet?

... Why do you have to choose? Why not do all of them? /half-joke

I would do OpenSSH (you can SSH over the internet) or LAMP and set up No-ip.org dynamic DNS so you can use it as a website. Or my third choice would be Samba. 

I don't see why you can't have multiple though. Unless you just specifically want only 1.

DNS and PostgreSQL don't have some option to connect to it over the internet though by default. 

Like, I'm just confused because these aren't specific servers. These are features for a server, of which a server can have any or all of them. The things that you can use to connect to the server over the internet are LAMP with a dynamic DNS, SSH, and maybe Samba, but I know less about that. 

Sorry. The way the question was asked confused me.

*Vitalius is confused!
*Vitalius hurt himself in the confusion with a loquacious post.
*Crit for 9999!
*Vitalius faints.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

... Why do you have to choose? Why not do all of them? /half-joke

I would do OpenSSH (you can SSH over the internet) or LAMP and set up No-ip.org dynamic DNS so you can use it as a website. Or my third choice would be Samba. 

I don't see why you can't have multiple though. Unless you just specifically want only 1.

DNS and PostgreSQL don't have some option to connect to it over the internet though by default. 

Like, I'm just confused because these aren't specific servers. These are features for a server, of which a server can have any or all of them. The things that you can use to connect to the server over the internet are LAMP with a dynamic DNS, SSH, and maybe Samba, but I know less about that. 

Sorry. The way the question was asked confused me.

*Vitalius is confused!

*Vitalius hurt himself in the confusion with a loquacious post.

*Crit for 9999!

*Vitalius faints.

Yeah... I'm trying to figure this whole server thing out for the first time so my head has almost exploded with confusion

Alright. Chill. I got this.

LAMP means Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP (as opposed to WAMP which is the same but on Windows). It's for hosting a webpage/website. You want that if you want to have some user interface (UI) to access when accessing the server. This is the idiot proof option (to an extent) where anyone who can click a button can use the interface effectively.

OpenSSH means you will be using CLI (command line interface, i.e. terminal or command prompt, whatever you want to call it) to access the server. No GUI. Just commands and files. This is the more powerful option, but good luck having anyone who doesn't know how to use a CLI access your server without either breaking something or giving up in confusion.

As I said, IDK about Samba. I'm assuming Samba means it's a file server which means it can share files over a network and if anything can do that, then anything can get it working over the internet with a VPN. That costs money though. 

So your options for free are LAMP with a GUI, or OpenSSH with a CLI. Whichever you prefer. Or if you want it to be as simple as possible (after it's set up at least), then a Samba server with VPN would make it very simple, but also cost money. 

Up to you. There may be other options. I'm just detailing the ones I know of.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

There are GUI clients for ssh such as winscp for Windows.

http://winscp.net/eng/docs/screenshots

A VPN for accessing your own network is free. You would just be running a VPN server on your machine.

Me showing my lack of knowledge about things again. 

Admittedly, that GUI would be nearly as hard to learn as a CLI for an average user. It looks likes the developer took all the buttons he wanted to add, made them, ate them, then barfed onto the screen and just decided to leave things where it lay. Still, it's pretty cool to have a GUI.

Woah. You can do that? Epic. I didn't realize that. My bad. Which would be easier, do you think? Installing LAMP, setting a web page to access the directories, then setting up no-ip or another dynamic DNS, or setting up a VPN server, sharing the directories through that, then doing whatever else needs to be done to make that work? 

I guess it sounds about even. 

† Christian Member †