Ergodox

So I recently joined the Massdrop for an Ergodox keyboard. This because my left wrist very quickly starts to hurt because I used to have a form of child-rheumatism which still has an effect on my wrist. 

If you always wanted one, the drop is currently running on Massdrop. I got a fullhand version with blue switches and might print some mods with my 3D printer to slant the keyboard in a more natural handposition.

While Im waiting on my order to ship I wonder if there are any people on here who have an Ergodox keyboard and what their experiences are. Is it worth it or is a "normal" mechanical keyboard just as good, post your opinion.

i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz EK watercooled || SLI GTX680 EK watercooled || MSI Z77A-GD65 || 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP || Crusial M4 128GB SSD || 1TB WD Green || Silverstone TJ07 || Corsair AX750 || Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM || Beyerdynamic DT 990 250Ω || Asus Xonar Essence STX || Logitech Z906 || QPad Mk80 || SteelSeries Sensei || 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator

Why does everyone have 3D printers, what the fudgesicle.

I can see how it would be better, it allows more freedom with the arrangement of your hands, so I can see the logic.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Haha yeah well they are not that expencive anymore especially the repraps. You can make all kinds of stuff and fix stuff as well. And since I'm in my last year of mechanical enginering its very easy for me to design and make stuff. You also learn a lot by using a 3D printer. A few days ago I made an HDD rack to put some HDD's in for my server.

i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz EK watercooled || SLI GTX680 EK watercooled || MSI Z77A-GD65 || 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP || Crusial M4 128GB SSD || 1TB WD Green || Silverstone TJ07 || Corsair AX750 || Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM || Beyerdynamic DT 990 250Ω || Asus Xonar Essence STX || Logitech Z906 || QPad Mk80 || SteelSeries Sensei || 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator

I'd love one but I'm not that experienced with a solder, don't own a solder and feel this is would be a too large of an investment to try my skills on.

I'm definitely building one next year though, I just need to try Clear switches before I make up my mind between those and Blues.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Dont be scared of soldering, its so easy. Just search for a soldering tutorial on youtube and buy a practice kit like i did. I bought such a small kit where you make a bug which follows the light. 

After I soldered that bug I soldered my sanguinololu, something like this:

800px-Sanguinololu.jpg

Dont be scared and buy a good soldering iron and not a cheap one. A good one will last you pretty much a lifetime and is a good investment.

Dont be scared of soldering, its so easy. Just search for a soldering tutorial on youtube and buy a practice kit like i did. I bought such a small kit where you make a bug which follows the light. 

After I soldered that bug I soldered my sanguinololu, something like this:

Dont be scared and buy a good soldering iron and not a cheap one. A good one will last you pretty much a lifetime and is a good investment.

Yeah, it's definitely in my plans sometime next year (the Ergodox kit goes on Massdrop every 3-4 months) but the kit itself is $200, $50 more for keycaps, around $100 for a good soldering iron, a little more for the solder, solder remover, etc and taxes+shipping makes it a pretty big investment since I'm not in the US.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I was about to post about this keyboard. Not sure that I would want to completely switch to this style of keyboard. My idea would be to try and just get the left hand of this and make a DIY Gaming Pad thing. doubt it would work but at the moment its a dream. :P

Buy all the planes! Im also bad at quoting!

This looks interesting, I still have good feelings towards the original MS Ergonomic Keyboard, the one with the giant handrest without the "split" for the numpad part (on a tablet, so can't be arsed to find a picture) and this seems very similar in concept. I'll have look into this later, so setting this as a reminder.

Ive been looking at the microsoft keybaord as well but that doesnt use mechanical switches and i hate membrane switches. 

I was about to post about this keyboard. Not sure that I would want to completely switch to this style of keyboard. My idea would be to try and just get the left hand of this and make a DIY Gaming Pad thing. doubt it would work but at the moment its a dream.  :P

Thats why Im gonna try this. I get pain in my wrists from normal keyboards so im gonna give it a go. If i remember doing it i will make a review/buildlog on here about the Ergodox. Im excited to recieve my package cant wait :P

But yea it could be used as such but its very expensive just for that purpose. Isnt it better to just buy an orbweaver (which is mechanical) from razer?

Ive been looking at the microsoft keybaord as well but that doesnt use mechanical switches and i hate membrane switches. 

Thats why Im gonna try this. I get pain in my wrists from normal keyboards so im gonna give it a go. If i remember doing it i will make a review/buildlog on here about the Ergodox. Im excited to recieve my package cant wait :P

But yea it could be used as such but its very expensive just for that purpose. Isnt it better to just buy an orbweaver (which is mechanical) from razer?

Most Likely 

Yes, it does work in Europe atleast here in the Netherlands it does. Shipping is $25 which is not that bad. Im just praying for the package sneaking past customs :ph34r: Otherwise ill have to pay a 20 euro handling fee and also pay 21% VAT on top of the total cost (includes the $25 shipping). Otherwise lets hope its worth it  :rolleyes:

There are some alternatives to the Ergodox. There is something called Truly Ergonomic Keyboard. They also use cherry switches and you dont have to assemble them yourself. But they are kinda in the same pricerange at +- $250 and are less customizable, atleast it looks like it. 

I have an original one still haven't built it... I also have two kits that I need to sell...

I did run into a bunch of pre-mades, like Truly, when looking around YouTube for Ergodox videos, but frankly I prefer the idea of DYI more than the actual keyboard itself.

For me its more the keyboard but the idea that i made it myself is also very cool. I love making things like this so it will be fun :)

I have an original one still haven't built it... I also have two kits that I need to sell...

How come? :o There must be some people that want one and dont want to wait for the Massdrop?

-snip-

How come? :o There must be some people that want one and dont want to wait for the Massdrop?

Well I haven't built mine because I have other projects and other keyboards I want to build first. I was even debating keeping it since its so much different from my other boards.

The other ones I'll sell if someone's interested. If not once I have time I'll list them. One of the ones is a half hand full aluminum.

Well I haven't built mine because I have other projects and other keyboards I want to build first. I was even debating keeping it since its so much different from my other boards.

The other ones I'll sell if someone's interested. If not once I have time I'll list them. One of the ones is a half hand full aluminum.

What switches are with the kits?

What switches are with the kits?

I think one might have blues the other none. Its not that hard to get switches though. What kind do you want?