Corsair K70 RGB

Not sure if this is the correct place but :

How does the the new Corsair K70 Cherry MX RGB work?

As far as I know they showed only one LED per keycap but how is that LED able to produce 16.8 million colors?

Honest question..if anyone knows please reply

Thanks

It's basically the same switch but with a clear shell on the switch so that the light spreads better and they have a single RGB LED inside of the switch. Apart from that it's just a standard Cherry switch.

or more precisely... 

The latest MX switch variant is optimized for use with SMD LEDs for the full RGB color spectrum as well as monochromatic designs. Using an optimized, transparent case with a scattering surface lens, CHERRY was able to achieve much more even symbol illumination in the key caps compared to previous solutions.  Due to the special design of the entire system, all 16.7 million RGB colors can also be displayed in high luminosity for the first time. Through the SMD LEDs mounted directly on the circuit board, cost-effective, fully automated production is enabled.

Quote from: http://www.cherry.de/cid/press_1474.htm?rdeLocaleAttr=en&cpssessionid=SID-353D21F4-E485337B&WT.mc_id=

The answer is in the title, RGB - Red Green Blue - This combination can make 16.8 million - Similar to how an LCD screen works

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

That 16.8 million colors has to do with brightness levels and mixture of colors. You're not actually going to get 16.8 million colors.

They may be referring to color combinations? Idk.

1 led has 3 diodes inside that are red, green and blue. It has 24 bit colour depth which means there are 16.8 million combinations. Each colour can be at level 0 to 255. and 256x256x256=16.8million

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's an RGB led that can mix Red ( R ) Green ( G ) and Blue ( B ) to get up to 16.8 million colours.

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

1 led has 3 diodes inside that are red, green and blue. It has 24 bit colour depth which means there are 16.8 million combinations. Each colour can be at level 0 to 255. and 256x256x256=16.8million

Nailed it.

Redliquid~

That 16.8 million colors has to do with brightness levels and mixture of colors. You're not actually going to get 16.8 million colors.

They may be referring to color combinations? Idk.

16.8 million combinations of the 3 colours resulting in 16.8 million distinct colours :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Its an RGB (Red Green Blue) diodes in that one LED those 3 colours can make the 16.8 million colours. Its done by adjusting each individual colour in the diode.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Btw i head they were coming out late this month and blue switches come out next month?
Annyone heard annything? since it's only 6 days left of this month

Redliquid~

Btw i head they were coming out late this month and blue switches come out next month?

Annyone heard annything? since it's only 6 days left of this month

It's been delayed, there's a post in the news section about it.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186495-an-update-from-corsair-about-the-rgb-keyboards/

I'm assuming it works like most RGB lit thing and has 3 small diodes per LED bulb, blue, green and red. By increasing/decreasing the amount of each they can blend into pretty much any color. Most "16.8 million colors" RGB devices don't even come close though, as they don't have very smooth transitions between one intensity and the other.

Example: let's assume each color can be incremented by of 5%, that's 20 different levels for each (more than most too), since we're using 3 colors, we calculate the possibilities by 20^3 = 8,000.

Even at increments of 1% you'd get 1 million combinations rather than 16.8.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

This could easily be extended until X-mas... hence prety lights on pretty keyboard pretty christmassy :D

Very sad about the delay..... 6 months working on something that was almost ready in february.... cmooooon man !

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

As far as I know they showed only one LED per keycap but how is that LED able to produce 16.8 million colors?

This looks like a general LED question. rather than 3 separate LEDs for Red, Green and Blue in order to combine all your desired colors, you can actually buy RGB leds which (I haven't checked but I think it's a safe assumption) have 3 separate LEDs in the same "LED" casing. The through hole versions of these components look like this.

640px-RGB_LED.jpg

The 4 pin configuration so you can have 3 positives for each colour and a common negative. The Cherry MX RGBs use SMD versions of these LEDs.

And because I like tangential nonsense:

I've seen 2 pin RGB leds before, which used an embedded microcontroller to blink different colours (no control except on/off). Presumably you could have a 3-pin version with a data pin for selecting colours, but you're talking added microcontroller cost and LED-specific firmware, probably not a good idea for LED nor keyboard manufacturers.

Something I found really quite interesting though, the Green channel on these RGB LEDs generally has a lower resistance than the other two channels. This is almost certainly due to the fact that human eyes are more sensitive to green light.

I'm not the only one who finds that fascinating right? right?  :unsure: