Popular Asus PB278Q To Be Replaced With New Updated Model, The PB278QR

Geekazoid

post-14986-0-71238500-1412904991.jpg

post-14986-0-80123800-1412905080.jpg

Hey guys, it looks like ASUS is set to replace the ever popular PB278Q with a new updated model, the PB278QR. With this updated comes several changes. The most noticeable is the switch from that PLS panel to an AH-IPS one. This updates has been long overdue and if it's anything like the PB278Q then it's should be quite popular as well. It should be a worthy update with the new AH-IPS display panel. For more details about the PB278QR please follow the link below.

Source: http://pcmonitors.info/asus/asus-pb278qr-with-ips-panel
Author: Adam Simmons - PC Monitors

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Hopefully for those that want to buy one it will be the same price as the old model.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Hopefully for those that want to buy one it will be the same price as the old model.

Yeah, hopefully. It still sports a true 8-bit panel like it's predecessor. :)

@tmcclelland455, aesthetically it doesn't look any different to the PB278Q. ;)

@tmcclelland455, aesthetically it doesn't look any different to the PB278Q. ;)

I'd hope not.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I'd hope not.

Well you often wonder because these company's can, and often do, choose to change the look of an updated model.

Yeah, hopefully. It still sports a true 8-bit panel like it's predecessor. :)

The ASUS PB278Q was a 6-bit panel, not a true 8-bit like this one.

This is a very nice upgrade, going with a true 8-bit panel. It is probably to compete against the Dell U2713HM which sports a true 8-bit panel and has less back light bleeding (common problem with PLS panels), and the price was about the same. There was really not a good deal to get the ASUS PB278Q.

This is a very nice upgrade, going with a true 8-bit panel. It is probably to compete against the Dell U2713HM which sports a true 8-bit panel and has less back light bleeding (common problem with PLS panels), and the price was about the same. There was really not a good deal to get the ASUS PB278Q.

All that being said, if retailers are going to try and clear stock of the old one that might mean its time for me to finish my 5 screen setup. Depends on the price though.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Fortunately I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. 

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Aww yis. I can finally replace my TN monitor that's been plagued with this god damn annoying stuck pixel (randomly changes colour/gets stuck) 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

The ASUS PB278Q was a 6-bit panel, not a true 8-bit like this one.This is a very nice upgrade, going with a true 8-bit panel. It is probably to compete against the Dell U2713HM which sports a true 8-bit panel and has less back light bleeding (common problem with PLS panels), and the price was about the same. There was really not a good deal to get the ASUS PB278Q.

Not according to TFT Central » http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_pb278q.htm « ;)

Look under 'Specifications and Features'.

well damned diddly damn crappity iddly crappy crap doodle that's awesome.

I wonder how it will compare and how prices of both will shift. I'm guessing it's going to replace the previous one? If not and the original goes down in price I'd probably buy at least one.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I hope the price will be around $480-$500 like the current model.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

No more PWM. This will definitely be quite a nice panel. I love my PB278Q! But I will likely wait for a second revision of their new 4K panel over this.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

No more PLS :(

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

No more PLS :(

Why? It's not a good panel. It's a bit better than eIPS panel, but not as good than AH-IPS.

Cant wait for these to come our way :D

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Cant wait for these to come our way :D

Yep. I was wondering when they were going to update it.

Yep. I was wondering when they were going to update it.

IKR, its about time.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

IKR, its about time.

Damn straight! :D

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but there are two things to clarify:

1) PLS and IPS panels both support 8-bit colour depth natively. The 6-bit limitation is exclusive to TN panels.

2) Backlight bleeding nas nothing to do with it being PLS. In fact, the U2713HM was far more notorious for not only backlight bleeding, but also crosshatching. Dell has made a couple of revisions, but it has really only solved the crosshatching. To add to that, Canadian stores basically gave up on selling the monitors lately, as it is either "Not Available" or MIA. That HAS to say something.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

@Colonel_Gerdauf, IPS/PLS monitors do support 8-bit colour depth but it isn't always utilised. On cheaper monitors, even on the PA248Q, 6-bit + FRC is used to help keep the cost down. The only panel technology that utilise true 8-bit colour 100% of the time is VA/MVA/AMVA (whatever you wanna call it). However, it is the case that the ASUS PB278Q does utilise a true 8-bit colour PLS panel despite what the manual might say. TFT Central do test this every time on every single monitor that they review. I will say this though, as noted by Simon Baker of TFT Central, FRC is implemented so well in IPS/PLS panels these days that you can hardly tell the difference unless you look REALLY closely. :)

But my Asus PB278Q just arrived today... :(

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD