A Real Dumb Question

Go to solution Solved by squirrl,

sorry I just started researching this I do not understand how the wifi works on a motherboard xD

You need a wireless router to transmit the signal to the PC though. 

Once the drivers and stuff are installed (may be automatic), it will show up in the system tray as a wireless network and you just log into the network the same way as you would do on any other wireless devices.

Hello guys I just purchased a Asus z87 pro motherboard but have not built my pc yet. My question is what is the antenna used for I've heard people calling it a wifi go card I'm kinda confused about the whole wifi aspect of it. Can I only use Ethernet if I don't have the antenna plugged in. help pls

If you have no-wifi card connected you can only use Ethernet, yes.

so if I connect this antenna I will be able to have a wifi connection wirelessly without using Ethernet?

so if I connect this antenna I will be able to have a wifi connection wirelessly without using Ethernet?

Yes.

its an integrated wifi card

I know, but if it isn't connected it won't work :)

its an integrated wifi card

sorry I just started researching this I do not understand how the wifi works on a motherboard xD

You need a wireless router to transmit the signal to the PC though. 

Once the drivers and stuff are installed (may be automatic), it will show up in the system tray as a wireless network and you just log into the network the same way as you would do on any other wireless devices.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||