From GTX 460 to R9 270: How noticeable will the difference be?

Grunty

I built my current system with a 4.5ghz 2500k and 768MB GTX 460 in 2011. Everything ran pretty good when I was using an old 1280x1024 monitor. However, my games aren't running as great after I recently bought a 1080p 40" LED. I'm a MMORPG player and have never played any of those high-end shooter games. The MMOs I do play (previously TERA and now Final Fantasy XIV) are still quite graphics intensive though. My current setup runs Final Fantasy XIV between 35-44 fps with shadows and physics on low but everything else on high settings. If I switch to a r9 270, will I be able to run everything near max/ultra settings?

Other than the difference between 768MB and 2GB, how much of a difference will I notice going between the two cards? Will there be a big improvement? Thanks very much.

well a 750ti is a 480 and a 270 is 30% better than a 750ti. so I'm assuming 30% from 460 to 480... maybe around 60% better performance in todays games. 

but probably around 50% better performance in todays games like Elder scrolls online and dx11 title (isn't 460 a dx10 card?)

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

The R9 270 will make a big difference. Alone the VRAM difference will make a lot of difference. Looking at raw performance the R9 270 has about double the power of the GTX 460. So you should get 50% more performance at least in any game. Average increase should be about 75% I guess.

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E + AMD Ryzen 3800X; EVGA GTX 1070Ti FTW Supersilent; 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600; bequiet! Dark Power Pro 10 750W; Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + 2x 1TB 860 EVO; PHANTEKS Evolve X + Custom Liquid Cooling

Yeah you will see a big difference, overclock the 270 and then you will have a 270x on your hands.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

Thanks so much, everyone! I'm looking to buy one of those used ones from Ebay. They have Gigabyte R9 270s from $100-115 so I thought that's a great deal. I heard the Gigabyte ones overclock the best.

well a 750ti is a 480 and a 270 is 30% better than a 750ti. so I'm assuming 30% from 460 to 480... maybe around 60% better performance in todays games. 

but probably around 50% better performance in todays games like Elder scrolls online and dx11 title (isn't 460 a dx10 card?)

ESO will run on a toaster so long as you have a good CPU to back it up. MMORPGs rely on the CPU more than the GPU.

ESO will run on a toaster so long as you have a good CPU to back it up. MMORPGs rely on the CPU more than the GPU.

I don't know mmo's :( I was just assuming because it came out recently that it might actually use some gpu power.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

iirc the GTX 460 was one of the first DX11 gaming cards. I also think they advertised the Heaven Benchmark on some of the cards box's because of when tessellation was a big selling point of DX11