Hey LTT,

Im in the market for a new laptop and I've seen that linus has a dell XPS 12, This has already popped up on my radar with its quite good reviews and being a well regarded convertible. 

One thing I'm really looking forward to is being able to swap out the mSATA SSD. Im a real storage beast on my laptops since i use them for work and I've already filled up the 500gb SSD in my current laptop. Im thinking of putting a 1TB samsung mSATA in it.

Basically, all I'm wondering is, is there any feedback from actual long term users? 

~~Korindo~~

Cubitek Mini ITX Build : - Cubitek Mini Cube - ASUS Z87i-Pro - Intel 4770K - 16gb G.Skill Ares 1866mhz -

- Samsung 840 500gb SSD x 2 - Noctua NH-L12 Cooler - Silverstone 550 watt Strider Gold PSU - Galaxy GeForce GTX Titan -

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Hey LTT,

Im in the market for a new laptop and I've seen that linus has a dell XPS 12, This has already popped up on my radar with its quite good reviews and being a well regarded convertible. 

One thing I'm really looking forward to is being able to swap out the mSATA SSD. Im a real storage beast on my laptops since i use them for work and I've already filled up the 500gb SSD in my current laptop. Im thinking of putting a 1TB samsung mSATA in it.

Basically, all I'm wondering is, is there any feedback from actual long term users? 

My father has got on, its an awesome piece of tech, dell have really stepped their game up big time during this generation, as a hardcore tech person man guy i opened it up straight away, its pretty sexy as hell

Linus thankfully did a video on how to upgrade, i think its simple(but ive messed with many pcs in my life) but msata isnt well known 

Sadly the ram cant be changed but thats not a problem for us as my father isnt going hardcore blow your face off work on it, he does a bit of adobe lightroom editing on it but he mostly edits on the editing machine which is more powerful and has more ram.

I dont like that there arent any outputs(apart from mini display) on the laptop, you have to get an external brick to use any other stuff.

Actually great timing yesterday my mother dropped a pint of water onto the keyboard of the laptop, the think just kept on running as if nothing happened(my mother.exe crashed). I had a mini heart attack when that happened then remembered linus had a worse experience and dell tanked that as well.

Overall this xps laptop is awesome, in fact all of dells new laptops is awesome, they look like if the insprions are awesome. Id recommend dell laptops for all users apart from gamers they are great at everything but then alienware have to got and screw everything up.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I own one for about 4 months now. Linus often criticices his XPS-12, but I cannot really see his point.

The only bad thing I have is, that Dell didn't support generic drivers for Win 8.1.

Sometimes the auto screen rotation doesn't work, you'll have to kickstart it with an app (some App which shows measurements of the gyroscope, then it magically works again).

The keyboard is fantastic, battery life is also great and the screen is awesome. I use it fairly often in tablet mode, so this made sense for me.

When I was in for a new convertible I did really extensive research and always came to the conclusion, that the XPS-12 features all I want.

I do not regret that decision, this is the best piece of technology I've owned in a long time. Probably the best.

The CPU gets fairly hot and in full load the fan is noticeable (especially in calm environments). But when I'm at home browsing I almost never hear the fan.

Which is an issue with every ultrabook though.

Some old version had a screen burn in problem, but I guess they fixed it. I don't experience it with my model.

I do have the i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD version.

I'll monitor this thread if you have any more questions.

//edit:

That beeing said, this is an ultrabook convertible. You will not play (most) games with it.

If you don't need the conversion feature, just get a normal ultrabook.

If you want to play games, don't get an ultrabook.

If you want a tablet, which can transform into a laptop, get a MS Surface Pro.

If you want a laptop which can be a tablet, get an XPS-12.

My father has got on, its an awesome piece of tech, dell have really stepped their game up big time during this generation, as a hardcore tech person man guy i opened it up straight away, its pretty sexy as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehLioVUkSb0

Sadly the ram cant be changed but thats not a problem for us as my father isnt going hardcore blow your face off work on it, he does a bit of adobe lightroom editing on it but he mostly edits on the editing machine which is more powerful and has more ram.

Thanks brownninja, i've seen the clip with the msata and thats when i decided on an mSATA laptop. Ive seen some of the older dell machines, in fact, my girlfriend used to have one. however, it was terrible.

As for the ram, I'm not overly concerned as i would get the i7, 8gb version and upgrade the SSD myself pretty much day one after verifying that its all operational.

I own one for about 4 months now. Linus often criticices his XPS-12, but I cannot really see his point.

The only bad thing I have is, that Dell didn't support generic drivers for Win 8.1.

Sometimes the auto screen rotation doesn't work, you'll have to kickstart it with an app (some App which shows measurements of the gyroscope, then it magically works again).

The keyboard is fantastic, battery life is also great and the screen is awesome. I use it fairly often in tablet mode, so this made sense for me.

When I was in for a new convertible I did really extensive research and always came to the conclusion, that the XPS-12 features all I want.

I do not regret that decision, this is the best piece of technology I've owned in a long time. Probably the best.

The CPU gets fairly hot and in full load the fan is noticeable (especially in calm environments). But when I'm at home browsing I almost never hear the fan.

Some old version had a screen burn in problem, but I guess they fixed it. I don't experience it with my model.

//edit:

That beeing said, this is an ultrabook convertible. You will not play (most) games with it.

Thanks AllTernative, I'm planning on getting the same version as you, pretty much all the negatives you've pointed out are just fine by me, i won't be doing anything overly CPU intensive and i won't be playing games on it (got the desktop for that), (maybe FTL if I'm bored or on a long flight :P). The biggest concern to me when i was shopping was lots of fast and safe storage. like i said above i need a lot of storage in these laptops because i use them for my work and my 500 is already full yet i still want an ultra book so I'm willing to pay for the SSD.

I think with that I've pretty much just finished selling myself on it.

Thank you.

~~Korindo~~

Cubitek Mini ITX Build : - Cubitek Mini Cube - ASUS Z87i-Pro - Intel 4770K - 16gb G.Skill Ares 1866mhz -

- Samsung 840 500gb SSD x 2 - Noctua NH-L12 Cooler - Silverstone 550 watt Strider Gold PSU - Galaxy GeForce GTX Titan -

//edit:

I had been considering getting a surface for a while but I questioned it once I realized that if I'm going to be using it for school that last point is the tipper for me. For school I'm going to need something mostly a laptop that can be a tablet, definitely not the other way around. So long as the CPU heat is not an issue I'll likely be picking one up at the beginning of next month

I had been considering getting a surface for a while but I questioned it once I realized that if I'm going to be using it for school that last point is the tipper for me. For school I'm going to need something mostly a laptop that can be a tablet, definitely not the other way around. So long as the CPU heat is not an issue I'll likely be picking one up at the beginning of next month

in australia its tax season so ill be picking mine up after my return.

~~Korindo~~