How to Record Gameplay With Perfect Quality (No FRAPS)

orangecat

If you're still using FRAPS you're doing it all wrong. FRAPS used to be good but in my opinion its far behind compared to what we have today.

Disclaimer: Not everyone will be able to record video like this due to hardware requirements and limitations.

Hardware Requirements: Dedicated GPU, Intel iGPU with QuickSync, Second monitor

Software: MSI Afterburner, Game you want to record (optional: VLC Player)

INFO: The video i recorded was 720P @ 30FPS and the iGPU usage was about 15% so I assume you could do 2560x1440 without any problems but i can't guarantee 4K recording. Also any software that displays statistics over your game will be recorded including RivaTunerStatisticsServer. I also realise some people already know how to do this but until recently I always thought FRAPS was the only way to get good quality game recording so I don't want o hear about "i already knew this" because I don't care... Have fun. Also this way of recording video is similar to Shadowplay but not all of us have the ability to use ShadowPlay so this is in my opinion a better solution anyways.

Here is some useful YouTube information when uploading videos...

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Here is a sample video uploaded from the raw output file.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxpte9wx3oY&feature=youtu.be

post-858-0-97175900-1406271092.png

Setup

Step 1: Go into your BIOS and enable your iGPU and give it about 256MB of your system ram to use. ( I gave mine 512MB because I have lots of RAM)

Step 2: Boot into Windows and install Intel iGPU driver.

Step 3: Plug your second monitor into your iGPU port on your motherboard. ( This step is critical if you don't have a display connected to your iGPU it wont work... trust me I tried)

Step 4: Download MSI Afterburner and install it.

Step 5: Run MSI Afterburner and click settings.

Step 6: Click on the "video capture" tab and set a hotkey to start video recording.

Step 7: Under "video format" select "external plugin"

Step 8: Click the tiny box beside the "video format" dropdown with the "...".

Step 9: Under the encoder settings select "QSV.dll:0 - Intel QuickSync H.264" and hit configure.

Step 10: Choose the settings you want here but make sure the hardware acceleration is set to Direct3D 9 or else it won't work correctly.

Step 11: change the container format to "Matroska MKV" because AVI doesn't in this mode.

Step 12: Select frame size, framerate and video output folder in video capture tab. (I use Fullframe, 30FPS and I record to my desktop)

Step 13: Under "Video capture compatibility properties" change multithreaded optimization to however many threads you have in your system. (For me this option is 4 threads, you may also want to select "use dedicated encoder server")

If everything is correctly configured you shoudl be able to capture any DirectX or OpenGL game with perfect quality and no framerate cost. Just run your game with MSI Afterburner open in the background and hit your hotkey to start recording. Your video will start recording with amazing quality and no performance hit and the files aren't huge like FRAPS.

Here are some pictures:

Video capture tab settings

post-858-0-51846300-1406270246_thumb.png

External encoder configuration

post-858-0-99353000-1406270316.png

Intel QuickSync encoder settings

post-858-0-81146000-1406270358.png

Finally here is a screenshot of a video I recorded using these settings...

post-858-0-96403300-1406270699.png

Here is information about the final outputted video...

crysis_2014_07_25_01_43_20_274.mkv.txt

post-858-0-24900200-1406269787.png

i Don't do gaming videos...but if i ever want to follow my dream to become the next Pewdiepie il be sure to use this <3

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

i Don't do gaming videos...but if i ever want to follow my dream to become the next Pewdiepie il be sure to use this <3

Please don't become a pewdiepie we don't need another LOL.

Please don't become a pewdiepie we don't need another LOL.

M8 dun worry, i aint able 2 be pewshitpie

IM BATMAN.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

Unavailable video is unavailable. This seems really cool. I'm definitely going to try it out.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

Unavailable video is unavailable. This seems really cool. I'm definitely going to try it out.

Its uploading sorry. I have a 10 megabit connection and the video is about 10GB so its going to take a while plus YouTube is going to compress it more so the quality won't be perfect but ti should still be very good.

Also when i record I get 0% FPS loss unlike shadowplay that has about 5-10% pref loss.

Sounds promising, I'll give this a shot! Thanks for the guide  :)

By the way, I think there are ways to make this work even if you don't have a second monitor.

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

Its uploading sorry. I have a 10 megabit connection and the video is about 10GB so its going to take a while plus YouTube is going to compress it more so the quality won't be perfect but ti should still be very good.

Also when i record I get 0% FPS loss unlike shadowplay that has about 5-10% pref loss.

Another thing you can do to increase quality is to upscale your video to a higher resolution such as 1440p or 4k

Playing back perfect video at youtubes default 1080p it gets compressed to hell as the bitrate is super low (sub 10 megabit) when playing back at 1440p/4k it goes up to like 35 or something, so your video will look so much cleaner, even though its still only 1080p

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Sounds promising, I'll give this a shot! Thanks for the guide  :)

By the way, I think there are ways to make this work even if you don't have a second monitor.

I tried and every time i started recording it seemed fine but the video was always missing. If you can get it working without a second monitor plz let me know.

Another thing you can do to increase quality is to upscale your video to a higher resolution such as 1440p or 4k

Playing back perfect video at youtubes default 1080p it gets compressed to hell as the bitrate is super low (sub 10 megabit) when playing back at 1440p/4k it goes up to like 35 or something, so your video will look so much cleaner, even though its still only 1080p

True but if I was to do that for more bitrate I would rather have a higher resolution video anyways and for me my old GTX 460 just cant run all games at 1080P+ and still stay above 30FPS but at least i can record with amazing quality and no performance hit.

i dont have intel ........

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

True but if I was to do that for more bitrate I would rather have a higher resolution video anyways and for me my old GTX 460 just cant run all games at 1080P+ and still stay above 30FPS but at least i can record with amazing quality and no performance hit.

Well for example you can record in 720p and upscale to 1080p, it still makes a massive difference, youtube compression RUINS video

I uploaded a video to test my new camera (sony A7 full frame) and it looks amazing on my pc, once uploaded to youtube it looks like absolute arse, yet upscaled footage looks just like it did natively played

quick example play this at 1080p, then play it at 4k

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Capture card is the way to go if you ask me. I have the Aver Media Live Gamer HD after watching the videos Linus did of it and although I don't use it as much as I thought I would, when I do, it's awesome. No impact on the gpu or cpu at all when streaming or recording. 

I don't have an intel cpu though so this isn't even an option for me but if it works, go for it.  

Thats why i put that tiny disclaimer because it relies on intel QuickSync.

i will just use amd beta thingy

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Well for example you can record in 720p and upscale to 1080p, it still makes a massive difference, youtube compression RUINS video

I uploaded a video to test my new camera (sony A7 full frame) and it looks amazing on my pc, once uploaded to youtube it looks like absolute arse, yet upscaled footage looks just like it did natively played

I understand what you are saying but for me the extra file size just to upload in higher bitrate isnt worth it but definitely if all you want is quality and are willing to wait longer for the upload then it makes sense. I'm currently uploading a 10GB video to youtube (the sample video) and its just a straight 720P upload from the game.

Capture card is the way to go if you ask me. I have the Aver Media Live Gamer HD after watching the videos Linus did of it and although I don't use it as much as I thought I would, when I do, it's awesome. No impact on the gpu or cpu at all when streaming or recording. 

I don't have an intel cpu though so this isn't even an option for me but if it works, go for it.  

Capture cards are good, I use my elgato game capture HD when recording off my laptop or console (or ipad phone etc), works very well and the video is very clean with no performance hit although you do need a second hard drive to record to (preferably a fast one)

But I cant use it anymore as it tops out at 1080p and I run 1440p monitors and games, so I use shadowplay

using this method is basically the same as using a capture card but maybe with a few less options also its free so you can't really complain even if it isn't quite as good as a dedicated capture card.

Capture cards are good, I use my elgato game capture HD when recording off my laptop or console (or ipad phone etc), works very well and the video is very clean with no performance hit although you do need a second hard drive to record to (preferably a fast one)

But I cant use it anymore as it tops out at 1080p and I run 1440p monitors and games, so I use shadowplay

Give this method a try rather than shadowplay because shadowplay has a fps hit still.

I understand what you are saying but for me the extra file size just to upload in higher bitrate isnt worth it but definitely if all you want is quality and are willing to wait longer for the upload then it makes sense. I'm currently uploading a 10GB video to youtube (the sample video) and its just a straight 720P upload from the game.

Yeah it does make your video massive, but I use a video converter software to compress it down, it still looks better on youtube even when compressed heavily, its youtubes compression you want to avoid, standard video compression doenst look much different, as soon as YouTube detects a higher resolution it automatically streams at a higher bitrate and reduces compression 

Give this method a try rather than shadowplay because shadowplay has a fps hit still.

I intend to :) I need to make some videos this weekend actually

Yeah it does make your video massive, but I use a video converter software to compress it down, it still looks better on youtube even when compressed heavily, its youtubes compression you want to avoid, standard video compression doenst look much different, as soon as YouTube detects a higher resolution it automatically streams at a higher bitrate and reduces compression 

I intend to :) I need to make some videos this weekend actually

Yea YouTube compression is total garbage I think they shoudl allow you to pick your bitrate and resolution options rather than it be automatic. Also if you make a video post it in this thread or pm me on the forum i would like to see your video.

Yea YouTube compression is total garbage I think they shoudl allow you to pick your bitrate and resolution options rather than it be automatic.

The bitrates are quite specific 

2160 p (4k) 35-45 Mbps 
1440 p (2k) 10 Mbps 
1080 p 8000 kbps 
720 p 5000 kbps
480 p 2500 kbps
360 p 1000 kbps

It has to be dynamic because peoples internet varies so much, if it allowed you to pick a bitrate then some people would not be able to watch

So basically even if you record a 200mbps 720 video, it will playback at 5mbps regardless, if you upscale it to 4k, it will still be 720p, but it will be 720p at 35-45mbps

So upscale first (your video will be MASSIVE like 100gb or something), then compress it down to 35mbps 4k, and upload it

You will have a smaller file to upload and better quality

Downside is, it takes time and slows down workflow. I am looking for better ways to do it, I want my youtube channel when it launches to have THE best image quality I can afford

The bitrates are quite specific 

2160 p (4k) 35-45 Mbps 
1440 p (2k) 10 Mbps 
1080 p 8000 kbps 
720 p 5000 kbps
480 p 2500 kbps
360 p 1000 kbps

It has to be dynamic because peoples internet varies so much, if it allowed you to pick a bitrate then some people would not be able to watch

So basically even if you record a 200mbps 720 video, it will playback at 5mbps regardless, if you upscale it to 4k, it will still be 720p, but it will be 720p at 35-45mbps

So upscale first (your video will be MASSIVE like 100gb or something), then compress it down to 35mbps 4k, and upload it

You will have a smaller file to upload and better quality

Downside is, it takes time and slows down workflow. I am looking for better ways to do it, I want my youtube channel when it launches to have THE best image quality I can afford

Users with accounts that make money can upload 1080P up to 50mbps =( we only get 8.

Users with accounts that make money can upload 1080P up to 50mbps =( we only get 8.

What do you mean? where did you find that?