Save Your SSD Lifespan

Hello guy

here a good way to have a longer lifespan on your ssd this is for people have window 7.

1) Turn off Defragment for your SSD

go to All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and Disk Defragmenter

next go to "Turn on schedule"

Uncheck the Run on a Schedule box.

you can do a defrag for your hard drive

next go to "Turn on schedule"

Check the Run on a Schedule box

Choose the frequency, day, time, and disks to be used for the schedule for the deffrag

2) Hibernation

Windows' built-in hibernation feature can be a pain for your SSD. If you really don't need this feature, consider using sleep or shutdown instead, because hibernate writes your memory to the hibernation file every time you hibernate. 

You can disable hibernate by running the command from the Command Prompt: powercfg /hibernate off

as an administrator. This will disable the hibernation option and remove the hibernation file. Unfortunately It's not possible to move the hibernation file.

3) Paging

Windows' page file is meant to keep space free in the memory by swapping out memory data to the disk, this to ensure that the memory doesn't get full when you run too many programs.

However, you might have a computer that only uses 2–3 GB of memory while you have 8 GB of memory. In such case, when you are sure your memory will almost never fill to 8 GB you can really spare out a lot of SSD writes by disabling the page file without any drawback.

When you do run out of memory (e.g., if you run virtual machines), you don't want your computer to thrash your SSD because of that, so you have two solutions:

Disabling the page file

Right click ‘My Computer' and click ‘Properties'.

Go to the ‘Advanced System Settings' tab.

Click Settings in the ‘Performance' fieldset, then go to the Advanced tab.

Click Change in the ‘Virtual memory' fieldset.

Click on your SSD drive, select ‘No paging file' and click ‘Set'.

Click OK when you're done.

Moving the page file from your SSD to a storage hard drive

First disable the page file as described above.

Then, click on your preferred HDD drive, select ‘System managed size' (unless you know what you're doing) and click ‘Set'.

Click OK when you're done.

Make sure that you monitor your memory every now and then; you might be able to get around with creating a smaller page file on your HDD of only 1–2 GB.

I wouldn't recommend disabling the page file because it's better to stay on the safe side. A lot of people have a mechanical hard drive, so you could put the pagefile on that. If not, just leave the pagefile on your ssd, it's not going to kill it. Other than that, nice guide! I think this thread will fit better in the "Guides and Tutorials" section.

I wouldn't recommend disabling the page file because it's better to stay on the safe side. A lot of people have a mechanical hard drive, so you could put the pagefile on that. If not, just leave the pagefile on your ssd, it's not going to kill it. Other than that, nice guide!

If you have more than 8GB of RAM you can, I've had no page file for a good while with no adverse effects.

Error: 410

disabling the my page file and it was take up to much space on my ssd and my virtual memory. i have 64gb of ram and the virtual memory taking up to much space on my ssd. i have asus raidr ssd card

If you have more than 8GB of RAM you can, I've had no page file for a good while with no adverse effects.

You'll most likely be fine disabling it but for paranoid people its better to leave it.

disabling the my page file and it was take up to much space on my ssd and my virtual memory. i have 64gb of ram and the virtual memory taking up to much space on my ssd

well if you have 64gb of ram, you can definately disable it. Disabling it with 8gb should be fine but I feel like that's pushing it. 

i put 8GB virtual memory on my hand drive 

There is really no need to disable any of there if you're using a recent OS.

Well maybe if you wanna save something on space. But lifespan wise, its meaningless.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Paging and the page file do 3 things.
1 – Use disk space.
2 – Cause disk activity (reading/writing, but mostly reading).
3 – Use CPU cycles.
Optimizing and/or eliminating the page file can reduce these

Paging and the page file do 3 things.

1 – Use disk space.

2 – Cause disk activity (reading/writing, but mostly reading).

3 – Use CPU cycles.

Optimizing and/or eliminating the page file can reduce these

Unless you have a really old system (with little ram) this as next to none impact on a modern system.

but it still save ssd space and it lifespan. it does not need to be a old system or a new system. when you getting higher ram and going to run win 7. you will see a lot of space be used with win 7 and page file and virtual memory on to your ssd. to point out if you used google chrome it have a BrowserCache that read/wright into your ssd and if you have Recycle Bin it still move data around to read and wright. if you like to save more, keep your ssd longer. you have to do anything making sure it stay longer and save money in the end. but ea year newer ssd come out with better stuff.

Yea, might as well shut the SSD off :huh:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Win7 automatically detects SSDs and disables the defrag schedule, but it doesn't hurt to chek twice.

I don't get people who don't shut down but hibernate instead. A shut down has something way more satisfactory, because you know that everything is fresh the next time you start your computer.

who cares...

What Hibernation does

The Hiberfil.sys hidden system file is located in the root folder of the drive where the operating system is installed. The Windows Kernel Power Manager reserves this file when you install Windows. The size of this file is approximately equal to how much random access memory (RAM) is installed on the computer.

The computer uses the Hiberfil.sys file to store a copy of the system memory on the hard disk when the hybrid sleep setting is turned on. If this file is not present, the computer cannot hibernate

Again, worrying about ssds endurance is as pointless as leaving it in the box, never using it.

SSDs are meant to be used.