Positive Air Pressure?

Cs342

If my front fan is meant to intake air and both the rear and top fans are meant for exhaust, then how is positive airflow even possible in a regular case unless I install fans on the side and in the bottom of the case or switch the top rad fans to intake? So many people swear by positive airflow, yet it isn't even able to achieve more intake fans than exhaust fans unless you force cold air down the top of the case instead of letting hot air rise. In most cases there is only room for 1 front intake, 1 rear exhaust and 2 top exhausts, making the air pressure negative.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Make the rear exhaust an intake so you have neutral pressure.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Also make sure that all your intakes are filtered otherwise positive airflow is useless.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

what @tmcclelland455 said, and i might be wrong but don't cases usually have 2 front fans slots? That's the kind of image i have

CPU: Intel i7-4770k MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Formula RAM: G.Skill RipJawsX 2x8GB 1600Mhz GPU: Asus GTX 780 DCuII CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo STORAGE: ADATA SX900 256GB / WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair AX760 760W MONITOR: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM KEYBOARD: Ducky Shine 3 MOUSE: Logitech G602 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/106614-project-insert-name-enthoo-primo-rigid-acrylic-red/

So I'd have to buy a fan filter for the rear fan? Is it really worth doing that just to get positive pressure?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

something to ponder:

if you use an air filter on the intake fans, it suddenly reduces the amount of air

brought into the case. if fans are the same..

2 filtered fans and two exhaust fans is still a negative pressure scenario

3 filtered fans and two exhaust fans is still going to be a negative pressure course.

can pretty much count on 4:1 to make an equalize pressure case

Just amount of fans doesn't make anything. If you truly want to know what airpressure your case has, you need to know CFMs for both intake and exhaust fans. So basicly you can modify airflow in cases that have limited mounts for fans. Like make intake have more CFM by running them full speed or higher speed than exhaust ones.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If my front fan is meant to intake air and both the rear and top fans are meant for exhaust, then how is positive airflow even possible in a regular case unless I install fans on the side and in the bottom of the case or switch the top rad fans to intake? So many people swear by positive airflow, yet it isn't even able to achieve more intake fans than exhaust fans unless you force cold air down the top of the case instead of letting hot air rise. In most cases there is only room for 1 front intake, 1 rear exhaust and 2 top exhausts, making the air pressure negative.

Positive or negative air pressure is about total intake CFM vs total exhaust CFM. Two 140's intake vs two 120's exhaust, would generally mean higher intake CFM. Most cases I've looked at have 2 or more front fan mounts, 1 or 2 bottom fan mounts, 2 top fan mounts and 1 rear fan mount. This is more enough flexibility to setup positive air pressure.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

might be helpful:

http-~~-//youtu.be/4NYHC3DXynM

This :-)

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

something to ponder:

if you use an air filter on the intake fans, it suddenly reduces the amount of air

brought into the case. if fans are the same..

2 filtered fans and two exhaust fans is still a negative pressure scenario

3 filtered fans and two exhaust fans is still going to be a negative pressure course.

can pretty much count on 4:1 to make an equalize pressure case

This.

My case has very restrictive filters (I added carbon filters from an air purifier) and I have 4*120 intake, and 2*120 exhaust and dust gets in, not though the filters tho, the slight negative pressure.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."