<Program>.exe stopped working

dibudaia

Hi,

First of all, sorry for any English mistakes, I'm Brazilian.

I'm having trouble with my computer for a long time now and finally decided to get help on forums over the internet. The problem is: sometimes when I try to open a program an alert pops up saying that "<program>.exe stopped working" and the program closes. At first I suspected it was a problem with an specific program, but it's just random which programs will open and which won't and sometimes I have to keep restarting the computer several times so that I can open a program I want.

My computer is like this:

CPU: AMD FX 8120

Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 7770

RAM: 8Gb

I tried other forums and couldn't fix this problem, hope you guys can help me.

Well, later we'll see if it could be a hardware problem. But it's likely not. You may eventually have to try a clean install . For now, open command prompt as admin and try 

sfc /scannow

And well see where this gets us. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Completed the scan. It didn't point anything wrong.

Perform a memory test using Memtest. Also, boot your system in Safe mode with Networking and see if the issue persists.

Thou shall not abuse thy monkey, thou shall not misuse thy monkey.

Left the memory test overnight and it didn't show anything wrong.
I booted in safe mode, but I can't test it properly since it boots without the video and sound drivers to open more programs than just the browser...

Then I suggest you try a clean boot to determine if a service is causing you issues. Just remember to note the services that were enabled (aside from the Microsoft services) before you disable them to re-enable them after you're done diagnosing.

By the way, did you upgrade your Windows from 7 to 8/8.1?

Check the BSoD log (C:\Windows\Minidump\).  You may get a hint from there.  Otherwise event viewer can tell you a lot about your issues.  To open BSoD logs you first need a debugging symbols package from Microsoft. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Analyze-a-BSOD-Crash-Dump/

"We will never make a 32-bit operating system." -- Bill Gates, 1989

Check the BSoD log (C:\Windows\Minidump\).  You may get a hint from there.  Otherwise event viewer can tell you a lot about your issues.  To open BSoD logs you first need a debugging symbols package from Microsoft. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Analyze-a-BSOD-Crash-Dump/

He's not having BSoDs I believe, but good call on the Event Viewer. Although I suspect it'll point to the shell32.dll file. I was gonna ask him if he modified/replaced the shell32.dll for custom resources, but he ran the System File Checker which should've replaced it if it was modified.

I didn't upgrade it from 7 to 8/8.1 or modfie anything. I'll try the Clean Boot later and post here if it worked or not.

Ps.: Sorry if this sound too newbie, but... What's this event viewer?

Here. After you open the Event Viewer, navigate to Windows logs and then application. Look for the latest logs with a red exclamation mark, and a source value of Application Error, and post its detailed content here.

This was the last log with an error:

Nome do Log:   Application
Fonte:         Application Error
Data:          29/07/2014 18:25:33
Identificação do Evento:1000
Categoria da Tarefa:(100)
Nível:         Erro
Palavras-chave:Clássico
Usuário:       N/D
Computador:    bruno-PC
Descrição:
Nome de aplicativo com falha: BatmanOrigins.exe, versão: 1.0.0.0, carimbo de hora: 0x53597942
Nome do módulo de falhas: unknown, versão: 0.0.0.0, carimbo de hora: 0x00000000
Código de exceção: 0xc0000005
Deslocamento com falha: 0x1100a8c0
Identificação do processo com falha: 0x1090
Hora de início do aplicativo com falha: 0x01cfab7379c60b69
Caminho do aplicativo com falha: E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Batman Arkham Origins\SinglePlayer\Binaries\Win32\BatmanOrigins.exe
FCaminho do módulo de falhas: unknown
Identificação do Relatório: df4388b4-1766-11e4-a555-60a44caa0528
XML de Evento:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-07-29T21:25:33.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>37556</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>bruno-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>BatmanOrigins.exe</Data>
    <Data>1.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>53597942</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>00000000</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>1100a8c0</Data>
    <Data>1090</Data>
    <Data>01cfab7379c60b69</Data>
    <Data>E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Batman Arkham Origins\SinglePlayer\Binaries\Win32\BatmanOrigins.exe</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>df4388b4-1766-11e4-a555-60a44caa0528</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Sorry, I forgot the system is in portuguese... I can translate it to english if necessary.

I think that's not necessary. I'm not very good with these logs but I looked up error 0xc0000005 and it's an access violation error. Now there are numerous causes for this like viruses, faulty RAM, corrupted registry, and installation errors. We've eliminated the faulty RAM, so it's probably one of the other causes. Have you updated your GPU drivers lately? Windows updated? Or installed a program and everything went downhill afterwards? Are there recent restore points created by Windows when it updated? Some specified kb2859537 update as the culprit for that error in some occasions.

I updated the GPU drivers, but the problem appeared before that (and persists), and I didn't update my windows nor installed anything new. You said faulty RAM, do you think it could be the lack of it? Like i have to buy more...?

No, you don't need more RAM, and faulty RAM means a damaged one. I suggest you proceed with the clean boot.

Sounds like a possible Virus or hard drive failure.
Lets start with the less troubling one: Virus.

Follow these steps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw5nvzDwcDo
If after everything is done you still have this issue, the next step is to re install windows.
That will definitively tell you if the issue was a virus that screwed something up.
If the issue is still there after both the virus removal AND the windows re install, you are looking at failing hardware.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

I already ran Malware Antibytes and it didn't show up anything. I'll proceed with the clean boot.
If it turns out to be hardware problem, what do you think might be the problem? 

I already ran Malware Antibytes and it didn't show up anything. I'll proceed with the clean boot.

If it turns out to be hardware problem, what do you think might be the problem? 

my first reaction unless it is a clear failure of a part is the hard drive.

Update me when you have finished the steps and we can go from there

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

throwing something out here-might be the hard drive. If it stops working intermittently, stuff stays open until it tires to access your hdd. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I proceeded with the clean boot, but the problem persisted.
For the moment I can't re-install windows, but as soon as I finish a job here (maybe in the next few days) I'll try it...

For the moment I can't re-install windows, but as soon as I finish a job here (maybe in the next few days) I'll try it...

Hmm.. It sounds like from here a re install is the next step. Let me know!

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

for now can you check the SMART status of your hard disk? 

muh specs 

All parts black

Do you have any recent restore points you can use? Might as well try that before a clean install.