What do you want on a smart watch?

KevinTYJ

So.. wondering about things lately.

What do you guys want the most on a smartwatch?

List some things you guys want. just curious, me personally want a simple watch like smartwatch like moto360. 

What do you guys want?

Kevin Jin

Linked In

If you mean new that they don't have, not much. From what was shown, it'll do exactly what I need/want.

1- The time displayed brightly enough and constantly (no washed out idle display BS)
2- Convenient wireless charging (I'm not plugging it in every night and I'm not lining it up with a stupid dock that doesn't work half the time). The Moto360 looks interesting but if the dock sucks I won't get it.
3- A metal wristband because I'm not 12 and I don't like leather wristbands. No moto360 for me!
4- Notifications for all my crap (email, texts, new brazzers video)
5- Circular display

6- Thin, not much more than 1cm/0.4in thick.
7- Control of some apps, take phone calls, microphone for when my phone is in my pocket and my headphones are plugged in and I need to get the phone call done quickly

Skype. Because do you know how awesome it would be to be like a spy and video chatting someone on your watch while your in like a corridor!!!

For it to be actually smart but not like C3P0 smart that frigging android puts the A in annoying. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I want to be able to control my phone when I can't control my phone (that would make a good slogan) to turn on and off WiFi, make phone calls (through an earpiece, not from the watch like the Gear) respond to texts, find my phone if it's lost somewhere in my house. I'm all in for voice interface as long as it's accurate so I don't have to repeat because that would be lame in public :P. Also to look like the Moto 360. Also to be compatible with third parties, so you can reply to Facebook Messenger chats and alike, but not become another smartphone so we are not attached to our wrists. Oh and bright and vivid IPS display that is always on with no glare and week long battery life. Also wireless charging. Don't know if it's too much to ask.

what do you guys think of standalone smart watches?

do you guys think that they should give us a choice to what os we put on there?

Kevin Jin

Linked In

1- The time displayed brightly enough and constantly (no washed out idle display BS)

2- Convenient wireless charging (I'm not plugging it in every night and I'm not lining it up with a stupid dock that doesn't work half the time). The Moto360 looks interesting but if the dock sucks I won't get it.

3- A metal wristband because I'm not 12 and I don't like leather wristbands. No moto360 for me!

4- Notifications for all my crap (email, texts, new brazzers video)

5- Circular display

6- Thin, not much more than 1cm/0.4in thick.

7- Control of some apps, take phone calls, microphone for when my phone is in my pocket and my headphones are plugged in and I need to get the phone call done quickly

Hmm.. all of that looks so fascinating, but what kind of charging do you men like instead of like megnetic stuff and docks that you have to placeyour watch in, you want something you just put on and it charges no matter of the orientation?

Kevin Jin

Linked In

Pebble Steel design and screen, running Google Wear. It'd look more like a normal watch then a Moto 360 in my opinion, and always on screen.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

i want the functionality of the gear 2, but with a charging design thats 100x better. i think pebble has the charger down for it, or even the Qualcomm toq.

~~Korindo~~

Cubitek Mini ITX Build : - Cubitek Mini Cube - ASUS Z87i-Pro - Intel 4770K - 16gb G.Skill Ares 1866mhz -

- Samsung 840 500gb SSD x 2 - Noctua NH-L12 Cooler - Silverstone 550 watt Strider Gold PSU - Galaxy GeForce GTX Titan -

To tell me the time, smartly

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Exactly what Hazy said, with voice activated and telling you the time. Oh, and I want the typical 'to' and 'after' the nearest hour telling you, like twenty-to-eleven, that sounds more natural to me, at least in Swiss. 

And for something smartphony, a QR code scanner and a simple mirror with the camera, if that isn't implemented in smartwatches yet.

Hmm.. all of that looks so fascinating, but what kind of charging do you men like instead of like megnetic stuff and docks that you have to placeyour watch in, you want something you just put on and it charges no matter of the orientation?

Here's the thing, I have plenty of electronic devices that I carry around and have to charge and I like everyone here like convenience in technology. If I'm to buy a smart watch, which frankly I don't really need (nobody does), then it better be convenient all the way. I have a Nexus 4 and a wireless charger, and if it's not placed just right on its platform it won't charge and I'll wake up in the morning with my phone at 25%. This makes me want to toss it out the window and cry for days. If I bought a smart watch, first off it'd have a metal wristband. Now the good metal wristbands are ones like the one at the bottom of the post which aren't easily removable from the watch. Maybe I'm difficult but I'm not likely to buy a watch with anything else. Anyhow so the problem with that is that if I put it on the dock, there's the wristband under the watch, perhaps messing with the charger or whatever. If I'm able to lay the watch flat with its wristband under it on my charger and it charges every time, I'll be happy. If I need to fiddle with it for 30 seconds to get it just right and it stops charging when I knock my toe on the desk, then I'll get annoyed with it and after a few weeks the watch will find its way into my pile of unused hardware.

Metal%20Bracelet-01.jpg

hmm... what would you guys care more on

Epaper display with out touch, but always on - battery life is awesome (5days or so)

-

Full color gorilla glass display always on function available with touch but only 2days of battery life.  (bezleless design, cause lcds now days really don't have a border)

I would choose the full color, just cause you would have more ppi and more customizability 

Kevin Jin

Linked In

I agree with GrmanRodriguez am app to find my phone easily when lost would make a smart watch very useful to me.