Building my second PC, have some potentially dumb questions.

So, as the Topic Title says, I am going to be building my second PC soon (hopefully).

I was just bouncing around between NCIX-US and Newegg, and noticed something when I was trying to narrow down the selection of Motherboards. For what ever reason, Newegg had two options under CPU type, even though I had already specified that I was looking for a mobo that would have an LGA 1150 socket type.  One was for: 4th-Generation Core i5, i7 (LGA 1150); with the second for: Core i7/ i5/ i3/ Pentium/ Celeron (LGA1150).

Now, my first build was with the first generation APU from AMD, so I haven't really built one from the ground up in a long while, and was hoping that someone could explain that to me?  I figure that the second option is more for 3rd generation and before for the Core processors, but why leave out i3 for the other option?

Either way, as it stands for now, I am only really looking to build a PC that will run the only game that I play on a regular basis (World of Warcraft) at a good framerate (i figure 60 in raids would be awesome for me), and not too horrible for some other games that I would love to try.

Right now for CPU I am thinking about just a regular i5-4670 or that Pentium G3258 "Anniversary Edition" that Linus reviewed a few weeks ago.

So, as the Topic Title says, I am going to be building my second PC soon (hopefully).

I was just bouncing around between NCIX-US and Newegg, and noticed something when I was trying to narrow down the selection of Motherboards. For what ever reason, Newegg had two options under CPU type, even though I had already specified that I was looking for a mobo that would have an LGA 1150 socket type.  One was for: 4th-Generation Core i5, i7 (LGA 1150); with the second for: Core i7/ i5/ i3/ Pentium/ Celeron (LGA1150).

Now, my first build was with the first generation APU from AMD, so I haven't really built one from the ground up in a long while, and was hoping that someone could explain that to me?  I figure that the second option is more for 3rd generation and before for the Core processors, but why leave out i3 for the other option?

Either way, as it stands for now, I am only really looking to build a PC that will run the only game that I play on a regular basis (World of Warcraft) at a good framerate (i figure 60 in raids would be awesome for me), and not too horrible for some other games that I would love to try.

Right now for CPU I am thinking about just a regular i5-4670 or that Pentium G3258 "Anniversary Edition" that Linus reviewed a few weeks ago.

Can you link to those mobos so we can have a look? I bet it's just lousy spec writing. If it's the same socket, every CPU with that socket type should be able to work on it, right?

Git Gud.

Don't worry about it. If the motherboard is 1150 socket,every 1150 cpu is compatible.

I'd go for the i5 if you have the cash,there is just no competition here.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Just for the hell of it, how 'bout you post a full PCPartPicker link for the build. I wanna see it :D

Git Gud.

Some z87 motherboards don't have their BIOS updated to support the Haswell refresh, so to avoid any issues, I'd recommend purchasing a z97 over z87. Not to mention the support for Broadwell (if I remember correctly.)

Just be aware that Linus and friends were excited about the Pentium because of it's crazy overclock ability.  If you don't plan on doing that, think about something else perhaps.  Based on your selection of the non-K 4670 I assume you don't plan to overclock.

Edit:

Actually, I shouldn't put words in their mouths.  It just seemed that way.  For what it did in the testing, the price is ridiculously good.  I don't know whether WOW benefits from more cores or not.

Some z87 motherboards don't have their BIOS updated to support the Haswell refresh, so to avoid any issues, I'd recommend purchasing a z97 over z87. Not to mention the support for Broadwell (if I remember correctly.)

Z97 will give you some headroom for upgrading your CPU within the next couple of years. However, this is not an issue if you're only planning on using the i5 4670 or 4670k. Those will work on a z87 board.

Git Gud.

Z97 will give you some headroom for upgrading your CPU within the next couple of years. However, this is not an issue if you're only planning on using the i5 4670 or 4670k. Those will work on a z87 board.

Righto. Still good information for his decision. The 4690 isn't much more expensive than the older counterpart, so it's almost common sense to buy it then.

Righto. Still good information for his decision. The 4690 isn't much more expensive than the older counterpart, so it's almost common sense to buy it then.

Yeah, if within the budget, get a Z97 board with a 4690. The value comes from the upgrade headway of the board, mostly, even if the CPU performance increase is small.

Had I been more patient with my own build I would have gotten a Z97 as well, but even with a 4670k on a Z87 I'm good to go for a while.

Git Gud.

Just for the hell of it, how 'bout you post a full PCPartPicker link for the build. I wanna see it :D

ok, another question popped up... How do I post a PCPartPicker link?  Just make up a profile, save it and post the link for the saved list?

Also, thanks for the suggestions! I was talking about along the left side of the screen for narrowing down search results after choosing LGA 1150 as a socket type, they had the two previously mentioned options, and that's why I was confused.

ok, another question popped up... How do I post a PCPartPicker link?  Just make up a profile, save it and post the link for the saved list?

Also, thanks for the suggestions! I was talking about along the left side of the screen for narrowing down search results after choosing LGA 1150 as a socket type, they had the two previously mentioned options, and that's why I was confused.

Build your rig in pcpartpicker and when it's done, you will see the export/markup button. Click it and select BBcode.Then copy/paste here.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: *Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: *Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: *MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($137.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: *G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Intel 530 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($74.94 @ NCIX US)
Storage: *Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($181.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *MSI GeForce GTX 760 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Case: *NZXT H440 (Orange/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit)  ($105.06 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: *Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor  ($479.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: *Acer G227HQLbi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($137.58 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: *Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: *Razer Naga Epic Wireless Laser Mouse  ($107.39 @ NCIX US)
Total: $2116.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-25 17:02 EDT-0400

Please don't get the Razer Naga

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Forget the socket .. If you choose the right chipset you can never go wrong with socket .. 

If your target is i5 4670 then your best bet is a motherboard based on the Z97 chipset .. Z87 would also work but consider it only if there is considerably low offer going on .. otherwise not worth it to go for older model .. 

Rig1LianLi O11 Dynamic Evo | Asus Crosshair VIII Formula | Ryzen 9 5950x  | 2TB Gen 4 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 49" 5120x1440 

Rig2: TT Tower 200 | Asus X670e-i | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | 2TB Gen 5 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 57" 7680x2160  | Oculus Quest Pro

Please don't get the Razer Naga

LOL, yeah, I can see why you say not to get one, I only listed that one, because I already have the 2012 edition, love using it! works better than the 2014 a friend got me.  I like it for WoW, and stuff like that, but I also like it for programming some different code strings that I hate having to type all the time for websites, or even Photoshop.

Forget the socket .. If you choose the right chipset you can never go wrong with socket .. 

If your target is i5 4670 then your best bet is a motherboard based on the Z97 chipset .. Z87 would also work but consider it only if there is considerably low offer going on .. otherwise not worth it to go for older model .. 

Yeah, figured that it was a safe bet on the Z97 boards, so that's what I am going with.