The Audio Board's Frequently Asked Questions, Pre-answered!

How's your onboard sound?

Sounds biased and lacking. 

I'm new to DAC/AMP, looking to find a good first one, want to upgrade from my Xonar DG sound card, got ATH-M50x headphones.

Is the NEW FIIO E10K still good?

Is ALO AUDIO THE ISLAND USB DAC & HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER better then FIIO E10K, i know there is a big price difference but i'm getting it for half price and the E10K is just 110 cheaper.

If someone can help please.

You'll get more volume, and that's really about it.  Once the amp is audibly transparent you're just hearing the brushed aluminum finish and tube lights while you admire your new toy.  If you just want a portable clean amp you can trust, the E10K is fine as far as I know, but I've never owned one, just the old E10 which is good except my volume pot has oxidized enough that it scratches when I adjust the volume.  I take mine on a plane every week though, so it takes more abuse than a normal person would give it.

I'd really just use the onboard though unless you really MUST buy something.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

How's your onboard sound?

Sounds biased and lacking. 

You'll get more volume, and that's really about it.  Once the amp is audibly transparent you're just hearing the brushed aluminum finish and tube lights while you admire your new toy.  If you just want a portable clean amp you can trust, the E10K is fine as far as I know, but I've never owned one, just the old E10 which is good except my volume pot has oxidized enough that it scratches when I adjust the volume.  I take mine on a plane every week though, so it takes more abuse than a normal person would give it.

I'd really just use the onboard though unless you really MUST buy something.

Ok thanks guys for your input on this, i think i'll try the E10K and get rid of my Asus one, and plus i can use the E10K with my Macbook and my android phone, which looks like a plus to me :)

BTW.. my onboard audio sucks lol :P

Ok thanks guys for your input on this, i think i'll try the E10K and get rid of my Asus one, and plus i can use the E10K with my Macbook and my android phone, which looks like a plus to me :)

You can't use the E10k with your phone.

You can't use the E10k with your phone.

Yes your right, my bad :D

Well as long as it works fine on pc and mac, should be all good.

fair enough

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Chances are not all channels were used.

You can check RCXPro to see each channel or just import into Premiere/FCPX/Avid and it should state if there are four used channels.

What was the recording setup for audio?

Chances are not all channels were used. You can check RCXPro to see each channel or just import into Premiere/FCPX/Avid and it should state if there are four used channels. What was the recording setup for audio?

.... wrong thread bro?

.... wrong thread bro?

lol seeing your new avatar plastered everywhere gave me quite a turn.

• 1 month later...

can you add in the FAQ the difference between monitor headphones, reference headphones and Hi-Fi headphones? These terms are used all over the place and it can be quite confusing for people trying to buy a good pair of headphones.

can you add in the FAQ the difference between monitor headphones, reference headphones and Hi-Fi headphones? These terms are used all over the place and it can be quite confusing for people trying to buy a good pair of headphones.

It means very little. Monitor headphones are reference headphones. They're supposed to be closer to a neutral sound signature. It means it's supposed to be closer to what the artist used when listening to their track while mixing it, so you are hearing what the artist heard. Hi-fi technically means high-fidelity, which would mean monitor headphones. But, people don't mean that when they say it typically. They typically mean "very good" audio or very expensive audio.

And staup stealing my username pls.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Edit: yeah, forget it, it's just a double post, basically.

Those words refer to what the manufacturer designed them for and/or are marketing them as, but there's no consensus on which features are needed to qualify. Plenty of people use reference headphones for hi fi, monitors for DJ, etc.

It's like the difference between a plumber's hammer and a carpenter's hammer (ie none).

If I have an external DAC/AMP combo already, should I get a passive speaker?

From what I have researched, active speakers are better than passive speakers.

"Active monitors have their amplifiers built in. This presents a few benefits, such as not having to deal with extra rack gear and knowing that the internal amplifier is specifically matched to that speaker for the best sonic performance." [http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/studio-monitors-buying-guide/#active_passive]

However, if i buy an active speaker instead, and at the same time I want to avoid plugging it directly into my motherboard's onboard soundcard, is it OK to plug it into the external DAC/AMP combo? Will the amplifier from the DAC/AMP combo + amplifier from the active speakers have an effect on the quality of the sound?

If I have an external DAC/AMP combo already, should I get a passive speaker?

From what I have researched, active speakers are better than passive speakers.

"Active monitors have their amplifiers built in. This presents a few benefits, such as not having to deal with extra rack gear and knowing that the internal amplifier is specifically matched to that speaker for the best sonic performance." [http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/studio-monitors-buying-guide/#active_passive]

However, if i buy an active speaker instead, and at the same time I want to avoid plugging it directly into my motherboard's onboard soundcard, is it OK to plug it into the external DAC/AMP combo? Will the amplifier from the DAC/AMP combo + amplifier from the active speakers have an effect on the quality of the sound?

Some of the best speakers in the world are passive, so the "active speakers are better" is a weird statement. 

Some DAC/Amps have a line out that won't amplify the signal. However even if you plug your speakers to the DAC/Amp, practically it won't affect sound quality, unless the amp (from the DAC/Amp) is bad. 

What DAC/Amp do you have in mind?

Some of the best speakers in the world are passive, so the "active speakers are better" is a weird statement. 

Some DAC/Amps have a line out that won't amplify the signal. However even if you plug your speakers to the DAC/Amp, practically it won't affect sound quality, unless the amp (from the DAC/Amp) is bad. 

What DAC/Amp do you have in mind?

Fiio E10K [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LP3AMC2/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2I2ABOTKB8VI3]

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed...

I love how one of the tags to this thread is "deja-vu".  :lol:

My tags are always funny.  Check my other threads.

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 months later...

Why is the thing for power conditioning 'NO'? I've had recordings ruined because of dodgy power!

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Why is the thing for power conditioning 'NO'? I've had recordings ruined because of dodgy power!

because if you're in a recording studio you need good power.  Audiophiles like to buy pretty boxes that "fix" a rotational velocidensity problem they swear they have.  For example:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/762967/uptone-audio-usb-regen

because if you're in a recording studio you need good power.  Audiophiles like to buy pretty boxes that "fix" a rotational velocidensity problem they swear they have.  For example:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/762967/uptone-audio-usb-regen

oooooooh, so conditioning of the kind that does fuck all but steal your money :P I see

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

oooooooh, so conditioning of the kind that does fuck all but steal your money :P I see

yes, Uninterrupted Power Supplies are attached too all my computing equipment, but never will I need to CLEAN my digital USB signal.