Low pressure with BP D5 Pump top

Go to solution Solved by B NEGATIVE,

D5's and DDC pumps work best with the impeller pulling from the center,not from the outside,it doesnt help that the BP top is not the best for flowrates anyway.

Look at the Laing stock tops,they are like that for a reason.

Hi all, I got my hands on a d5 mod top with res, and am also using the pump top.  When i use the top tube as an inlet, I get normal flow and pressure.  However, whenever I use the inlet opposite the outlet side, I get very low pressure in the pump.  

There are 2 90* fittings as in/out, so I expect a little bit of restriction there, but when I use the in/out inline with each other, it's not moving water at all.

Any thoughts?

Hi all, I got my hands on a d5 mod top with res, and am also using the pump top.  When i use the top tube as an inlet, I get normal flow and pressure.  However, whenever I use the inlet opposite the outlet side, I get very low pressure in the pump.  

There are 2 90* fittings as in/out, so I expect a little bit of restriction there, but when I use the in/out inline with each other, it's not moving water at all.

Any thoughts?

Nah the 90 degree fittings barely give any restrictions. It could be the pump top? No obstructions in the in or outlet? Faulty pump top? Air bubbles? Tight bends with tubing? 

How are you measuring the flow/pressure? Are you seeing crazy temp increases that would indicate that the water isn't flowing?

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Nah the 90 degree fittings barely give any restrictions. It could be the pump top? No obstructions in the in or outlet? Faulty pump top? Air bubbles? Tight bends with tubing? 

How are you measuring the flow/pressure? Are you seeing crazy temp increases that would indicate that the water isn't flowing?

No obstructions as far as I can tell, and no kinks or tight runs at all.  I was filling the loop last night with it in that orientation and the pump wasn't pushing water anywhere, really.  When I use the inlet up top, all works well again.

No obstructions as far as I can tell, and no kinks or tight runs at all.  I was filling the loop last night with it in that orientation and the pump wasn't pushing water anywhere, really.  When I use the inlet up top, all works well again.

Hmm, don't think I know what it is then. I can sit here speculating a bunch of things but that won't get you anywhere. Hopefully someone who's had this problem or has more exp troubleshooting custom loops can help you out. @airdeano ?

I'm not saying you don't have a problem, you could have one but I've seen a lot of people worry when there is nothing wrong. So if you aren't using a sure fire way to measure the flow pressure (say a flowmeter) or if you aren't seeing temp spikes in a manner that would indicate that all isn't well. There could be nothing wrong.

I hope you find a solution for your problem, you could just run it from the res top but I get that you want to know that using the in/oulet will work too.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Hmm, don't think I know what it is then. I can sit here speculating a bunch of things but that won't get you anywhere. Hopefully someone who's had this problem or has more exp troubleshooting custom loops can help you out. @airdeano ?

I'm not saying you don't have a problem, you could have one but I've seen a lot of people worry when there is nothing wrong. So if you aren't using a sure fire way to measure the flow pressure (say a flowmeter) or if you aren't seeing temp spikes in a manner that would indicate that all isn't well. There could be nothing wrong.

I hope you find a solution for your problem, you could just run it from the res top but I get that you want to know that using the in/oulet will work too.

Thanks, appreciate the input.

@moos

you have an air bubble/lock within the loop and it is not allowing the coolant to

return quick enough. hence the lack of visual in the reservoir. usually the top

radiator is the culprit. the loop should work as a hydraulic system. 1liter out

and 1liter in and if air is inside, this affects the loop performance in moving

coolant properly.

@moos

you have an air bubble/lock within the loop and it is not allowing the coolant to

coolant properly.

That makes sense, I'll try it out again when I get home today.  I was short my front rad when I was doing this as it was leaking because EK didn't put an o-ring in one of the valves...  I'm draining again today to put it back, so I'll double check.  Thanks a bunch.

D5's and DDC pumps work best with the impeller pulling from the center,not from the outside,it doesnt help that the BP top is not the best for flowrates anyway.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

@moos

coolant properly.

Good to know.  I needed some extra stuff anyway, so I tossed in the 3 port top and will just reconfigure my loop to run that way when I get the parts in.  Thanks to all for the help!

Well this is a sign of a blockage in the inlet at the bottom or what you think is an inlet maybe an oulet which would in turn cause a reduction in flow.......here comes the "that's what she said joke) you just have your tube in the wrong HOLE....that's what she said....heh heh.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.