FX CPU in m-ATX MOBO

@dragoon20005 Wich cheap ATX MOBO would you then recomend for the am3+

The Gigabyte 970-UD3P is well regarded. There's also the M5A97 (EVO) R2.0.

There's a new MSI 970 Gaming also that's supposed to be quite good.

thats because they use a 3rd party chip for the SATA 3 and USB 3

but main problem is the VRMs

they dont supply enough power for 6 cores let alone 8 cores

They have enough power for 4.4ghz on my Asus M5A97. The biggest issue is not the VRMs. You can still overclock on 4+1/2 boards. The issue is VRM cooling. Once they hit 53c they will throttle the CPU.

Sure, you won't be getting anywhere near 5ghz but this board is a great if you keep it sensible.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-ga-78lmt-usb3-amd-760g-am3plus-ddr3-sata-ii-3gb-s-raid-pcie-20-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-matx

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

They have enough power for 4.4ghz on my Asus M5A97. The biggest issue is not the VRMs. You can still overclock on 4+1/2 boards. The issue is VRM cooling. Once they hit 53c they will throttle the CPU.

Sure, you won't be getting anywhere near 5ghz but this board is a great if you keep it sensible.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-ga-78lmt-usb3-amd-760g-am3plus-ddr3-sata-ii-3gb-s-raid-pcie-20-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-matx

So what you are saying is that getting a board without VRM cooling will get too hot?

So what you are saying is that getting a board without VRM cooling will get too hot?

Yes. My M5A97 EVO R2.0 which is quite well heatsinked belches out fire everywhere at stock speeds on fx 8320 :(

Yes. My M5A97 EVO R2.0 which is quite well heatsinked belches out fire everywhere at stock speeds on fx 8320 :(

Hmm do that count for ATX too or do they handle the voltage better?

Hmm do that count for ATX too or do they handle the voltage better?

This is an ATX board, a reasonably good one too :(

ATX is generally better as there's more room for heatsinks/vrms, but you can't really tame the FX chips :P

OK quick lesson. 99.9% of the boards being sold for FX CPUs were designed to run quad core Denebs. Thus, the manufacturers never thought the VRMs would even get warm.

Sadly they've been really cunning and have said "Yeah you can run a FX in this board" but what they mean is yes, it will work at 1.7ghz when the VRMs get too hot.

There's a function on that board (the Giga) you need to set to make it overclock. Once you do? you can hit 4.2ghz easily.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

There's only a few AM3+ Sata 6Gb/s boards. 2 dimms, no vrm cooling. Good for budget builds, but not much else imo. These are the two I found on newegg, and have decent reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130722

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157323

I'd really recommend ATX for AM3+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

it dependss, but if you do a workstation build you will get atx anyway, nowadays dimms have up to 8GB anyway

OK quick lesson. 99.9% of the boards being sold for FX CPUs were designed to run quad core Denebs. Thus, the manufacturers never thought the VRMs would even get warm.

Sadly they've been really cunning and have said "Yeah you can run a FX in this board" but what they mean is yes, it will work at 1.7ghz when the VRMs get too hot.

There's a function on that board (the Giga) you need to set to make it overclock. Once you do? you can hit 4.2ghz easily.

My Asus a88xm-a has no heatsink and my 100watts cpu runs just fine, what you couldnt say about the mobo before

it dependss, but if you do a workstation build you will get atx anyway, nowadays dimms have up to 8GB anyway

My Asus a88xm-a has no heatsink and my 100watts cpu runs just fine, what you couldnt say about the mobo before

What CPU a FX or ?

What CPU a FX or ?

I would recommend you getting an AMD Athlon 760K with an ASUS A88XM-A/ASUS A88XM-PLUS, the plus has 2 x16 lanes and a VRM heatsink

keep in mind that the first x16 lane will run as Pcie 2.0 because its a richland cpu, but the first gpu that will get bottlenecked by that is a gtx 780

I would recommend you getting an AMD Athlon 760K with an ASUS A88XM-A/ASUS A88XM-PLUS, the plus has 2 x16 lanes and a VRM heatsink

keep in mind that the first x16 lane will run as Pcie 2.0 because its a richland cpu, but the first gpu that will get bottlenecked by that is a gtx 780

I woulden't go in crossfire becouse the one of the x16 is a 4x mode and i woulden't get the performance i payed for and i kinda want the FX-6300 or another FX for the option to improve in the future or is that not needed?

I woulden't go in crossfire becouse the one of the x16 is a 4x mode and i woulden't get the performance i payed for and i kinda want the FX-6300 or another FX for the option to improve in the future or is that not needed?

but the am3(+) mobos are useless and the cpu costs 72€ and the mobo 60€, which isnt that much,

but the am3(+) mobos are useless and the cpu costs 72€ and the mobo 60€, which isnt that much,

How are they useless and it's going in a budget gaming build. I'm struggling with the mATX becouse i wan't the Prodigy M Case or else i could just go with an ATX board in another case if it's going to be too hot for the VRM's.

How are they useless and it's going in a budget gaming build. I'm struggling with the mATX becouse i wan't the Prodigy M Case or else i could just go with an ATX board in another case if it's going to be too hot for the VRM's.

then get the cpu and mobo that I recommended

stubborn.....

If you want the prodigy m then either go with the 760k or g3258. The latter being the better option, especially since it can be upgraded to a 4690k/4790k/5670k/5770k. If you really want an fx6300 then you have to go atx as all the matx boards for it are garbage.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

then get the cpu and mobo that I recommended

But then i can't upgrade cpu later on  ^_^

I wouldnt call a Mini ATX boards trash. Yes, they are limited to what you can do, but mine has been doing really good for a few months now. I know they also lack VRM coolers but if that person is planning on overclocking, then they made a big mistake getting that board. 

But then i can't upgrade cpu later on  ^_^

who cares about the 60€ realy, but I found an am3+ mobo with heatsink: Gigabyte GA-78LMT, the only thing is that the S-ATA connections are all 3Gb, but you wont notice the difference with a ssd, since its all about 4k random

I wouldnt call a Mini ATX boards trash. Yes, they are limited to what you can do, but mine has been doing really good for a few months now. I know they also lack VRM coolers but if that person is planning on overclocking, then they made a big mistake getting that board.
and getting an fx chip without overclockong it is also a big mistake.
who cares about the 60€ realy, but I found an am3+ mobo with heatsink: Gigabyte GA-78LMT, the only thing is that the S-ATA connections are all 3Gb, but you wont notice the difference with a ssd, since its all about 4k random
You can definitely notice a difference between Sata 2 and Sata 3 with an ssd.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I dont agree. You are entitled to your opinion and I am to mine. I dont need to over clock to enjoy the games I play. 

Well the FX cpus is already clocked high i were maybe planning on doing a bit but that may result in a aftermarket heatsink for the CPU and is it realy that bad to overclock on micro atx boards even with a heatsink.

and @Needalight you are meaning Micro ATX not Mini right ?

most workloads are random transferrates, only while copying files you will notice a difference

Well the FX cpus is already clocked high i were maybe planning on doing a bit but that may result in a aftermarket heatsink for the CPU and is it realy that bad to overclock on micro atx boards even with a heatsink.

and @Needalight you are meaning Micro ATX not Mini right ?

Micro, sorry :) 

Micro, sorry :)

Haha np :P but it's great to see that you have the FX and micro atx. How is it going no real problems on heat ? or power? 

EDIT:

@Needalight , @Wiff I was planning on doing this ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX with a HDD 2TB and maybe a SSD later on for OS and stuff.