New built PC won't boot up!

Go to solution Solved by c3p0,

This should work with your board. As they pretty much use all the same bios. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIdj0i7AxCI

Writing it down as I has nothing else to do.

Download

http://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-1.4.9.exe

http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/7851v17.zip

Run the tool and select

• Quick format
  • Create bootable disk useing msdos 
  • Create extended label

After formating unzip the content from the zip to the usb drive. There is a folder in the zip. So make sure to copy the 3 files within the folder 

• 7851v1x
  • AFUDE238
  • E7851IMS.170

Are the 3 files to copy

Boot into the usb selecting legacy boot not efi boot

Type afude238 e7581ims.170

If it won't start try type the names in capitals

Hit enter and wait for complete. Don't pull the power or reset. This will brick your board!

The situation: I have built an PC for a friend of mine. As I got no video signal out of the i5 4460 Tray, I thought it was damaged and let it replace with a boxed one. Nothing changed! I don't even get any Video signal at all (not even from the motherboard itself!)...

The Motherboard, PSU, Watercooler and Case were used from me for about two months and runned flawless. I checked if any pins in the socket were damaged, which was not the case...

The build:

• MSI GTX770 Twin Frozr 2GB
  • Corsair Vengance RAM 1x 8GB CL9
  • Be.Quiet 730W Bronze PSU
  • Corsair H90 2nd Edition Watercooler (CPU)
  • i5 4460 @3,2GHz
  • Bitfenix Prodigy m-ITX Case
  • MSI Z87i Motherboard (http://tinyurl.com/kbbxhsj)

The Problem:

I start the system. No video signal detected (both on GPU and Motherboard output) but the fans and the pump are running. I tried it without the GPU, with another RAM (2x 2GB), new CPU(boxed instead of tray) nothing changed the state of the PC.

I have to deliver next week so I really need this PC up and running soon - please help me :(

Of course, it is completly normal to have a GPU at 90°c all the time <_< 

Java, Sysadmin, Network Engineer, Project Management

Love you all - thanks for helping me! ^_^

Here are some pictures:

post-53212-0-27720300-1406198828_thumb.j

post-53212-0-21620000-1406198862_thumb.j

post-53212-0-04101400-1406198898_thumb.j

So it definitely turns on yeah?

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

So it definitely turns on yeah?

Yeah definetly. The lights of the fans are on and the pump is working. The GPU is working too.

Have u tried using a different cable to the monitor?

Yeah definetly. The lights of the fans are on and the pump is working. The GPU is working too.

Could it be your cpu is doa? 

Maybe the computer gods wanted to punish you for using a z87 motherboard with a locked cpu.

I know it won't solve your problem, but if you could just quickly reseat that USB 3.0 connector? Thanks.

INTEL i5 4670 (non-K) | MSI H81I | XFX Black Edition R9 280 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB

Seasonic M12II EVO 620W | SEAGATE Barracuda 2TB

CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport 8GB | CM Elite 130

Have u tried using a different cable to the monitor?

Yes. VGA to DVI and DVI-I to DVI-I.

Could it be your cpu is doa? 

Sorry what is doa?

doa = dead on arrival

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Maybe the computer gods wanted to punish you for using a z87 motherboard with a locked cpu.

I know it won't solve your problem, but if you could just quickly reseat that USB 3.0 connector? Thanks.

As I said, it is a combination of my month old good stuff and some new budged stuff (CPU) ;)

The USB3 cable is connected to the side panel which I took of for the photos so yeah, its easy to shift the connector out of his place :P

doa = dead on arrival

It is the second one. I doubt that this is even possible :unsure:

Turn it on and then hit the clear cmos on the blackplate.

Press auto input on the monitor or set it manual to dvi

Have you put that 4pin connector for cpu in? It's next to the chipset. Sound dumb but it's an spot where you could have missed it in assemble.

Ze7Td5y.png

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

Have you put that 4pin connector for cpu in? It's next to the chipset. Sound dumb but it's an spot where you could have missed it in assemble.

This pretty much or make sure that the monitor isn't defective.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

<picture>

Yes, the 4-Pin is plugged in...

I pressed the clear CMOS button, it rebooted and nothing changed :(

I switched to the video input of the PC, no video signal...

This pretty much or make sure that the monitor isn't defective.

I work with both its inputs right now. I used the same cables as I use now...

Could the standoff screws short out the motherboard? (pictures following)

post-53212-0-54970700-1406203478_thumb.j

I work with both its inputs right now.

So you don't mean you use 2 inputs at the same time in one monitor? That would cause it to not decide the right source on some monitors even when nothing is connected to the second cable. If the standoffs are an issue (but doubt that) you can use small rubberings or paperclips which you can get at baumaxx. (Not allowed to talk german :/)

Screw it off and slightly lift it from the standoffs. There could be an shortcut from the backplate or something else on the back.

Edit Edit: Mindreading. Lolwhut?

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

So you don't mean you use 2 inputs at the same time in one monitor? That would cause it to not decide the right source on some monitors even when nothing is connected to the second cable. If the standoffs are an issue (but doubt that) you can use small rubberings or paperclips which you can get at baumaxx. (Not allowed to talk german :/)

First off, I tried the following cases now:

• BenQ GL2450 @DVI (and VGA too) ... no video signal
  • BenQ GL2450 @DVI (no VGA) ... no video signal
  • BenQ GL2450 @VGA (with converter/adapter from DVI) ... no video signal
  • BenQ GL2450 @DVI from GPU (and VGA too) ... no video signal
  • Our home TV @HDMI from Motherboard ... no video signal

The last thing I could think off is that the backplate for the H90 touches the case plate and shorts out the CPU... (any opinions on that?)

Ok I think I got your issue. i5 4460 is an haswell refresh cpu from 5th generation where its possible your bios isn't up to date to support that cpu. Because Z87 where build for 4th generation haswell and don't support that of the bat. According to you mentioned you bought the board a while back your bios could be older.

You might scroll down here and get the bios file http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/Z87I.html However this requieres to get an 4th gen haswell to flash the bios. Would make sense because it wouldn't find that onboard chip as it's build in the cpu. 

Ok I think I got your issue. i5 4460 is an haswell refresh cpu from 5th generation where its possible your bios isn't up to date to support that cpu. Because Z87 where build for 4th generation haswell and don't support that of the bat. According to you mentioned you bought the board a while back your bios could be older.

You might scroll down here and get the bios file http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/Z87I.html However this requieres to get an 4th gen haswell to flash the bios. Would make sense because it wouldn't find that onboard chip as it's build in the cpu. 

I totally forgot about his lol, he is right. Z87 mobo's do support Haswell-R but they require an update so I hope you're comfortable flashing your bios. Otherwise if you bought the CPU in an internet store within the past 7 days you should be allowed to return it and get a full refund so you can buy Haswell as opposed to Haswell-R if you don't want to update your bios

^ Ehem can I pls be called a she? Ppl its not that hard xD

However here is the lates bios

http://de.msi.com/support/mb/Z87I.html#down-bios

good skills on spotting the mistake ;)

but there is one problem

unlike the Asus which can update the BIOS without the CPU

MSI still needs a Haswell CPU and RAM to boot to BIOS to update the CPU

and certain boards still need further updating in Windows to fully apply the update

otherwise the Haswell CPU will still not work on the Z87 board

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

good skills on spotting the mistake ;)

but there is one problem

unlike the Asus which can update the BIOS without the CPU

MSI still needs a Haswell CPU and RAM to boot to BIOS to update the CPU

and certain boards still need further updating in Windows to fully apply the update

otherwise the Haswell CPU will still not work on the Z87 board

That's why I said 

However this requieres to get an 4th gen haswell to flash the bios.

Checked on it. 

AMI BIOS Version 1.6 Supported Haswell-Refresh CPU.

Should mean it's build into the firmware and don't requiere additional driverupdates.

I have a i5 4670k in my main PC, it's Haswell (non Refresh). But I would need a really detailed instruction on how to do this..