Help I dropped my external HDD

Hey Everyone

I dropped a external western digital on the floor with about 2 tb of stuff on it that I would like to save. If the device is plugged in via the usb port the then my laptop stops responding in the "this pc" menu.  Clicking on it in the "this pc" menu normally crashes pathfinder and the one time I got acces to my data was a pain. I managed to move about 5 gb in about 12 hours and saved the most important stuff, but at speeds of a few kb/sec. The external hdd does not show up in diskpart, but as said before only in the "this pc" menu. I have taken it apart and put directly in my desktop through the sata and the story is the same (even with a sata connection I cannot find it in diskpart). however most of the time it doesn't show up at all when i boot up my desktop except in the boot menu in my motherboard. The device always powers up and I even get the audio prompt telling me I have connected it when useing the usb connection, but in most cases it never appears in "this pc menu" only after a couple of re - boots.

The HDD is a WD 20EARS and I am runng win 8 64 bit

sry for the poor technical descriptions and the poor english.... I am danish so it is my third language

I could really use a hand with this so pls tell my if you need more info

Drive savers is in California 
http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

most of the time its GG HDD you can try and recover data by yourself with a linux disc, if that fails you can try to rebuild it with some recovery software but like you said its very slow the the probable cause is either the header got damaged or one of the plates got a scratch from the drop. 

you can use it as a doorstop now sorry but this is the hard true, dropping HDD = death point plank  

soz buddy GL recovery the data 

My Rig: Intel 3770k with Corsair H100i pull, Asus Z98 pro , Corsair Vengeance 8GBx2 2100 mhz CL9, Galax HOF 1080 TI, 4 x OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig Raid 0, Corsair AX 850, Corsair Obsidian 650D

I have tried plugging it in my desktop with both sata and another time useing the usb/converter that one normally uses for external hdd. However nothing seems connect the way it should. I would like to save what I can, but I am not going to send it to california/England to save it so thx for the idea TDP_Equinox, but I am not spending that kind of money on a 2,5 year old 100 dollar external drive :)

I have tried plugging it in my desktop with both sata and another time useing the usb/converter that one normally uses for external hdd. However nothing seems connect the way it should. I would like to save what I can, but I am not going to send it to california/England to save it so thx for the idea TDP_Equinox, but I am not spending that kind of money on a 2,5 year old 100 dollar external drive :)

Not sure where you live, but im sure you can find a closer department that does data recovery.

Here in BC i know of one, the name of i can't remember, but they are in vancouver.

There are plenty of different places if the data means that much to you.

What they do is take the platters out and recover the data with a rig full of arms. They have to do it in a sterile enviroment, and then they throw what they got on a new drive and send you that. they can be pricey, but if the data is important it might be an option.

Good luck :D

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!