ASUS Z97-A....R? The SILVER ASUS Motherboard!

Well this: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97AR/ is a thing. 

So apparently a silver version (which looks a lot sexier than those "eh" goldish boards ASUS currently has) of the Z97-A exists. 

What's the differences you may ask? Well you'd think because there's an "R" at the end of it or whatever that it'd be better possibly right? Nope. Actually the only and main differences between this and the regular A is that the AR doesn't have a VGA and DVI port on the board and again...it's an awesome silver color. 

Sadly however, I keep seeing this board for like 149.99 USD which...is more expensive than the (typically priced at 137.99-144.99) Z97-A. When in fact, because it's missing those ports should be cheaper. 

...But it's silver and stupidly tempting, and the Z97-A is really popular right now...so I think I'd still buy it. Lol

THAT IS BEAUTIFUL  :wub:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

I think it's more or less the same board / pcb / whatever with different heatsinks :P

It is the same board...just has silver instead of gold heatsinks and the BIOS is silver and not gold. Plus the VGA and DVI ports are gone.

THAT IS BEAUTIFUL :wub:

IT'S NOT GOLD!

IT'S NOT GOLD! 

PRAISE BE TO GABEN

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

That is a sexy piece of hardware.  

I forsee many, many builds around this board.

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

Wow pretty

somebody do a chrome and aluminium build!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

That is a sexy piece of hardware.

I forsee many, many builds around this board.

Too bad no one really knows about it.

Wow pretty

somebody do a chrome and aluminium build!

That sounds BA lol

Too bad no one really knows about it.

I'm betting it will be mentioned in the WAN show.  I seem to remember Linus sending all the viewers to vote for this.  That should spread the word reasonably well.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

I'm betting it will be mentioned in the WAN show.  I seem to remember Linus sending all the viewers to vote for this.  That should spread the word reasonably well.  

Do you know where the vote was or something? 

Do you know where the vote was or something? 

I think it was a twitter retweet thing.  I don't remember the exact details.  All I remember is that Linus asked the whole stream to retweet or favourite something from ASUS asking if people would like to see a silver motherboard.  It was a few weeks ago.  

If only it had the sound delivery system of the MSI Gaming line :(

Just four capacitors for signal cleaning is nowhere near enough with current cap technology (can't wait for all-graphene caps on MOBOs, unbelievable 0.00000023% distortion on a studio sound board).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

If only it had the sound delivery system of the MSI Gaming line :(

Just four capacitors for signal cleaning is nowhere near enough with current cap technology (can't wait for all-graphene caps on MOBOs, unbelievable 0.00000023% distortion on a studio sound board).

It has their own Crystal Sound Tech, if you don't like it, buy a dedicated sound card if you're so serious about audio. 

Now, that is so much better than gold.

Who in right, right mind would say " Guys, we need to scrape the blue and go with gold"  I mean really? Most build are either blue or red. 

Who makes gold components, apart from Asus, where they just give you stickers to replace the red. 

EDIT: Oh, and memory. 

At least silver looks a bit better. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

It has their own Crystal Sound Tech, if you don't like it, buy a dedicated sound card if you're so serious about audio. 

Speaking from experience, sound cards seem to be the number one cause of system instability apart from a bad OS install. Just found out a sound card was the reason for a P9X79-E WS Board not supporting shutdown and sleep.

It's also far from the first time my family's seen sound cards causing problems.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

How is it?

Works just fine. Only difference I think is the lack of DVI ports. And it's Silver. I didn't even know this board was "special" when I got it at microcenter. I think it'll work like any Z97 board.