NVIDIA Shield Tablet any good?

cluelessgenius

so i was thinking about getting it since im lokking for a tablet anyway and this thing looks great so far.

but im a littler worried about the gamestream feature. as i read it only support wlan 802.11 up to N and i was expecting AC so do you think N will be enough to stream comfortably ?

also what do think about the 8" display and the shield tablet in general?

feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts on it. every input is appreciated.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

so i was thinking about getting it since im lokking for a tablet anyway and this thing looks great so far.

but im a littler worried about the gamestream feature. as i read it only support wlan 802.11 up to N and i was expecting AC so do you think N will be enough to stream comfortably ?

also what do think about the 8" display and the shield tablet in general?

feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts on it. every input is appreciated.

N streaming is perfectly fine! look at the current sheild!!

8" is small but its miles better than the 5" of my shield hand held although you might have to sit further away

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

N streaming is perfectly fine! look at the current sheild!!

8" is small but its miles better than the 5" of my shield hand held although you might have to sit further away

thanks for the reasurance i think ill trust your opinion on the network standard and screen wise i dont think i would play too much with a gamepad anyway. i thought about usng it for a good old match of command and conquer or something along those lines and for that it seems perfect since ill be holding it much closer than i would with a gamepad

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

also i kinda just wanna have that k1. after all i dont trust intel with tablet cpus and of all the others this one seems to be the most developed one right now so im excited

thanks for the reasurance i think ill trust your opinion on the network standard and screen wise i dont think i would play too much with a gamepad anyway. i thought about usng it for a good old match of command and conquer or something along those lines and for that it seems perfect since ill be holding it much closer than i would with a gamepad

Personally I would use it as a tablet with a few android games and emulators, and only really play PC games when it is used in console mode

why dont you trust intel? some of the bay trail devices are fantastic for the money

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Personally I would use it as a tablet with a few android games and emulators, and only really play PC games when it is used in console mode

why dont you trust intel? some of the bay trail devices are fantastic for the money

well actually i cant call out a single point why i dont trust intel with mobile cpu i guess i just had a bad expirience in the past that now overshadows all intel mobile products. k1 was designed to work in mobiles and nvidia only has chips for mobile like the tegras for example so i guess they know what theyre doing. also the hole gaming centered concept really appeals to me.

well actually i cant call out a single point why i dont trust intel with mobile cpu i guess i just had a bad expirience in the past that now overshadows all intel mobile products. k1 was designed to work in mobiles and nvidia only has chips for mobile like the tegras for example so i guess they know what theyre doing. also the hole gaming centered concept really appeals to me.

Yeah its super powerful for gaming, even my shield handheld with tegra 4 does an amazing job of games and emulation. playing PS1, dreamcats, psp, n64 etc games all work flawlessly

I cant wait to get mine in a couple of months

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Yeah its super powerful for gaming, even my shield handheld with tegra 4 does an amazing job of games and emulation. playing PS1, dreamcats, psp, n64 etc games all work flawlessly

jow do you think the battery life will be gaming / not gaming (webbrowsing)? ho does your shield do in that regard?

jow do you think the battery life will be gaming / not gaming (webbrowsing)? ho does your shield do in that regard?

Amazing! one of the best battery lifes ever!!! even playing half life 2 and portal

Amazing! one of the best battery lifes ever!!! even playing half life 2 and portal

great thanks. i also havnt thought about protal yet but sure sound amazing what other titles did you play personaly / can you recommend?

great thanks. i also havnt thought about protal yet but sure sound amazing what other titles did you play personaly / can you recommend?

There are tons I mostly play emulators as android games a bit lacking compared to my iPad

here are the current android games installed

Mount and Blade

HL2 and Portal are amazing

The Bards Tale

Dead Trigger 1+2

Dead Space

Blitz Brigade (basically tf2 clone)

Modern Combat 1-5 (cod clone)

NOVA 1-3 (crysis / halo clone)

Brothers In arms

Asphault 8

Dead Effect (awesome free fully voice acted fps)

Duke Nukem 3d

Doom

Max Payne

Minecraft

Shadowgun

The Conduit (was a Wii fps)

Then I have an atari 2600 emulator, PS1, PSP, Dreamcast, SNES, MAME, N64, emulators installed too

There are tons I mostly play emulators as android games a bit lacking compared to my iPad

here are the current android games installed

Mount and Blade

HL2 and Portal are amazing

The Bards Tale

Dead Trigger 1+2

Dead Space

Blitz Brigade (basically tf2 clone)

Modern Combat 1-5 (cod clone)

NOVA 1-3 (crysis / halo clone)

Brothers In arms

Asphault 8

Dead Effect (awesome free fully voice acted fps)

Duke Nukem 3d

Doom

Max Payne

Minecraft

Shadowgun

The Conduit (was a Wii fps)

Then I have an atari 2600 emulator, PS1, PSP, Dreamcast, SNES, MAME, N64, emulators installed too

awesome. sry im asking so many question as im using you to get some kind of user expirience but how is the storage situation holding as i get it the tablet only comes with a max of 32gb storage and i dont know about the shield but is it enough ? also how is the display holding up outdoors ? could i play in the garden or on the balcony? as i read the display is gloss so im a little worried.

awesome. sry im asking so many question as im using you to get some kind of user expirience but how is the storage situation holding as i get it the tablet only comes with a max of 32gb storage and i dont know about the shield but is it enough ? also how is the display holding up outdoors ? could i play in the garden or on the balcony? as i read the display is gloss so im a little worried.

I thought it had micro sd?

I have a 64gb micro sd card installed and all my games install onto it, + the onboard storage for certian apps and games

The display on the shield is glossy as balls just like any tablet or smartphone

I thought it had micro sd?

I have a 64gb micro sd card installed and all my games install onto it, + the onboard storage for certian apps and games

The display on the shield is glossy as balls just like any tablet or smartphone

oh yeah it has micro sd didnt see that one.