Semi-random freezes and BSODs

Proximity

So my current PC, which is the first one i've built, has been freezing and blue screening for months and i have no idea what is causing it. I've been dealing with it for months and usually a system restore would make the freezes stop for a few weeks, but that's no longer helping for some reason. I do have a way to replicate it now, because i've found out that the freezes always happen when i'm downloading or installing something. But it's not consistent in that, sometimes i can install a 10GB game without any issues and then downloading a new driver for my GPU will freeze the pc. This means that it's definitely not an unusable machine, but it is very frustrating to have the freezes happen without having any idea what to do about it. The blue screens are more random. They tend to happen when i close a game for example, it's usually not when i'm actually busy doing something, which i guess is a bit of a bright side to it. But those don't happen all that often and my priority is fixing the freezes. And to further explain what happens, when it freezes everything just stops responding. It'll keep displaying the last image it displayed before the freeze and the sound will sort of glitch out. I'd really really appreciate it if anybody has any information that could go toward stopping the freezes. If i had to guess i'd say it's the HDD that's causing this but i wouldn't know how to check that, and i can't just spend €60 on a new one if it might not even be the cause.

Specs:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4

i5-3570k

MSI Twin Frozr GTX 670

Corsair GS700 PSU

Hitachi 1TB Deskstar 7K1000.C

8GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800 RAM

Do a Memtest

run just one stick of RAM and see if the BSOD comes back

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

The first stick of ram I tried it froze like usual, but with the second one it didn't freeze at first, so I thought I had it, but then later it still froze

The first stick of ram I tried it froze like usual, but with the second one it didn't freeze at first, so I thought I had it, but then later it still froze

see if you can borrow a stick of RAM from your buddy's PC

and try again

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.