4790k temps and water cooling

I am confused I thought the 4790k was going to be better then the 4770k temp wise. I am on stock cooler since I just got it today. What cooler would be the best to go with an h100 or h55 or anything like that? My question is why does it run so hot and what can I do to make it better?

I am running WoW right now and I am getting 45C-65C a huge spike is that normal?

I am running WoW right now and I am getting 45C-65C a huge spike is that normal?

If on stock cooler, depending on your ambient temps and the configuration of your case fans (positive vs. negative pressure, amount of said pressure, total CFM, etc), this may be about right. On water cooling that should drop to mid 30's to mid 40's across the board unless you're capturing at the same time and running several google chrome tabs  (this is a killer actually, as it automatically overclocks your CPU) in the background.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

If on stock cooler, depending on your ambient temps and the configuration of your case fans (positive vs. negative pressure, amount of said pressure, total CFM, etc), this may be about right. On water cooling that should drop to mid 30's to mid 40's across the board unless you're capturing at the same time and running several google chrome tabs  (this is a killer actually, as it automatically overclocks your CPU) in the background.

So the temps are not bad at all? With a H55 or H80 I could bring the temps down about 8-10C?

So the temps are not bad at all? With a H55 or H80 I could bring the temps down about 8-10C?

8C?! What is the ambient temperature of the computer room? You can't do better than that.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I think he meant bring it down 8 degrees, not to 8 degrees...

omg I am getting too tired for this. My bad.

Yes, Intel's stock cooler, better though it is on the 4790k, still sucks and has bad TIM. Use something good like Arctic Silver 5 or MX-4 or Promilatech. Hell soon you'll get a TIM flame war.

As per your cooler, I always build custom, but I think the H100i is very good and popular, not sure if it works with socket 1150 or not.

I am confused I thought the 4790k was going to be better then the 4770k temp wise. I am on stock cooler since I just got it today. What cooler would be the best to go with an h100 or h55 or anything like that? My question is why does it run so hot and what can I do to make it better?

Cooler Master Seidon 240M for $51-$60.  Unbeatable.  Pick this up now before the deal expires.  If you want to go as far as buying a TIM to replace the stock Cooler Master one, the Gelid GC-Extreme can be had for ~$11 shipped on eBay.  Another option would be the Promilatech PK-3.  You can see here in this Thermal Paste Roundup.  Stay away from the Coolaboratory stuff unless you are a seasoned pro.  Honestly though, the stock Cooler Master paste is plenty good, I am using it right now with my 240M, and I have the Gelid Extreme sitting in front of me, waiting to be tried out--I'm not expecting more than 3C difference, if that is worth $11 to you, then by all means, pick up some aftermarket stuff.  The real steal is the 240M for only $60 though.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I'm running a Corsair H110 on my 4790k, currently its in Pull with Noctua 140mm fans, gaming I top out at 55c, I have seen 60c but I was running a OpenCL game using the CPU, and that's with a eVGA GTX780ti Classified in my case.

Just using the in built PWM Turbo settings in BIOS to control the fans.

Running stress testing apps brings the temps up for sure, but normal use its hangs around 65c when video encoding.

It does depend on your case airflow and ambient temps as well.

The ultimate watercooling is a custom loop, but its a lot of maintenance work, hence why I went for the AIO.

omg I am getting too tired for this. My bad.

Yes, Intel's stock cooler, better though it is on the 4790k, still sucks and has bad TIM. Use something good like Arctic Silver 5 or MX-4 or Promilatech. Hell soon you'll get a TIM flame war.

As per your cooler, I always build custom, but I think the H100i is very good and popular, not sure if it works with socket 1150 or not.

I know this is an exhausting topic of conversation I am just wanting to get the best cooler I can with out going custom.

The H100i is compatible with Haswell (and Devil's Canyon).  So is the H100 (old version), I have one on my Devil's canyon setup.  

I know this is an exhausting topic of conversation I am just wanting to get the best cooler I can with out going custom.

Pick up a good all-in-one solution.  As has been said above, the Corsair H100i is a great and popular option (I can vouch for it as I use it in several systems).  I imagine that Faceman's suggestion would also work, and that is a killer price for a 240mm AIO.  

The AIO will drop your temperatures as far as they will go without custom water cooling (which will only drop it a few degrees farther).  Even with overclocking, you should be well below the maximum of the CPU (100C).  If your temps start consistently sitting at 80+ C, then you should start worrying.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

My suggestion would be the h105. I've got my 4790k at 4.4ghz right now and at idle I'm at around 26°c as an average on the cores. Load dosent break 55°c.