Completely custom case: need help with measurements

carolkarine

Hey there guys! My plan is to completely model a case in Autodesk Inventor, then to export it to a 3d model I can send to www.shapeways.com and have 3d-printed. I'll then assemble the parts.

on that note, I have a question: I'm not sure if the PCI-e brackets are long enough, and I can't help but wonder if the 140mm fan mount is too low on the back of the case (worried it might touch the card once there's a fan installed)

here are links to the inventor and autocad files (filetype isn't supported on LTT) 

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0K9lidnw4fpTVcxVzE2dndOa0E&usp=sharing

here are the measurements:

the PCI-e slot is 12mm wide, 98.8mm tall, and space 8mm apart. (there are three of them just in case I ever feel like putting in a 3 slot GPU)

I feel like it's a bit short, but I got these numbers from another guy who claims to have gotten them straight from the PCI-e documentation... which I couldn't find (I found plenty about the electrical bits though)

the 140mm fan cutout (which is a circle with diameter 140mm) is 4.445mm away from the PCI-e bracket, which I think is enough space? I've checked fans i have lying around and they are no larger than 140mm.

the attached picture is what I've got right now.

I've got some work to do when it comes to screw hole threading and PCI-e bracket connections (as you can see the bent bit on top wouldn't fit as it is now even if the slot is the correct length.)

also, It's quite possible I'll have to start over from scratch because this currently isn't connect to any other case bits. meaning the mobo tray isn't ready to be integrated with any other parts (this is a very early modeling stage. just making sure I have the basics for part installation so I can move on to actual design)

post-9943-0-50183300-1406177770_thumb.pn

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I don't know the exact measurements. But I do know that the I/O panel is a bit more complex than that. Unless you are going to have multiple versions.

Also, will you be doing a grill for the rear fan? Because you can do a sliding mesh thing by extruding little rails and guides for something cool. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I don't know the exact measurements. But I do know that the I/O panel is a bit more complex than that. Unless you are going to have multiple versions.

Also, will you be doing a grill for the rear fan? Because you can do a sliding mesh thing by extruding little rails and guides for something cool. 

I'm fairly sure that the only bit about my design that's off is the PCI brackets. I've followed the ATX guidelines for everything else (and if I have to I'll make a custom backplate for the mobo)

But I do know that the I/O panel is a bit more complex than that. Unless you are going to have multiple versions.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. could you please explain?

the rear fan is exhaust only. so a grill would be a pointless impediment for the airflow. everything else will be intake, and will be covered by a dust filter, though.

the actual exterior of the case is still coming together in my mind. I'm building from the inside - out because that way I know I'll have the correct amount of space. 

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

You're going to need either a slot in the back of the PCI lane or accommodate for a 90˚ bend for graphics cards.

So you're 3D printing this? Wouldn't it make more sense to get it lazer/watercut since they're all just flat pieces?  Looks interesting! 

Rig: Lian Li PC-V353 i5 2500K, GA-Z68MA-D2H, EVGA GTX 650, CM Gemiin S524, Corsair TX650M, Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate 1TB Barracuda, Fiio E10

You're going to need either a slot in the back of the PCI lane or accommodate for a 90˚ bend for graphics cards.

So you're 3D printing this? Wouldn't it make more sense to get it lazer/watercut since they're all just flat pieces?  Looks interesting! 

I know about the PCIe slots. this is just me getting the spacing out for the holes, I'll focus on the rest next.

I'm 3d printing it with shapeways because it's going to get much more complicated, and some parts aren't going to be easy when lazer cutting unless I want to get charged through the nose for wasted material.

plus with shapeways I can get more exotic materials.

like raw silver. or steel. or gold.

I'm thinking about doing inlays in gold. It would be much easier to have a piece of gold that I just drop into place ontop of some glue, rather than finding a goldsmith somewhere round here. plus, shapeways can do everything I need.

Okay guys, you got any ideas on how to do completely and totally screw-less? not tool-less, screwless. I want to be able to take it apart with my hands and not even deal with thumbscrews.

I have an idea for the PCI-e bracket. but I don't know about the mobo mounting :(

EDIT: PCI-e bracket updates! This is how I'm going to do it screwlessly.

There are now pegs in the PCI-e cutout for the expansion cards. The card will be slotted onto these. they should be close enough to the top of the cutout that flipping the computer over will NOT result on a loose GPU in the system. I may need to edit just how much space between the top and the pegs there is.

as for the motherboard, I kinda want to do the same thing, with pegs. however, the motherboard doesn't have a bracket like a GPU, and I'm not sure how effective that would be.

post-9943-0-32897500-1406265265_thumb.pn

post-9943-0-02536000-1406265275_thumb.pn

Daily Driver:

Just curious but are you familiar with Shapeways pricing, larger parts like what you have there can get expensive very quickly (especially gold/silver) minimising print layers helps with price a lot too but generally speaking going for laser/water-jet cutting will be substantially cheaper and if its just acrylic/aluminium/stainless/etc. for the base (mobo tray, etc.) the cost of waste material is negligible. If it were me I would be trying to design as much as possible from sheet metal and using 3D printed parts etc. as attachments where you need the complexity. I have no idea of your budget or experience so just putting it out there as an FYI :)

Also for the motherboard you might want to do some sort of clip, something like: http://nz.element14.com/ettinger/06-53-086/spacer-8-m3-1-8-pa/dp/1466945 or similar, if you do go the 3D printed route you could make them part of the mobo tray. The Intel heatsink clips/tool-less HDD mounts are another nice design with the hollow core clips/rubber grommets and a push in pin to lock them firmly in place.

Just curious but are you familiar with Shapeways pricing, larger parts like what you have there can get expensive very quickly (especially gold/silver) minimising print layers helps with price a lot too but generally speaking going for laser/water-jet cutting will be substantially cheaper and if its just acrylic/aluminium/stainless/etc. for the base (mobo tray, etc.) the cost of waste material is negligible. If it were me I would be trying to design as much as possible from sheet metal and using 3D printed parts etc. as attachments where you need the complexity. I have no idea of your budget or experience so just putting it out there as an FYI :)

Also for the motherboard you might want to do some sort of clip, something like: http://nz.element14.com/ettinger/06-53-086/spacer-8-m3-1-8-pa/dp/1466945 or similar, if you do go the 3D printed route you could make them part of the mobo tray. The Intel heatsink clips/tool-less HDD mounts are another nice design with the hollow core clips/rubber grommets and a push in pin to lock them firmly in place.

Thanks! Yeah, I wasnt really aware of how expensive even steel could get at shapeways. I'll look for other options.

Daily Driver:

Thanks! Yeah, I wasnt really aware of how expensive even steel could get at shapeways. I'll look for other options.

I'm pretty sure you would be close to a thousand dollars even printing it in plastic. Water jetting aluminum is the way to go, still a lot more expensive than just buying a nice high end case, but you get it the way you want.

Just be aware that you likely aren't going to be doing a nice custom case for under $300 after figuring bending, cutting, finishing, and material costs.

I'm pretty sure you would be close to a thousand dollars even printing it in plastic. Water jetting aluminum is the way to go, still a lot more expensive than just buying a nice high end case, but you get it the way you want.

Just be aware that you likely aren't going to be doing a nice custom case for under $300 after figuring bending, cutting, finishing, and material costs.

I was expecting a cost upwards of 6-700 dollars. there are probably a few things I'll have to get printed - very specific parts. but most of it I could get done lasercut. the problem is that I plan on a curved front panel with lasercut designs, which I may need printed. the side panels would be slightly curved as well.

Daily Driver:

Ah ok. I just wanted to make sure you were aware building isn't cheaper than buying, but sounds like you're on top of it.  :)