When to crossfire/SLI

rax313

I remember hearing Linus say that almost every time you would want to buy a new card rather than crossfire/SLI. When would it make sense then to crossfire/SLI your current graphics card?

I am hoping that the answer is not when you buy a 7970 and just "double it"...

I think... if you have an older, but still somewhat decent card and you can maybe get something cheap to add into SLI/Xfire that might be the way to go (ebay, kijiji, sales at retailers). But, don't expect a huge improvement. If though you can afford that shiny new monster card, a newer generation card will typically perform better and be more efficient then trying to do a sli/xfire setup on an older generation...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I think... if you have an older' date=' but still somewhat decent card and you can maybe get something cheap to add into SLI/Xfire that might be the way to go (ebay, kijiji, sales at retailers). But, don't expect a huge improvement. If though you can afford that shiny new monster card, a newer generation card will typically perform better and be more efficient then trying to do a sli/xfire setup on an older generation...[/quote']

So is my 5570(http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R5570-MD1G.html) still a decent card?

i guess the only time crossfire/SLI makes sense is when you are actually buying a brand-new card? Interesting I used to think it was a possible upgrade path, single GPU->SLI->NEW GPU

Thanks.

I would upgrade if I were you. Newer generation GPU's have more cores and higher clocks. Even something like a 7770 would probably outperform crossfired 5570's.

"Wisdom III" AMD FX 8120 @ 4.1Ghz // Biostar TA990FXE // 16GB GeIL Black Dragon (8x2) // Saphire HD 7870 OC Edition // CORSAIR TX850M // Curcial M4 64GB (boot) // Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5TB (storage) // Cooler Master Hyper N 520 // Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Yep - I wouldn't bother trying to xfire that card. Save up some money and get a 7xxx series (or shortly an 8xxx). You will be really impressed with the improvement overall.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I would upgrade(or wait for the 8000 series). I believe the best time to SLI/Crossfire is to buy the second GPU about a year after the first, but that is if you can handle the added power draw. The 7000 series has been out for quite a while and waiting for the 8000 series and snagging a 8770/8870 would be more ideal than buying a second 5570.

yeah, looking at some of the new cards today. I'll probably either get a single 7xxx or 8xxx series. getting 2 of those is out of my budget. I guess I will have to wait again and see if I can run a system that has crossfire/SLI on it.

the 5570 wasn't a gaming level graphics card in it's own day,and as new graphics cards architecture has been released it's become more and more inferior.a second 5570 would be a waste.

I would think of it as the following

if you buy a high end gaming graphics card it should last you around 1-2 years,maybe longer depending on the graphics card.

take the GTX 480 or the 5870 for example,great graphics carda,can still max out most games.If you can find a second one for $120 or less go for it,if not sell your old one and buy a new graphics card as it will be cheaper to get the new one that performs on par with your SLI or crossfire than it will be to buy the second graphics card.

but if you have a graphics card thats terrible,always has been terrible,and it's aimed as a low cost discrete graphics card to allow you to add a display output and play games at low settings,then SLI or Crossfire won't help much.

it's like this,if you have a single buff person to lift something they can already lift quite alot,lets say 160 LBS,if you add a second one they will be able to lift a heavier weight than that even.

although if you have a scrawny person who can't lift 10 LBS and you get a second scrawny person,you'd be better off with a single buff person

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Many people SLI/CFX from the get go if they are on 120hz/3D monitors. Whether or not its worth it down the line involves comparing the price to performance and if the games you play or programs support it

It all depends on the trends and prices of current hardware. Back when the 460 was released, at that price point it was almost stupid not to SLI it, even when its brand new. A good idea when to SLI/CF is when you don't need a ram upgrade, you need more horsepower, and you can get a second card for cheap (used?).

I'd say the best time to SLI or Crossfire some cards is when you find a second card used and cheap.

Of course some people demand the perfect set up right from the start and have no issue spending a thousand just to get top of the line. It really depends on your situation.

If you are asking if you should buy a lower end card with the intention to crossfire/sli later then I suggest not doing that. which is where Linus is coming from don't buy something for cheap with plans of making it better later, buy what you need then and it will save you in the long run.

I'm personally running a crossfire 6950 set up and have been for a long time. Adding a second gpu can breathe life into an old set up but for a few dollars more you can sell your current card and buy a new current generation card.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I reckon the best time to crossfire/SLI is when you already have a high end card and it's still not enough.

the 5570 wasn't a gaming level graphics card in it's own day,

I never said it was. I was asking a question about when do people generally go the dual-GPU route.

....and as new graphics cards architecture has been released it's become more and more inferior.a second 5570 would be a waste. if you have a single buff person to lift something they can already lift quite alot,lets say 160 LBS,if you add a second one they will be able to lift a heavier weight than that even. although if you have a scrawny person who can't lift 10 LBS and you get a second scrawny person,you'd be better off with a single buff person

To use your analogy don't all new video cards start out as brawny and eventually become scrawny as time goes on? are you saying saying that while your current video card is still considered buffed it would make sense to add another?

I'd say the best time to SLI or Crossfire some cards is when you find a second card used and cheap. Of course some people demand the perfect set up right from the start and have no issue spending a thousand just to get top of the line. It really depends on your situation. If you are asking if you should buy a lower end card with the intention to crossfire/sli later then I suggest not doing that. which is where Linus is coming from don't buy something for cheap with plans of making it better later' date=' buy what you need then and it will save you in the long run. I'm personally running a crossfire 6950 set up and have been for a long time. Adding a second gpu can breathe life into an old set up but for a few dollars more you can sell your current card and buy a new current generation card. [/quote']

I am asking when in the upgrade cycle to people go for dual GPUs. But judging from the replies I think people often go this route as part of the new build already.

I reckon the best time to crossfire/SLI is when you already have a high end card and it's still not enough.
but don't all high end cards become low-end as technology improves?

Yep, i would usually buy the pair of card when building a new system.

I mean if you have a high end card from the current or previous generations. For example: 7970, 7950, 6970, 6950