Earbuds

Mouse-Potato

Hello all,

I just wanted your opinions on earbuds, like what brand do you have and have you tried or compared them to others? 

I'm asking because I've tried the entire Shure line (even the 846) and wasn't that impressed, as well as the B&O, Monster line and the Beats but strangely I prefer Skullcandy's 50/50's because I feel like they have a very good balance of low, medium and highs. I purchased the 50/50's to repace my older Skullcandy earbud's that I loved but that are dying on me.

I'm using a 7th gen ipod nano with the EQ turned, during testing though I used Basement Jaxx- Where's your head at; I cycled through multiple EQ settings and all the high end earbuds sounded like cr@p. The salesperson looked at my like I was crazy when I told him I wanted another set of Skullcandy's.

50_50-white_black-snake.jpg

Skullcandy=bad. Some headphones do need a break in to reach full sound quality. You need to have a proper seal in your ears. Also a factor would be how you're used to the sound quality of your Skullcandys, I had some Skullcandy Riots and I thought they were pretty good then I tried my dad's Logitech Ultimate Ears UE400's and they were meh but you have to listen to them for around an hour to see what they're really like.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Skullcandy=bad. Some headphones do need a break in to reach full sound quality. You need to have a proper seal in your ears. Also a factor would be how you're used to the sound quality of your Skullcandys, I had some Skullcandy Riots and I thought they were pretty good then I tried my dad's Logitech Ultimate Ears UE400's and they were meh but you have to listen to them for around an hour to see what they're really like.

I understand their is a break in period, I just felt that none of the High end ones had the bass of the 50/50's, i know they are no where near audiophile earbuds but when the salesperson that tries to sell you earbuds that cost $800 and only one side works on the demo modle then I kind of feel like they're fragile. The sound wasn't worth the moeny imo.

I understand their is a break in period, I just felt that none of the High end ones had the bass of the 50/50's, i know they are no where near audiophile earbuds but when the salesperson that tries to sell you earbuds that cost $800 and only one side works on the demo modle then I kind of feel like they're fragile. The sound wasn't worth the moeny imo.

As with PC parts, when you reach a certain cost, it isn't worth it. I'd only pay $300 max for headphones.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I wouldn't pay more than $200 for universal IEMs (might as well start saving for customs at that point), but those expensive ones should still sound better than Skullcandy's rebranded OEM junk. Maybe the demo models were bad, maybe they didn't have the sound signature you prefer, or maybe you are just crazy. Whatever the problem is, there's plenty of amazing IEMs under $100 now a days, so I never suggest getting an expensive universal.