Dual vs Ultrawide

jedylan

Having about 1000$ budget for monitors, that will be running on a 6gb gtx780, I am wondering if I am better off with one Ultrawide 34" screen (only the LG at 1100$ is out but AOC is making a 800-900$ one) or Dual 27" 1440p monitors http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-pb278q. I am doing Video Photo and Audio editing work as well as gaming. A plus with the dual monitors is I can buy one later so I can save more money. They also give a wider viewing space than one ultrawide but they have a bezel in the middle so no gaming on both monitors. By the way I am upgrading from one 21.5" monitor

Having about 1000$ budget for monitors, that will be running on a 6gb gtx780, I am wondering if I am better off with one Ultrawide 34" screen (only the LG at 1100$ is out but AOC is making a 800-900$ one) or Dual 27" 1440p monitors http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-pb278q. I am doing Video Photo and Audio editing work as well as gaming. A plus with the dual monitors is I can buy one later so I can save more money. They also give a wider viewing space than one ultrawide but they have a bezel in the middle so no gaming on both monitors. By the way I am upgrading from one 21.5" monitor

If gaming is a minor use, with editing being the primary, I'd opt for Dual Screens now, and then add a third later down the line for Surround Gaming.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Two separate monitors and add a third in the future.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If gaming is a minor use, with editing being the primary, I'd opt for Dual Screens now, and then add a third later down the line for Surround Gaming.

Two separate monitors and add a third in the future.

Except 3 1440p monitors are extremely hard to run...

I agree though, if you're mostly multitasking I'd probably go with two.

I was pondering this recently as well. I was going to go for the ultrawide because I use A LOT of tabs, and it's easier for that. Plus I'd still have the standard 2560x1440 when I wanted to game.

I think you can get the LG for $899 from...some shop. Can't recall the name, but it's a large US retailer.

The AOC will have a nicer stand, which with a lower price makes it a little more lustworthy imo.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Except 3 1440p monitors are extremely hard to run...

I agree though, if you're mostly multitasking I'd probably go with two.

I was pondering this recently as well. I was going to go for the ultrawide because I use A LOT of tabs, and it's easier for that. Plus I'd still have the standard 2560x1440 when I wanted to game.

I think you can get the LG for $899 from...some shop. Can't recall the name, but it's a large US retailer.

The AOC will have a nicer stand, which with a lower price makes it a little more lustworthy imo.

He will only be playing on one 1440p monitor and multitasking on the other. By the time he upgrades to 3 for surround gaming there will be more powerful graphics cards that can run it.

Using a single widescreen monitor is difficult because then you need to be playing the game in a resized window, and it will not be centered when you have to use the other half of the screen for multitasking. It is much better for productivity to have 2 physically separate screens. Also two 1440p monitors will have a lot more screen realestate, while being easier to run than a 21:9 single monitor.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

He will only be playing on one 1440p monitor and multitasking on the other. By the time he upgrades to 3 for surround gaming there will be more powerful graphics cards that can run it.

Using a single widescreen monitor is difficult because then you need to be playing the game in a resized window, and it will not be centered when you have to use the other half of the screen for multitasking. It is much better for productivity to have 2 physically separate screens. Also two 1440p monitors will have a lot more screen realestate, while being easier to run than a 21:9 single monitor.

Oh, I just figured he'd be gaming and multitasking at different times. Not sure how one would be playing a game and editing music at the same time. They'd both be awfully half assed.

The monitors are about the same to run. True, if you're playing at the wide screen format it's slightly more taxing. In a Windows environment it's the same.

From most of the reviews I've read most people who edit and such love the ultrawide because you can see more of the track on the same screen at the same time.

I don't edit, but I've seen that said several times.

I don't think we should assume how powerful the next series is, or how long it'll take him to upgrade.

I think we're at least 2-3 years away from such cards.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Oh, I just figured he'd be gaming and multitasking at different times. Not sure how one would be playing a game and editing music at the same time. They'd both be awfully half assed.

The monitors are about the same to run. True, if you're playing at the wide screen format it's slightly more taxing. In a Windows environment it's the same.

From most of the reviews I've read most people who edit and such love the ultrawide because you can see more of the track on the same screen at the same time.

I don't edit, but I've seen that said several times.

I don't think we should assume how powerful the next series is, or how long it'll take him to upgrade.

I think we're at least 2-3 years away from such cards.

Gaming while watching a video/livestream is possible. Also using the other screen to do some work then gaming in between renders or whatever without needing to switch windows. You can also use the separate monitor to monitor statistics, cpu usage, or whatever.

Spoiler

Gaming while watching a video/livestream is possible. Also using the other screen to do some work then gaming in between renders or whatever without needing to switch windows. You can also use the separate monitor to monitor statistics, cpu usage, or whatever.

True, but very specific use cases. Especially the last one.

The gaming between renders would make sense. Couldn't you just play on the same screen with it running in the background?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

True, but very specific use cases. Especially the last one.

The gaming between renders would make sense. Couldn't you just play on the same screen with it running in the background?

Then you can't see how far along it is, or a log, and you don't need to switch bck and forth through windows :)

Spoiler

The AOC is launching in the UK for £500 so it'll probably launch in America at some bullshit price like $550. Us Brits are always getting screwed.

If so, get that monitor and a second 780.

@jedylan, you should do a poll with a request to explain why a single member would recommend one option over the other.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

As someone who does video editing, get either one or two 27 inch monitors and go from there. As nice as the ultra wide look, they don't provide enough screen real-estate, particularly if your looking at multitrack for your audio and video. With the Asus PB's you can pivot these to portrait mode, giving both a wide screen with two being used, as well as two tall screens for those multiple tracks in your work. Also once you get into editing you'll soon realise that two screens are not enough, I'm at three currently and will be upgrading shortly.

What about a 34" for a main display, with potential to expand with a couple of 27" ancillaries? 

The AOC is launching in the UK for £500 so it'll probably launch in America at some bullshit price like $550. 

If the AOC comes out at the right price, you might even be able to get one and a 27" for about $1k...

I'm at three currently and will be upgrading shortly.

...and that way you may be able to avoid limitations with three 27" monitors down the line.

Are you not entertained!?

What about a 34" for a main display, with potential to expand with a couple of 27" ancillaries? 

If the AOC comes out at the right price, you might even be able to get one and a 27" for about $1k...

...and that way you may be able to avoid limitations with three 27" monitors down the line.

Probably the best thing is to start with a 27 inch, and go from there.  Not sure where the limitations of 27 inch monitors came from, I use three cheap 21.5 inch monitors that need to be replaced, primarily becuase they're not up to the color standard I need to be (I purchased them for MS Office use so color didn't matter then) - although one I will keep as a preview for what my work might look like on typicaly cheap monitors.  If you look at the full time video editors (I do it as a second income), you'll see they use a variety of monitor sizes, as fits their workflow.  Please don't buy all your monitors at once, get one good one (as defined by your needs), then work out from there what you need.  My suggestion for getting a 27 inch first, is that you will most likely want one of these at some point anyway - rather than getting the wide screen and deciding that it doesn't fit your workflow needs.  I think also the widescreen as they are relatively new, really have a price premium.  Comparing for example the LG 25630 x 1440 ultrawide screen with ASUS PA 27in, the LG is sRGB standard, and I think has picture in picture (don't quote me on that though), while the PA is 100% sRBG, 99% AdobeRGB, wide color gamet, 10 bit color with a 14 bit color look up table, has picture in picture, has a fantastic stand allowing height adjust and pivot (from landscape to portrait), and color balancing - yet these two monitors are approximately the same price.  I would ask does a couple more inches either side of 16:9 screen justify the increased price?

I second the idea of having an auxlliary 27" 1440p monitor with a 21:9 main (For as long as you get the AOC one). Tht's easily much more space than 2 of the same 1440p monitors, giving you more screen-real estate.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

get 3 21:9 monitors for surround :P I kid, of course

but, if you're mostly editing/being productive, 2 screens is better,

if you're mostly gaming, get the 21:9, and use your current screen as secondary. 

I have a 21:9 1080p screen, and by itself, it was a fair bit more real estate than I imagined over a 16:9

Home is where the heart my desktop is.