Win 8.1 start menu/side bar stops working

Tazman192

Hey.

I've experienced a problem with windows 8.1 ever since building this pc. Basically, when using my pc, at random times the start menu stops working. I.e, when I click the start button, the menu does not come up, right click does not also work to bring up the power menu. The sidebar does not also appear. I've done a few reformats for various reasons and it's not appeared to have fixed the issue.

The one thing that does fix the issue is ending exploxer.exe from task manager, and then running it again, or right clicking explorer.exe and restarting.

I'm not sure what causes this issue and was just wondering whether anyone else has experienced this, and if so, any fixes? Is it a glitch in 8.1?

Cheers.

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

Windows 8 doesn't have a start menu.

If you used a tweak tool to change things in Windows or registry cleaner or perform any file system modification, then we can't help you.

It can also be a software you install that does this. I suggest a vanilla install of Windows 8 and install nothing else beside your drivers. If you have specialty drivers, don't install them.

See if the problem is fixed. My guess, is that it could be legacy program thinking you have Windows XP or something, and tried to have explorer load something that it can't support as it no longer have Internet Explorer (since Vista) embedded inside. They are software where they use a stupid if condition, and goes "if (os == 'Windows 7' OR os == 'Windows Vista') {...} else { installComponent();", as you have Windows 8, it thinks you have XP, as they don't check for the version number of OS, and actually build a smart system to know better.

Windows 8 doesn't have a start menu.

If you used a tweak tool to change things in Windows or registry cleaner or perform any file system modification, then we can't help you.

It can also be a software you install that does this. I suggest a vanilla install of Windows 8 and install nothing else beside your drivers. If you have specialty drivers, don't install them.

See if the problem is fixed. My guess, is that it could be legacy program thinking you have Windows XP or something, and tried to have explorer load something that it can't support as it no longer have Internet Explorer (since Vista) embedded inside. They are software where they use a stupid if condition, and goes "if (os == 'Windows 7' OR os == 'Windows Vista') {...} else { installComponent();", as you have Windows 8, it thinks you have XP, as they don't check for the version number of OS, and actually build a smart system to know better.

I mean the application screen or whatever it's called.

The drivers I isntall are always basic, and even on a clean install the problem occurs. I originally thought the culprit was foobar as I noticed it occasionally happened when I opened foobar (not always). However, a clean install with nothing but essential drivers (lan, graphics, audio) did not rectify the problem. I did use CCleaner and ran the registry cleaner as I have been doing on all my machines for years now, but again, I didn't install this on a fresh installation of windows.

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

Start Screen. Ok I get you.

I have done several tests on my sides since I read your problem.

Even leaving my computer on for several days without reboot (despite pending Windows updates), to see if it show up. Nothing.

However, I do recall from Windows Vista and 7 days, where a firewall software mixed with my mouse driver, when the firewall window was open, the mouse could not interact with it, and the Start Menu button on the task bar didn't work (but the windows key on the keyboard worked). The fix was to remove either. I removed the firewall as Windows has a pretty good one built-in, since Vista. I was more testing the installed software.

What I would suggests, just for testing purposes, uninstall your mouse and keyboard drivers. Let Windows use the generic built-in ones, and see if your problem is fixed. I am thinking it could be something strange like I experience.

Start Screen. Ok I get you.

I have done several tests on my sides since I read your problem.

Even leaving my computer on for several days without reboot (despite pending Windows updates), to see if it show up. Nothing.

However, I do recall from Windows Vista and 7 days, where a firewall software mixed with my mouse driver, when the firewall window was open, the mouse could not interact with it, and the Start Menu button on the task bar didn't work (but the windows key on the keyboard worked). The fix was to remove either. I removed the firewall as Windows has a pretty good one built-in, since Vista. I was more testing the installed software.

What I would suggests, just for testing purposes, uninstall your mouse and keyboard drivers. Let Windows use the generic built-in ones, and see if your problem is fixed. I am thinking it could be something strange like I experience.

Hey.

Sorry for the late reply. I am using the generic mouse and keyboard drivers.