Performance Custom Watercooling

So these days I have some thoughts about one of my custom loops. I used to have an EK XT 360mm with e-Loop B12-4. With this setup and my GTX 780 Ti I could actually achieve amazing OC results (I´m not a silent freak).

Since I have another GTX 780 Ti now (just finished basic tests on aircooling and stability stress tests) I will put this card as well in the loop.

If you do the math you figure a 360mm rad won´t be sufficent, not if you´re looking for a good Delta T.

So I thought I might get just a 480mm or 560mm rad and live with that. And for this setup these rads would surely do the job (I use a Corsair 900d so space isn´t a real problem). I was never a friend of small rads below a 240mm, so not really an option for me.

But now I am actually rethinking this way. Because I might go for a 3 way SLI with Maxwell and since I am an OC guy I need more resources. I will OC these 780 Ti balls to the wall. I don´t think it would be a wise choice to wander across the edge of temps all the time. Which brings me to something that gets more and more interesting. The Phobya G-Changer Xtreme NOVA 1080 radiator, with 4 180mm Silverstone fans... with this setup I will have tons of reserves for my GPU loop.

What do you guys think of these big monster radiators and such big performance watercooling loops?

Budget isn´t really a question for me, and I do have things like pump, res already. I´d end up with something around 550 USD.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_457_667_975&products_id=36764

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

More cooling the better? I mean they will perform better. What is there to think?

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

More cooling the better? I mean they will perform better. What is there to think?

I was just thinking that it might look a bit bulky with that big 900d and a big external rad... but on the other hand there is no such thing as overkill, just more performance.

But I am interested in different opinions and maybe some guys here do have one of these big rads them selves and could tell me how they like it.

Also to make this a bit easier I´ll go with quick connectors to have still the option to move the rad and case easy if neccessary.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

If you have a 900D why not put a 480 in the top and 480 in the bottom and call it a day?

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

If you have a 900D why not put a 480 in the top and 480 in the bottom and call it a day?

Because I use 2 seperate loops in my system. The CPU loop has the rad on top and I will not strip it down to 1 single big loop.

Besides that I would end up pretty much with the same price when I´d go for 2 480 rads now with more fans and stuff...

Because I use 2 seperate loops in my system. The CPU loop has the rad on top and I will not strip it down to 1 single big loop.

Besides that I would end up pretty much with the same price when I´d go for 2 480 rads now with more fans and stuff...

I agree with Str_Mape You don't have to tho. Overkill the CPU loop with the top 480. Use the bottom 480 for the GPU's.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

I agree with Str_Mape You don't have to tho. Overkill the CPU loop with the top 480. Use the bottom 480 for the GPU's.

Why would I want to mount a 480 for CPU and mainboard ?!? I do have an EK XTX (80mm thick) 240mm rad with e-Loop B12-4 fans. Highest I get in stress test for CPU is 48° Celsius and the CPU runs at 4.6 GHz. No this loop is perfectly fine the way it is. Maybe I´ll take my XT 360mm later down the road when X99 is released and that Haswell E with its higher TDP needs more cooling.

The point here is the GPU loop, and I start really thinking about rads like the Phobya G-Changer 1080 9x120mm or 4x180mm.

Why would I want to mount a 480 for CPU and mainboard ?!? I do have an EK XTX (80mm thick) 240mm rad with e-Loop B12-4 fans. Highest I get in stress test for CPU is 48° Celsius and the CPU runs at 4.6 GHz. No this loop is perfectly fine the way it is. Maybe I´ll take my XT 360mm later down the road when X99 is released and that Haswell E with its higher TDP needs more cooling.

The point here is the GPU loop, and I start really thinking about rads like the Phobya G-Changer 1080 9x120mm or 4x180mm.

K, so you basically you already have your CPU covered. A 480mm UT60 in the bottom would do the job on a dual/triple GPU setup. Internally mounted radiators look cleaner IMO. However it's your build, your money. Do what you want with it. :)

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

K, so you basically you already have your CPU covered. A 480mm UT60 in the bottom would do the job on a dual/triple GPU setup. Internally mounted radiators like cleaner IMO. However it's your build, your money. Do what you want with it. :)

My GPU setup now is a Swiftech D5 variable pump with a 500ml res, an EK XT 360mm rad using e-Loop B12-4 fans and XSPC tubing 1/2" ID to cool a GTX 780 Ti that has a EK full cover water block (and backplate as gimmick :) ).

I know exactly what you mean internal rads look cleaner but performance wise the big external rad is better IMHO.

This rig is anyway my enthusiast pc and I pretty much built my office around it (will make a full show off when X99 comes out, because I´ll skip the tubing for acrylic pipes then). That computer is anyway on a nice stand and I´ve got the space to put up a monster rad.

My other pc´s a fine with air cooling, in fact I´ll put a new streaming pc for my living room together this we, since a friend bought the one that I had there lol.

So these days I have some thoughts about one of my custom loops. I used to have an EK XT 360mm with e-Loop B12-4. With this setup and my GTX 780 Ti I could actually achieve amazing OC results (I´m not a silent freak).

Since I have another GTX 780 Ti now (just finished basic tests on aircooling and stability stress tests) I will put this card as well in the loop.

If you do the math you figure a 360mm rad won´t be sufficent, not if you´re looking for a good Delta T.

So I thought I might get just a 480mm or 560mm rad and live with that. And for this setup these rads would surely do the job (I use a Corsair 900d so space isn´t a real problem). I was never a friend of small rads below a 240mm, so not really an option for me.

But now I am actually rethinking this way. Because I might go for a 3 way SLI with Maxwell and since I am an OC guy I need more resources. I will OC these 780 Ti balls to the wall. I don´t think it would be a wise choice to wander across the edge of temps all the time. Which brings me to something that gets more and more interesting. The Phobya G-Changer Xtreme NOVA 1080 radiator, with 4 180mm Silverstone fans... with this setup I will have tons of reserves for my GPU loop.

What do you guys think of these big monster radiators and such big performance watercooling loops?

Budget isn´t really a question for me, and I do have things like pump, res already. I´d end up with something around 550 USD.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_457_667_975&products_id=36764

The phobya G-Changer 1080 is a really good and versatile radiator but if you  get that it would kind of make the 900D a wasted space. I feel you would get the cooling you want if you do thick 420mm radiators instead. So you can have the EK 360mm in front and two 420mm on top and the side.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Alright thought I´d give you guys a quick update how this story ended... got finally all my parts inclusive that monster of a radiator... man when you are used to 120mm fans those 180mm look unreal haha :).

System isn´t fully tested yet and I can´t say too much about OC but after 2 hours Unigine Valley with mild OCing (1202/1875) I had 37° Celsius (room temp was 24° Celsius). That Radiator is just amazing and looks really decent. Bad part was I wanted to get another black backplate... and they were sold out... luckily my color scheme is black and red so I had 2 red backplates rushed over to my place :) .

Over all I´ve got about 3 liters of distilled water in that loop (as comparision my other GPU loop had about 750ml). As conclusion I will make the statement that for a multi GPU setup the 1080 radiator was a very good decision.

Foto1_zpsc28ef496.jpg

Foto4_zps1a07e83e.jpg

Foto2_zpse77a8fc6.jpg