Help overclocking FX-8350 on Gigabyte mobo (UEFI)

Go to solution Solved by Altecice,

Disabled your CE1 and C6 state and try again. you are safe up untill 1.5v on the Vcore :) I could reach 4.8 stable at 1.475v

I read a couple of guides online and decided to try my hand at overclocking my CPU. I only have a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo, so I decided I would only attempt a modest overclock to start.

I disabled Cool n quiet mode, enabled CPU unlock and set the ratio limit(CPB ratio) to 22. I then increased the multiplier from 20 to 21. I rebooted and ran Prime95 for 10 minutes with no errors, and my CPU temps stayed around 41C.

I noticed in CPU-Z the multiplier was reading as 20.5 instead of 21 as I had set it. But ignoring this, I increased the multiplier to 21.5 and tried again.

While running Prime95, my temps never exceeded 40C and I could see the load was constant 100% on all cores. I noticed the multiplier was flicking between 21.5 and 17 although the load was always at 100%. After about 2 minutes, Prime95 crashed. I started it again and within a minute the whole machine crashed.

Here is a picture of my settings:
http://imgur.com/dKv2zWY

I'm pretty sure I should be stable at just 4.3GHz without touching voltage or anything, and my temps aren't even going high. What should I do?

By the way, mobo is a GA 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4

Disabled your CE1 and C6 state and try again. you are safe up untill 1.5v on the Vcore :) I could reach 4.8 stable at 1.475v

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Disabled your CE1 and C6 state and try again. you are safe up untill 1.5v on the Vcore :) I could reach 4.8 stable at 1.475v

This. Although on air I wouldn't attempt anything near 4.7 plus. I got a 6300 prime95 stable @ 5 ghz and 1.55v under water though.
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Ok, so I disabled C1E and C6, I also turned off the Core Performance Boost. Upon doing this, the multiplier stays at 21.5.

Prime95 fails (1 worker fails) after about 2 minutes of running, although temps never exceed 43C. I set my core voltage to 1.325v, but I have quite a bit of Vdrop as I see about 2.6v at full load in CPU-Z.

Should I change my LLC settings, or just increase the voltage more?

Ok so I increased the voltage to 1.425v and managed to run Prime95 for 10 minutes at 4.5GHz without exceeding 49C.

Again, my load voltage is a bit low, so should I be changing my LLC settings, or just leave them alone?

Ok so I increased the voltage to 1.425v and managed to run Prime95 for 10 minutes at 4.5GHz without exceeding 49C.

Again, my load voltage is a bit low, so should I be changing my LLC settings, or just leave them alone?

What are your socket temps @ that voltage? What test are u running in prime95?

Temps never exceed 49C at 1.425 volts at 4.5GHz. 

I am running the small fft test(first option) as I only want to test my CPU now and want to get the worst case results. 

Lots of people are advising against Prime95 for FX processors, so I will run OCCT when I get a chance. I am also hearing that I should increase my LLC to reduce the Vdrop, but what would be the adverse effects of that?

This. Although on air I wouldn't attempt anything near 4.7 plus. I got a 6300 prime95 stable @ 5 ghz and 1.55v under water though.

Depends on the voltage I guess, my A8 can do 4.9 @ ~1.41v which is only a little above stock :D

Temps never exceed 49C at 1.425 volts at 4.5GHz.

I am running the small fft test(first option) as I only want to test my CPU now and want to get the worst case results.

Lots of people are advising against Prime95 for FX processors, so I will run OCCT when I get a chance. I am also hearing that I should increase my LLC to reduce the Vdrop, but what would be the adverse effects of that?

Prime95 not being nice to FX chips is a thing of the past. Run a custom test using 75% of your ram to test stability. I only run 10min small fft to see what type of heat I get.

Just keep an eye on socket temps. They will hit the ceiling faster than core temps with this chip. The VRM's transfer alot of heat.