and then you would run out of power to run that many fans if you start hooking up grids to it

USB header expansion? that's another $20 bucks.....maybe if it was at least 8 ports, then I could easily associate one per radiator.

I still think they really missed the details on this

That was actually a sneaky Linus edit :3 kinda necessary with the lack of availability on both NCIX and Amazon :S...

Is there a reason he doesn't post links for newegg and tiger direct?

Is there a reason he doesn't post links for newegg and tiger direct?

We have a longstanding relationship with NCIX and we work with them quite often.

We have a longstanding relationship with NCIX and we work with them quite often.

Oh I know that. The NCIX channel is where I started watching Linus. Unfortunately I don't shop there. :(

Tell Linus he's a sellout :P

jk

Linus dat public ip.

He could be using a VPN

Desktop: i7-4790k, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, 2xR9 290 Vapor-X's (1 working atm), Asus Z97-Pro, NZXT H440 White, 16GB G. Skill Sniper RAM, NZXT HALE V90 850W.

Laptop: Samsung Chromebook 11.6" 

Phone: 8GB Galaxy S4

I am still waiting until i can get the CAM software on my android, it should be already released back in june, but they delayed it 2 flippin' months >_>

Not sure why they made a big noise of CAM software, and nothing changed since the release 2 months ago...

Not sure if i like them now...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Nvm, it's pretty high on price. Should just use speedfan.

I hope they use a VPN, they posted a public IP address with that video.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Anyone know if it will ramp up the fans to 100% at the start before the software is launched or can it control the fans during computer startup?

It has no control until the CAM software starts at launch, so yeah, 100%.

It has no control until the CAM software starts at launch, so yeah, 100%.

Damn :/ It's a small thing but still I find it annoying ^^ Thanks for the answer anyways!

• 1 month later...

This is my first post on the forums, and wanted to help a little since I purchased the Grid+ already.

Would be interested to know if these can turn the fans all the way off and whether it 'remembers' fan settings or you have to have a process running.

The Cam software can only bring the fans down to 40%, no lower than that. But hopefully they could change that in a future software update. And the cam software has to be running to control the Grid+ and the fans, but it is fairly non-intrusive, and you can have it start minimized and you don't even notice it's there. 

you can control the speed of each fan separately?

Thanks

Unfortunately, you cannot control the speed of the fans separately, the fans will all follow the same percentage. However, I am hoping that a software update can make individual fan control possible in the future.

how do i connect 4 pin fans to it ?

The Grid+ actually comes with two fan splitters. One end is a 3 pin female connection that goes into the Grid+ and the other end splits into a 3 pin male connector and 4 pin male connector. This lets you plug in two 4 pin fans into it right out of the box. Also, any 3 pin to 4 pin wire or splitter should work just fine.

i got mine in today too. i'm not sure if i'll keep it. the idea is nice but i think it's poorly executed in some ways. there are some benefits to having it and some disadvantages. 

the main things about the product that appeal to me are the fact that i can hide it behind the optical disk drive trays in the corsair 350d, and, not have to play with any knobs or touchscreens. the brushed aluminum front of the 350D is totally killed once you start putting 5.25" bays/devices in because to the left and the right of the bay is just plastic that isn't flush with the i/o and front aluminum plate that covers the fans. so with this i can keep the aluminum drive plates in place and keep the nice, sleek brushed aluminum front.

the second thing is that since the cpu fan automatically ramps up from value to value with no interim that when i launch a game or anything cpu intensive that i can be sure the fans will ramp up to the speed i need them. and then vice versa; when i walk away or alt-f4 out of a game and leave and lock my pc i can be sure that they'll just go back down to 40%. like i said, no playing with knobs or touch screens.

i agree that the software is limiting what could be a great product. 5 watts per channel is sufficient for my build; the aerocool shark 120 and 140mm fans both top out at 5 watts for max speed and my cpu fans are plugged into the pwm headers so that's just what i need. i dont really have the option to use my mobo headers because i only have 2 free and they only output 5 watts per channel, so, if i use those i still need to come up with some kind of controller for the other 3 fans. i don't like having fans plugged into molex running at full power, besides, who does that anymore these days lol.

i dunno, i mean as im typing this i become more and more pleased with the idea of having the back and forth automatic fan control between 40 and 100. 40 is quiet enough for my uses, and, it keeps my rig slightly lit up, and 100 is exactly what i want when im gaming. so, from my perspective, i don't really need anything else. i can also manually set the fan's to 40% and 100% when needed and have them stay there. so i really like that.

here's the bottom line: is it worth 30 bucks right now for most people? probably not and you should only buy it after you've really assessed your use case and figuring out what's important to you. 

i agree that the software is limiting what could be a great product.

Your whole post was very well written dajinn, and I agree that the software is the big limiting factoring. For example, only being able to set changes in fan speeds every 10 degrees Celsius is kind of silly. If the software gets some more updates that unlock more of its potential, it will be a killer product for 30 bucks. But only IF those updates come.

hah the more i think about it the more i like it. it serves my needs quite well. i just don't think i'll be able to say the same for others. 

Bought one for my media PC and having some issues with it. Each time i boot up the system and the CAM software loads & It keeps incorrectly registering the wrong CPU temps and then running the fans at 100%. HWmonitor says CPU is running at 20 idle 55 load, where as CAM detects 65 idle & 90 load. I updated bios on mobo, catalyst drivers for the APU  etc to make sure things are right on that side. But it seems the software doesn't like the AMD APU's. No where is the system running at 65-90 degrees for it to get those temps from so until NZXT patchs the cam software I'm forced to manually control the fans voiding the purpose of the controller.

Do the AMD APUs report separate temps even though it's on-die? It could be adding them together, the 65 idle reported by cam could be 20 idle for the CPU cores and the other 45 degrees the idle from the APU itself. I won't pretend and/or admit that it makes any sense at all for an on-die APU to run 25 degrees hotter than the processor cores at idle, but, it's all I can think of.

• 8 months later...

Here's a stupid question, can you connect Noctua PWM fans to this little thing?

I've just replaced all my fans with Noctua NF-A14PWMs (four of them - one for the NZXT Kraken X41 and the rest as case fans) so imagine my surprise/frustration when I realised that my case's neat fan header/controller has 3 pin connectors that won't fit the Noctuas!  I've been looking for 3 pin female 4 pin male adapters, alas no luck so far (unless I'm looking for the wrong thing?).

I'm hoping the Grid+ can solve my woes  :)

you can connect 4 pin connectors to it no issue. and if you have a NZXT case you can connect 4 pins to the built in controller. but not easily.

• 7 months later...

This thing was fantastic when it worked. It worked for a month or so and then stopped. The NZXT CAM software no longer recognizes it and therefor I can't change any settings. I reinstalled the driver for it and it worked for a while before, again no longer being recognized. When not being able to control the fans from CAM the fans usually still run so at least my system doesn't overheat. I say usually because once all my case fans turned off and my computer overheated and had to shutdown. Hopefully they fix the issue soon.

• 10 months later...

I have install the Grid +v2, and using the CAM software. But the problem is that I can't control the fans at all? have any idea how to fix?

The CAM software is different looks than the one shows ont he review vedio.