Upgrade from a FX-8120?

Overall im just looking for some suggestions to either stay on AMD as far as processor, or say screw it and completely upgrade my rig to go intel. At the time of buying my current rig I did not have a job and most of the money was from saving a long whole. 

If I go intel im going to go all the way, 150-200$ mobo and a 200-300$ processor. Im looking for more of a bang for your buck within that price range. 

If you're fanboying please add a little disclaimer at the top, I always do  ;)

DISCLAIMER: IM ABOUT TO FANBOY

CORSAIR PSU'S ARE LIFE.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Micro Center) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($134.99 @ Amazon) 

Total: $334.98

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-23 18:14 EDT-0400

I find this to be a rather good bang-for-your-buck solution. There are probably better motherboards out there, but for the price this one looks awesome.

I'd have to say use it till it can't perform well anymore - You'll be golden for a few years though.

There's no solid reason to upgrade right now.

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

I'd go for a GA Z97X Gaming 5 or Z97X SOC and a 4790k

Error: 410

Depending on how many SATA ports you need, I'd go either with MSI Z97 Gaming 3/5 and 4690k, or since newegg has a nice combo deal right now, MSI Gaming 5/7 and 4790k shaving $45 off the usual price tag, meaning $100-125 board(after discount) and $340 chip, which balances a bit better with the numbers you listed than they would in a normal situation.

Of course, frankly you should try to overclock your 8150 and get another couple years out of it. Skylake brings 4 more PCIe lanes (in PCIe 4.0 mode) as well as matured DDR4, and this is in early 2016 if everything comes together.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Depending on how many SATA ports you need, I'd go either with MSI Z97 Gaming 3/5 and 4690k, or since newegg has a nice combo deal right now, MSI Gaming 5/7 and 4790k shaving $45 off the usual price tag, meaning $100-125 board(after discount) and $340 chip, which balances a bit better with the numbers you listed than they would in a normal situation.

Of course, frankly you should try to overclock your 8150 and get another couple years out of it. Skylake brings 4 more PCIe lanes (in PCIe 4.0 mode) as well as matured DDR4, and this is in early 2016 if everything comes together.

I would love to OC my 8120 but I can't get anything to seem really stable. I usually just go basic and try pushing it to 4.0ghz but if I launch a game or anything, all crashes and dies. 

Yarrrrr,

I know this not be an answer to ye question.

But if ye not be using cpu intensive programs and just game a lot.

I'd be spending that upgrade money on a more powerful GPU.

If ye be using CPU intensive programs then pick any already mentioned post with some intel board and the 4690k.

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

I would love to OC my 8120 but I can't get anything to seem really stable. I usually just go basic and try pushing it to 4.0ghz but if I launch a game or anything, all crashes and dies. 

Do you have stock heatsink?

Dont run a game first and do some stress testing

My PC:

Spoiler

MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti D5 4G, Ram: 16GB (2x8) HyperX Fury DDR4, Case: NZXT S340, Psu: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W , HDD's: WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 256GB Scorpio Blue, WD 2TB Caviar Blue  SSD: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240Gb

Do you have stock heatsink?

Dont run a game first and do some stress testing

Im using a V1 of a Corsair H60 with a second fan attached to the 120mm rad. (You can use two but it only comes with one)

It keeps the temperatures pretty decent about 53c under load.

Im using a V1 of a Corsair H60 with a second fan attached to the 120mm rad. (You can use two but it only comes with one)

It keeps the temperatures pretty decent about 53c under load.

That is more than weird. What's your RAM specs?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

That is more than weird. What's your RAM specs?

Pretty sure its G. Skill Sniper Ram 8Gb 2 dimms 1600mhz

Got it for 50$ on cyber monday. 

4.0 is a pretty low overclock, you must be doing something wrong with the voltage or LLC.

Error: 410

Pretty sure its G. Skill Sniper Ram 8Gb 2 dimms 1600mhz

Got it for 50$ on cyber monday. 

4.0 is a pretty low overclock, you must be doing something wrong with the voltage or LLC.

^This. Try following an online guide for the 8350 (very popular OC'ing option). You must be forgetting to adjust some voltage or multiplier or are doing it to too great/little a degree.

^This. Try following an online guide for the 8350 (very popular OC'ing option). You must be forgetting to adjust some voltage or multiplier or are doing it to too great/little a degree.

I have the voltage on auto.

This a no-no?

Also, fairly sorry for being 100% noob about this guys  :unsure:

Also, fairly sorry for being 100% noob about this guys  :unsure:

There´s no need to be sorry :) we are here to help each other.

If you have the money I´d skip that AMD for a Devil´s Canyon i5 4690K. This is just an awesome CPU and they tend to OC like charms. You will have the next years no issues in any game :) .

If you are working (like rendering) with the rig I´d try to save up more money for the i7 4790K. I´ve got the i7 4770K and I´m super happy with it. I´ll keep that  CPU for the next couple of years (will go in my HTPC in my bed room as soon as X99 is released).

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

There´s no need to be sorry :) we are here to help each other.

If you have the money I´d skip that AMD for a Devil´s Canyon i5 4690K. This is just an awesome CPU and they tend to OC like charms. You will have the next years no issues in any game :) .

If you are working (like rendering) with the rig I´d try to save up more money for the i7 4790K. I´ve got the i7 4770K and I´m super happy with it. I´ll keep that  CPU for the next couple of years (will go in my HTPC in my bed room as soon as X99 is released).

I mean, if he needs the extra cores, then he should have them, and if the overclocking is good it can get close to the 4670k.

Also, auto voltage is a no-no. It's gotta be manual. I have never overclocked AMD chips, so I've no clue what voltages should do what, but see what your default voltage is, increase clock rates by .1 GHz with each boot until it's unstable after 10 mins of AIDA64.

I mean, if he needs the extra cores, then he should have them, and if the overclocking is good it can get close to the 4670k.

Also, auto voltage is a no-no. It's gotta be manual. I have never overclocked AMD chips, so I've no clue what voltages should do what, but see what your default voltage is, increase clock rates by .1 GHz with each boot until it's unstable after 10 mins of AIDA64.

If he needs the extra cores and if he can actually afford it go with the i7 4790K with HT. There´s no AMD out there that can keep up with this CPU.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

If he needs the extra cores and if he can actually afford it go with the i7 4790K with HT. There´s no AMD out there that can keep up with this CPU.

Except in applications which use more than 5 simultaneous cores. The 4790k is doubtlessly Intel's Flagship and should be good on performance for most anything in the next five years. On the other hand, an FX chip provides 32 PCIe lanes to Haswell's 16, and for any professional work which can utilize all 8 cores well, the FX 8150, with a good overclock, can best the 4790k. There are adobe video rendering benchmarks which show the 8350 more than handily beating the 4770k, and the 4790k is just a 10% clock increase of the same chip.

For multitrack audio and/or video mixing, and for anything involving multi-core Pro-Art stuff, frankly it's socket 2011 with I7 high-end 38/9, 48/9, or Xeon; or it's AMD socket AM3+ FX/Opteron.

In fact it's the 4790k which most pisses me off because the Haswell extreme series has nothing in the pipeline with clock speeds near 4.4 GHz, and that's the only place you get more than 16 PCIe lanes.

Except in applications which use more than 5 simultaneous cores. The 4790k is doubtlessly Intel's Flagship and should be good on performance for most anything in the next five years. On the other hand, an FX chip provides 32 PCIe lanes to Haswell's 16, and for any professional work which can utilize all 8 cores well, the FX 8150, with a good overclock, can best the 4790k. There are adobe video rendering benchmarks which show the 8350 more than handily beating the 4770k, and the 4790k is just a 10% clock increase of the same chip.

For multitrack audio and/or video mixing, and for anything involving multi-core Pro-Art stuff, frankly it's socket 2011 with I7 high-end 38/9, 48/9, or Xeon; or it's AMD socket AM3+ FX/Opteron.

In fact it's the 4790k which most pisses me off because the Haswell extreme series has nothing in the pipeline with clock speeds near 4.4 GHz, and that's the only place you get more than 16 PCIe lanes.

Yeah I know the new upcoming X99 8 core 5960X Haswell E will have a base clock of 3GHz, it remains to be seen how OC able this CPU will be. But I´ll get this anyway and put it to the test :) . If I can squeeze 4GHz out of it on water I should be happy since there are 8 cores.

But overall the Intel performance CPU wise is great and the only true "disadvantage" for most gamers that use multi GPU settings is that the CPU can´t handle PCIe 3.0 16x on more than 1 slot but PCIe 3.0 8x is the same speed as PCIe 2.0 16x so the performance loss is more on the marginal side.

And please don´t get me wrong the AMD FX 8350 is a nice CPU for me, with the right cooler it´s and decent OC it will handle pretty much anything, and comes with a good price to performance ratio if you´re on a budget.

i5 paired with a z87/z97 motherboard.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

Yeah I know the new upcoming X99 8 core 5960X Haswell E will have a base clock of 3GHz, it remains to be seen how OC able this CPU will be. But I´ll get this anyway and put it to the test :) . If I can squeeze 4GHz out of it on water I should be happy since there are 8 cores.

But overall the Intel performance CPU wise is great and the only true "disadvantage" for most gamers that use multi GPU settings is that the CPU can´t handle PCIe 3.0 16x on more than 1 slot but PCIe 3.0 8x is the same speed as PCIe 2.0 16x so the performance loss is more on the marginal side.

And please don´t get me wrong the AMD FX 8350 is a nice CPU for me, with the right cooler it´s and decent OC it will handle pretty much anything, and comes with a good price to performance ratio if you´re on a budget.

No one gets 33% overclocking margins anymore on water, especially not on 6 and 8-core solutions. If you get past 3.6 it's a saintly chip.

No one gets 33% overclocking margins anymore on water, especially not on 6 and 8-core solutions. If you get past 3.6 it's a saintly chip.

Yeah that might be true, but I´ll wait and see :) . But 4 GHz would be a dream... even though it might not be super realistic haha ;) .