Steam Music desktop interface enters Beta.

Rafy

Steam Music Beta participants now have access to Steam's music features using the desktop interface, in addition to Big Picture mode. The desktop interface includes all the same features, including library setup, album and artist views, settings, and a basic player which is also available in-game via the Steam Overlay. If you've received an invite to the Music Beta, please give the new interface a try and share your feedback in the discussions.

music.png

As for the rest of you, watch this space for a beta invitation to all Steam users, coming soon.

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steammusic#announcements

This looks awesome, looks like we are going to have to wait for beta invites though. Those of you with access to the music beta can try it out now.

Can i has ?

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Do i join the group to enter the beta ?

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Do i join the group to enter the beta ?

Yep

YES

I love listening to music while gaming but having to alt tab to shuffle and what not made it suck

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

You have to use big picture or steam OS :(

You have to use big picture or steam OS :(

this is for desktop so I don't think that big picture is needed.

It says so in the group

Does it take the music from all of your games because that would be great. Instead of having to find all of the music files or downloading them from the internet in poorer quality it would be nice if all games on Steam had to confirm to a file system and file type that would be accessed by the Steam music player.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Just installed the update... got it to crawl through my music folder and it nicely recognised all of the albums. Works just like any music player and I guess it's pretty cool for those that like listening to music while gaming or just want 1 program less on their computer :P

Does it take the music from all of your games because that would be great. Instead of having to find all of the music files or downloading them from the internet in poorer quality it would be nice if all games on Steam had to confirm to a file system and file type that would be accessed by the Steam music player.

It will take music from wherever you point it to. Pick a folder in the Settings and it will scan that folder for music.

EDIT: Maybe they will add that option in the future.

You can have it point to your Steam folder, but that would be only beneficial if the game devs actually put their soundtracks in the downloads.

I just restarted Steam and got the update. It has two defaults, User/Music and Steam/Music in their directories. You can remove them both and I just added my secondary media drive with my music folder. Everything loaded up fine as far as I can see, it seems pretty cool but I still prefer MPC-HC.

So this is mainly a way to access music while in game? I mean otherwise why would I want to use this instead of foobar2k? Speaking of which is there a possible plug-in coming?

@valverion it looks cool I just don't thing I need it and consequently ever gonna use it. Like I said foobar plug-in and I'm on board.

I'll stick to VLC....

I haven't found an easy way to remote control it from within Steam overlay though

-------

Current Rig

-------

I haven't found an easy way to remote control it from within Steam overlay though

Well,you don't need to make everything easy  :D

when it first entered beta you needed too but idk about now.

Yep only works on big picture still atm.

http://i.imgur.com/Zjj4iTX.png

Source:http://m.pcgamer.com/2014/07/24/steam-music-moves-into-open-beta-desktop-interface-now-available/

"I've spent the last few minutes prodding the Steam Music beta. You can, too: it's now open to all who want to try it. It's, er, well basically, it's an mp3 player. But one that you can access in-game, through the Steam overlay. Yes, I know, not revolutionary, but there are a some reasons why it might be useful.

For instance: Big Picture mode. If you're PC is hooked up to a TV and a control pad, it's a pretty convenient way to blast out some custom tunes (that's still a thing people say, right?). And with the impending Steam Machines and Steam Controller, it makes sense that Valve would want to offer this type of in-app player."

Well it's at very basic stage now but I think it can become really really cool. They should add feature like music is playing while you are in lobby or in game warm up for example in counter strike and when the actual game begins music turns off automatically. I can see big potential with this.

This has been posted, but not with reference and with the purpose of being news, so I think this is fine. I think this can be useful for HTPC use and such but I doubt many people will use it on the desktop.

i'm a potato

This has been posted, but not with reference and with the purpose of being news, so I think this is fine. I think this can be useful for HTPC use and such but I doubt many people will use it on the desktop.

I sure will use it on the desktop. Being able to play music easily while in game is a great feature IMO. I won't have to ALT+TAB out of games to play/pause music. I am quite looking forward to this  :P

I should be studying.

Im too lazy to tab out so this is great

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue