Sound card for high end monitors?

MikkoP

Hi all!

I have been running my speakers off from my motherboard for quite some time now. I have a pair of Genelec 8020B with Genelec's F Two subwoofer. Having my whole CD collection on my hard disc in lossles format, I want to get the best out of my speakers. Let's say I'm willing to go to 150 €, what options do I have? 

Please, don't just sort the lists by price and then pick the most expensive that fits the budget. Specify why that option is good and wether you have your own experience or not. Be specific! 

Thanks,

Mikko

Grab a DAC/AMP combo.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

A soundcard is a waste of money, you might as well get new speakers for 150$

Onboard audio should be more than enough, unless you have some super expensive speakers. Or if you're just one of those people, that can tell the difference using different power plugs :)

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Swapping your sound device won't make a single difference, just save your money for something else. 

A soundcard is a waste of money, you might as well get new speakers for 150$

Sure :P

Onboard audio should be more than enough, unless you have some super expensive speakers. Or if you're just one of those people, that can tell the difference using different power plugs :)

Well, not the most über expensive ones, but 500 $ each is still quite a lot. And yes, depending on the power cord, I can tell the difference on bad speakers. The hisss sound can be bad with a bad cord.

Sure :P

Well, not the most über expensive ones, but 500 $ each is still quite a lot. And yes, depending on the power cord, I can tell the difference on bad speakers. The hisss sound can be bad with a bad cord.

http://www.head-fi.org/

This website might be of more help to you then we can be...

ngah

If you want to deal with a guy who believes in power cable swapping, then go ham, I just directed him towards like minded people. 

Those speakers have an internal AMP, don't put another AMP in front of them, get a standalone DAC/audio interface if anything, preferably with 1/4" balanced TRS (not the cheapest), if not, RCA outputs will do (eg, Audioengine D1 or JDS Labs ODAC w/ RCA output). The Audioengine D1 also has a headphone out, which makes them a bit more versatile than the ODAC.

If you want to deal with a guy who believes in power cable swapping, then go ham, I just directed him towards like minded people. 

Oh good. I hadn't read the whole thread, head-fi just jumped out at me like a mugger.

Oh good. I hadn't read the whole thread, head-fi just jumped out at me like a mugger.

I feel like ot would be more along the lines of a homeless man who wants to show you his fungal infections.

I feel like ot would be more along the lines of a homeless man who wants to show you his fungal infections.

At least fungus is based on reality.

At least fungus is based on reality.

At least until he starts telling you that the one on his back makes concrete feel like a downed bed,

PSU AX850 Processor 3930k @ 4.2  Motherboard Asus x79 Sabertooth Ram Gskill Ripjaw Z 32gb 2133Mhz GPU EVGA GTX 780 reference HDD 128gb Samsung 840 Pro Monitor Asus pb278q Case 800d Cooler H100i Audio Interface Mbox mini Monitors JBL LSR305's

Get an Odac. Epiphany Acoustics makes it and they are in Britain though.

You know how we feel about your power cables here. 

Except that its wasteful to spend when there is no reason to spend. 

Wasteful FTW.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I have some IEC refined micro balanced power cables here, I'm not using them and would be happy to sell them $100 each plus shipping (they retail for $300 new).  PM if your interested.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Except that its wasteful to spend when there is no reason to spend. 

Right, because most people use unbalanced RCA's with a 1,500 Genelec playback system. 

PSU AX850 Processor 3930k @ 4.2  Motherboard Asus x79 Sabertooth Ram Gskill Ripjaw Z 32gb 2133Mhz GPU EVGA GTX 780 reference HDD 128gb Samsung 840 Pro Monitor Asus pb278q Case 800d Cooler H100i Audio Interface Mbox mini Monitors JBL LSR305's

Right, because most people use unbalanced RCA's with a 1,500 Genelec playback system. 

Or because its an audio interface for playback with powered speakers and it cost $150 when if anything the same job can be don't for $30. 

the 8020 are a kind of take it/leave it deal,  They aren't exactly high end audio and most people hold them in the same light as the ns10's.  like a datum for the average sound system.  They are good, but I definitely wouldn't be recommending spending too much on an interface for them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm using a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus with my 8020B's, connected to my onboard audio via optical. It offers balanced XLR output for the speakers and a decent headphone amp. Though at about 400€ it's probably more than what the OP is willing to spend.

Here's a good review of the DacMagic Plus -> http://kenrockwell.com/audio/cambridge/dacmagic-plus.htm