Video editing machine - is it worth the extra cost?

Hi everybody! I'm new to this forum, so I hope i picked the right area for this topic.

I'm currently planning the build of a video editing pc for a friend (who will use it professionally) and I'm not exactly sure about which CPU to get. The options I had in mind where

• i7 4790K 4x 4.00GHz  8MB with a z97 motherboard, or
  • i7 4930K 6x 3.40GHz 12MB with a x79 motherboard.

I think the second choice is obviously better, not only because of the CPU, but also with its quadchannel RAM support etc. But my freind recently quit his job and is now self-employed in his own small business, so pricing is an issue. with the boards I choose the difference is about 355€ (US$ 480, CA$ 515) at a full build price of about 1800€ (US$ 2434, CA$ 2614) including the more expensive option. So switching to the quadcore would bring significant savings.

Now I wanted to ask you: is the difference in performance of those options worth that amount of money? And - of course - why?

Thanks in advance!

CPU: i5-4670K | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Gaming G1 | MOBO: Gigabyte Z87X-D3H 

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | RAM: Cruxial Ballistix Sport 2x 4GB
PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 CM 630W | Case: Cooltek antiphon | Cooling: CM Nepton 120XL

depends on the type of stuff you will be throwing at the system but one of the big things about x79 is more ram.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

The difference is noticable, but if money is short... It depends, if he can give the extra money without having problems then go for it, if he'd rather keep his money and have something that might be slower then go for the 4790k.

i'm a potato

The OC'd 4790k is not that bad compared to the 2011 option. The 4930k is better, but if money is tight go with the 1150 option, the performance difference is not that huge.

What's your complete part list? You can also shave more money from the case, motherboard and GPU, if it's a workstation system you don't need AiOs, fancy cases and high end mobos.

The difference is exceptionally noticeable depending on what exact tasks are being undertaken. Assuming from what you mentioned the use would be for it might be wise to go with the cheaper option especially  due to the financial constraint. 

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

The pc will mainly be used for FullHD video editing with Adobe Premiere and it should be as future upgradable as possible. 

if it's a workstation system you don't need AiOs, fancy cases and high end mobos.

why don't I need a high end mobo? Or do you mean by workstation something like an office pc? why would i choose such hardware for that if I could get a good enough pc for the price difference alone?

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | RAM: Cruxial Ballistix Sport 2x 4GB
PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 CM 630W | Case: Cooltek antiphon | Cooling: CM Nepton 120XL

why don't I need a high end mobo? Or do you mean by workstation something like an office pc? why would i choose such hardware for that if I could get a good enough pc for the price difference alone?

Office PC =/= Workstation

Why would you need a high end motherboard? You are not making Crazy OCs, you look for a good stable overclock if you want, but you don't go all nuts on it. the high end audio choices are not important, if you need to edit with audio you will use proper professional equipment. The color scheme, dark PCB and gaming features don't contribute to the work. 

Don't be afraid to cut budget on looks and premium quality, if that means you can get a better CPU, then do it.

but doesn't higher quality also mean more durability, stability and performance?