Are the 780/290 Becoming a Standard?

I agree mostly. At 1440p you will be fine most of the time, but some games like Crysis 3 have used it up. Of course you would need at least 2 cards to run it that high, so if upgrading in the future to SLI or i personally would get a 6GB model.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

Not even 780Ti in truth is properly good enough for maxing several games in production right now, so there is nothing a 780 will do that a 760 won't (barring driving 1440p) until they both suddenly become outdated about 2 years from now.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

On the high end yes, but i'm sure there are still more mid range cards selling than high end ones.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

On the high end yes, but i'm sure there are still more mid range cards selling than high end ones.

That's why the title says "becoming a standard" not ARE a standard. 

That's why the title says "becoming a standard" not ARE a standard. 

Yes, and that's why I specified only on the high end, because I don't think there will be a time when high end cards will outsell midrange cards.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

My honest opinion is that the 760 and R9 280 are standard about now xD the 290/290x being standardish is more a side-effect of the mining craze. When the old Mining gpus are off the market it'll probably leave behind mostly 280s 270x's and 760s on the market... 

Side note: I find it funny no one compared those two cards inspite of the fact the 280s cheaper than the 760 ... And performs slightly better

I'd say a GTX760/ R9 270x is more of a standart for the average gamer and even those have quite a bit of headroom for most of the games out there.

I disagree, I'd say the 280X/770 is a bit more of a standard for normal gamers. Though the 270X and 760 are still very popular cards. 

I also wouldn't say "certainly not." As the 290 and 780 are stupidly popular and selling VERY well. 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I plan on selling my current desktop to a friend around Christmas and starting from scratch with a fresh build on a higher budget. Atm an R9 290 is in my sights for it because it's neck-and-neck with a 780 for a bit less money. Unfortunately the price difference between the 2 here in Blighty is much less than what it is across the pond in 'murica (780 around £360, R9 290 around £300), but it's still more than enough to win me over to the red team. I'd only call it standard amongst the people who want to be maxing absolutely everything at 1080p, and most stuff at 1440p.

Hopefully by Christmas we'll have seen the release of the GTX 800s + whatever it AMD has up their sleeve, so the prices might drop even more. :3

i have a 290 unlocked to a 290x and am happy with it, though i bought it new. (though i actually did spend the $500 on it when it came out.... and yet it is a reference leaf blower. xD

Main rig

CPU: I7 4820K @4.8GHz || Cooler: Corsair H100 || Display: LG 34UM95 || MOBO: Asus Sabertooth x79 || RAM: AMD 1600MHz 2x 4GB || GPU: Two AMD R9 290's @1050MHz core 1400MHz Memory || Case: Cooler master HAF 922 || SSD: Samsung 830 128GB and PNY XLR8 120GB SSD in raid 0 || HDD: 2x Seagate barracuda 1.5TB
Guest rig
CPU: I5 3330S || MOBO: ECS H61H2-I5 || Ram: 2x 2GB Samsung 1333MHz || GPU: Radeon HD 6970 || PSU: Antec Earth-watts 750watt
HTPC
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720BE unlocked 4th core @3.7GHz || GPU: low profile Geforce 9500GT || random 2x 2GB ddr2 ram (don't feel like looking) || Cooler: some rosewill cooler

I would say is the bang for the buck high end standard. The 290 performs really well for less money, the 780 also dropped it price.

It's for smart people with a good budget that doesn't want to shell out tons of money and still get very good performance in the high end. I see that the 290 is very recommended in this forum as a cheap high-end solution.

I`d say GTX780 6GB version is the dream card along with Asus VS-247H-P

The ASUS VG monitor is better. :P 

I plan on selling my current desktop to a friend around Christmas and starting from scratch with a fresh build on a higher budget. Atm an R9 290 is in my sights for it because it's neck-and-neck with a 780 for a bit less money. Unfortunately the price difference between the 2 here in Blighty is much less than what it is across the pond in 'murica (780 around £360, R9 290 around £300), but it's still more than enough to win me over to the red team. I'd only call it standard amongst the people who want to be maxing absolutely everything at 1080p, and most stuff at 1440p.

Hopefully by Christmas we'll have seen the release of the GTX 800s + whatever it AMD has up their sleeve, so the prices might drop even more. :3

Apparently the GTX 870 and 880 will release October/November of this year?

I would say is the bang for the buck high end standard. The 290 performs really well for less money, the 780 also dropped it price.

It's for smart people with a good budget that doesn't want to shell out tons of money and still get very good performance in the high end. I see that the 290 is very recommended in this forum as a cheap high-end solution.

Yeah, but I never have tried Nvidia and want to give em' a shot, so I'm going to go Nvidia next build. :P 

760 is very popular according to steam

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

Yeah, but I never have tried Nvidia and want to give em' a shot, so I'm going to go Nvidia next build. :P

It's not better or worse than AMD though movies do look better on "Graphics By AMD Readeon"

"Standard" for enthusiast, maybe, but not for casual gamers world wide... $400 is a TON of money

Not the standard at all. 780 or 290 are beast cards. Majority of gamers dont own either of those.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

The 660/270X are the current standard but will probably move up to 770/280X in the next few months.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Certainly not. Even Linus admits he wouldn't go that high if he didn't do it professionally. 

This class of Hardware is for rich people/performance enthusiasts/professionals

I'd say a GTX760/ R9 270x is more of a standart for the average gamer and even those have quite a bit of headroom for most of the games out there.

Yeah, most PC gamers (not so much hardware enthusiasts) will buy something like that as for 1080p, it is definitely enough.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Not the standard at all. 780 or 290 are beast cards. Majority of gamers dont own either of those.

Yeah you're right. The standard really is the PS4 and XBox One for most gamers (sorry but true), then there are the PC gamers that play on hardware that was not made for gaming at all, but handles it just fine (laptop with Intel HD or APU or lower end discrete GPUs). Actually many people play on these systems and tbh they work for it just fine if you can accept lower settings. Lastly, you have your people that are somewhat tech knowledgeable, built their own system/had it built with all the parts configured themselves. They usually have something with a 760 class card in it since it will hande 1080p no problem (which is still the standard).

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz