3D printed PCBs

ise

Theres a new kickstarter campaign to create a PCB prototyper out of a 3d printer...

The team at BotFactory have launched a Kickstarter campaign for their prize endeavor, Squink, to bring it to life. The team behind Squink started out with the question, what if making circuit boards were easy? This is a personal electronic circuit factory, and "its purpose is to make circuit prototyping as easy and seamless as possible."

Original article: http://phys.org/news/2014-07-squink-personal-factory-aims-circuit.html

Kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/botfactory/squink-the-personal-electronic-circuit-factory

Personally I'd love one these, not only that, but I can't wait for this technology to become as mainstream as colour printers...

EDIT: yes i realise the mistake in the title, 3d printed printed circuit boards... :D

theres no way you will be able to use that to make a mobo for a computer though 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

PCBs are already printed, it's actually in the name. Making simple PCBs or using a starter electronics kit is not that expensive either. Am I missing something very obvious here?

nohrellas, yeh i realised that post title is a bit stupid, like saying PIN number... :D. Not talking making ur own computer components to rival nvidia/asus here... But I've made a lil CPU before using a breadboard and transistors... If you're into prototyping and messing around... think new raspberry pi distribution methods?

PCBs are already printed, it's actually in the name. Making simple PCBs or using a starter electronics kit is not that expensive either. Am I missing something very obvious here?

it s a printer with conductive ink so you can do some pcbs yourself.

this isn t supposed to replace a breadboard but once the design is set, it can shrink down the connections (breadboards are big and can be a mess).

moving to a pcb reduces the variables when debugging as there will be less contact issues and such.

this is in no way trying to print gpus/mobo, (idk where some guys got that) it s for diy robots and such.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

nohrellas, yeh i realised that post title is a bit stupid, like saying PIN number... :D. Not talking making ur own computer components to rival nvidia/asus here... But I've made a lil CPU before using a breadboard and transistors... If you're into prototyping and messing around... think new raspberry pi distribution methods?

Yes, but I don't see a huge benefit over traditional circuit boards. If you really need an extremely small PCB for a hobby project then there are companies that will print your designed PCB and send it to you, it's actually really cheap.

u always use a 3rd party to print for u? Same reasons... to bring it in home... make a pcb in half hour and u dnt have a load of acid left over... Lets say both myself and a friend have one, and we like to send each other our designs, we could collaborate and test digitally now... I can see benefits... You're right tho, if you're determined enough nothing to stop you doing it already... Just this makes it about 100 times easier imo :D

u always use a 3rd party to print for u? Same reasons... to bring it in home... make a pcb in half hour and u dnt have a load of acid left over... Lets say both myself and a friend have one, and we like to send each other our designs, we could collaborate and test digitally now... I can see benefits... You're right tho, if you're determined enough nothing to stop you doing it already... Just this makes it about 100 times easier imo :D

it s a printer with conductive ink so you can do some pcbs yourself.

this isn t supposed to replace a breadboard but once the design is set, it can shrink down the connections (breadboards are big and can be a mess).

moving to a pcb reduces the variables when debugging as there will be less contact issues and such.

this is in no way trying to print gpus/mobo, (idk where some guys got that) it s for diy robots and such.

I just think that it's too expensive for what it is. 3000 USD is too much when you can order your exact design so easily. I'm sure many DIY guys would probably want something like this, but those people usually don't have to produce them all the time and they can afford to wait a day or two since it's just a hobby anyway. When you've spent weeks or months on your project and it finally comes down to getting the electronics 100% done then it doesn't make a huge difference.

Making circuit boards the traditional way is messy and a pain in the arse with acid, negatives or transfer paper etc.  This way you just print it, drill it, done.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.