Verizon makes FIOS service symmetrical

TopWargamer

https://www.verizon.com/home/shop/shopping.htm

So me, @GzeroD, and @Kayn found out tonight that since we're all on Verizon Fios, we get a free bandwidth upgrade.They're now matching upload speeds with download speeds. So for example, the previous 75/35 plan is now 75/75.

I don't think it costs anymore than before, but somebody else is saying that it's $5 more a month than before. I honestly don't remember, but either way, same cost or $5 more a month, still worth it.

Free upgrade here.

So don't forget to call up Verizon and get your bandwidth upgrade!

Thank you to @GzeroD for screencapping his conversation with a Verizon rep. 

akmYs.png

EDIT: The update went live for GzeroD already. Here's his new speeds:

aknHg.jpg

COMIC SANS

2-5 days to become active! I AM OUTRAGED!

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

2-5 days to become active! I AM OUTRAGED!

But it'll all be worth it, cause free bandwidth upgrade.

:D

fwTTZt4.giffwTTZt4.gif

fwTTZt4.giffwTTZt4.gif

COMIC SANS

Never mind

Before 3637676424.png

After 3637684865.png

All is well.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

I can just feel my wallet emptying.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 MB: MSI Z77A-GD55  CPU: i5 3330 OCd to 3.4Ghz CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 2x8GB @ 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming PSU: Seasonic M12II 650W HDD: Two Seagate Barracuda 2TB @ 7200 RPM SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

8b976ab336aa8448f0d6ebdf2a0b1ee6.jpg

As reported by Broadband DSL Reorts

Verizon's shaking things up by making all of the company's FiOS broadband tiers symmetrical, bringing upstream speeds in line with downstream offerings. When Verizon FiOS originally came out the company's fiber-based offering was the cream of the crop, though Verizon has dulled their market-leading edge in recent years with a seemingly endless series of rate hikes and annoying fees. Now users in our forums not Verizon's shaking things up by boosting upstream speeds so that all tiers offer symmetrical bandwidth.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-Makes-All-FiOS-Tiers-Symmetrical-129769

and an quick analasis by the consumerist:

FiOS users who get annoyed over how long it takes to upload your stuff to YouTube, rejoice! Verizon announced today that they’re upping their upload speeds to match their download speeds. It’ll take a few months, but eventually subscribers will be able to put stuff on the internet at the same speed they pull stuff down from the internet.

In their press release Verizon explained their reasoning as forward-looking. The company expects the amount of data uploaded through FiOS connections to more than double in the next two years. Their subscribers spend a lot of time online and move a lot of data, Verizon says, and those trends just keep growing. Consumers keep uploading more data — video especially — and so their internet connections need to be able to support doing that well.

http://consumerist.com/2014/07/21/fios-goes-symmetrical-verizon-to-offer-same-upload-download-speeds/

Personally, I am looking forward to this. I have Verizon's 50/25 package, which will now be 50/50. Slowly the internet market is becoming more competitive. Speculation has suggested that this may be Verizon's rival to Time Warner Cable's MAXX service. I welcome this change as progress towards the future of Internet connectivity. By allowing a more robust framework for consumers to rely upon. Maybe Cisco's "Internet of everything" is becoming a reality, more and more devices are gobbling up bandwidth, even in the residential sector. Although speeds aren't up there with Google Fiber, I can only hope that top tier speeds will slowly decrease in price, and are made more affordable as internet connectivity technology advances.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

prices are still terrible though

Praise Duarte!

re toast. I believe @TopWargamer posted this yesterday. Will find link ASAP

I can't find the link. But I KNOW that I saw it somewhere!

It isn't in the news section, then it is fair game...

prices are still terrible though

Actually, I get 50/50 for $39 a month. Which is way better in price to performance ratio then what Time Warner Cable offers for $35 a month and only 15/1.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Woo, I have their 75/35 plan right now, can get 75/75 now.

Main Rig: Cpu: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4.60Ghz 1.2V | Motherboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA | RAM: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133Mhz | GPU: Powercolor RADEON RX6900XT Liquid Devil  | Case: XFORMA MBX MKII | Storage: Samsung 840 256GB/Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | PSU: Corsair Hx850i | Cooling: Custom loop with gentle typhoons | 

re toast. I believe @TopWargamer posted this yesterday. Will find link ASAP

I can't find the link. But I KNOW that I saw it somewhere!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/184345-psa-for-all-verizon-fios-customers-they-upped-our-bandwidth-at-little-to-no-extra-cost/

found it for you

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Woo, I have their 75/35 plan right now, can get 75/75 now.

The articles state that the rollout will happen gradually over the next few months. Or you can try and reset your router and see if they push the updated package to you.

Not in the same sub forum section, therefore not a repost.

Well, it's still a repost. However yes, yours is in the correct section. 

The section is irrelevant, the content makes it a repost.

Don't be stupid

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Oh look, a merge.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

It isn't in the news section, then it is fair game...

Actually, I get 50/50 for $39 a month. Which is way better in price to performance ratio then what Time Warner Cable offers for $35 a month and only 15/1.

are you still within the first year? also, why sign into a contract. seriously?

twc is no angel, but at least they're contract free. and i get 50/5 for 35 bucks a month. they recently upgraded the new york city area. i'm sure in other places twc's pricing and plans are pretty bad.

Praise Duarte!

are you still within the first year? also, why sign into a contract. seriously?

twc is no angel, but at least they're contract free. and i get 50/5 for 35 bucks a month. they recently upgraded the new york city area. i'm sure in other places twc's pricing and plans are pretty bad.

I'm actually not on contract. You can call their service line and sweet talk them if done right. And because I am located in a competitive market they offered the contract price but with no contract.

Oh look, a merge.

Thanks for the thread merge. But given that this is in the news section, shouldn't the post with relevant news sources be considered OP? Rather than @TopWargamer's post which isn't based on a factual article, but rather personal experience?

PS:

TopWargamer's post is not based off a "news" source. No article is specifically referenced, only two verizon links pointing to what is essentially marketing material.

PPS: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-read-before-posting-in-this-section/ I don't see how Top's posts meets req 1

PPPS: I do think my post is more newsworthy, even if it is slightly selfish, I at least use reference articles from trusted sources, not screencaps of customer support chat.

I'm actually not on contract. You can call their service line and sweet talk them if done right. And because I am located in a competitive market they offered the contract price but with no contract.

Thanks for the thread merge. But given that this is in the news section, shouldn't the post with relevant news sources be considered OP? Rather than @TopWargamer's post which isn't based on a factual article, but rather personal experience?

No.

Top's has relevant factual information and is news... About tech

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

PPPS: I do think my post is more newsworthy, even if it is slightly selfish, I at least use reference articles from trusted sources, not screencaps of customer support chat.

TIL: That Verizon support was a less trusted source about Verizon services than DSL Reports.