VAULT BOY - A Fallout inspired build (modded Bitfenix Prodigy)

ciobanulx

UPDATE

Just a quick update on the build guys :)

As some of you are aware the build has won the MOTM amateur competition for September 2014 on OCN

Thanks a lot for everyone who went over to OCN and voted for my build, really appreciate it and it's such an honor to win :D

For even more great news, I'm happy to say that the build has gotten some more features on Facebook, this time on ASUS REPUBLIC OF GAMERS as well as on Icemodz :D

Also it's currently coming in third for MOTM on Bit-Tech :)

As for the update on the build:

I dialed down the CPU overclock to 4.3GHz and managed to get it stable at 1.26v. This time the temps only reached 85C max no matter what I throw at it, same ambient temp between 28 and 30 celcius. All the benchmark scores remained within margin of error meaning that the 0.1GHz doesn't impact performance at all for what I'm going to be using it for which is games and movies :)

Last night I managed to catch a break from my uni work and played Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor for a few hours and it's been great. Rock solid 60fps cap with everything maxed out at 1080p including ultra textures that states it required 6GB vram but obviously not the case :)

I also pre-ordered an EVGA GTX 970 reference from Amazon that ships to Australia. Pre-ordered as there are none in stock at the moment.

I want to get the reference EVGA card as it's confirmed by EK to work with the 670 waterblock and given that I have 3 of them, 2 currently on my 670s in my other build and one just lying around, going for 970 is probably the best option for me over the 980.

The plan is that in December when I'm done with uni, the Vault Boy will be getting a 970 upgrade with the EK 670 waterblock CSQ nickel plexi and the R9 290 along with another R9 290 will be going in my other build that is currently running 670s in SLI. I'm also planning to do some mods on my other build including major painting for the case and other mods. I have other builds lined up after that as well :D

Stay tuned for that guys. Until then I will be very busy with uni given that finals are coming up in a month and still some assignments to finish. I might also enjoy some games on the Vault Boy in my free time :P

Again thanks a lot for all the love received on the build.

Cheers,

Alex

SIMPLE MODZ

VAULT BOY - A Fallout inspired build  (Featured Build - December 2014) - GREEN MOLECULE - TOXIC CHROME - PARVUM FORMULA

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

There's still one week left to cast your votes for the September MOTM contest on the Bit-Tech forum.

Please check out the thread and show some love for my build biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Alex

SIMPLE MODZ

VAULT BOY - A Fallout inspired build  (Featured Build - December 2014) - GREEN MOLECULE - TOXIC CHROME - PARVUM FORMULA

How did I miss this thread, by far the best Prodigy build I've even seen.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Hey guys!

Last day to vote for Bit-Tech Mod of the Month :P. Head on over and show some love for my build :D

Also check out my build on the ASUS ROG Nordic and PC Case Gear Facebook pages :D

SIMPLE MODZ

I don't usually sign up on a forum just to give props to a modder, but holy crap dude very impressive. If I was loaded there is no other person I'd rather have build a rig for me. If ever you make tutorials/youtube vids let me know. This is one of the nicest mods I've ever seen period. I've seen case mods that used a lot more techniques and detail but this one is just plain amazing. You have a good knack for design, it's like a piece of art. I also really liked the coolant color you have. It looks epic.

I'm a guy new to modding who is looking to get into it and I have to say seeing stuff like this is inspirational. I already have a few ideas but seeing all the different things you did, and imo it's not overkill it's exactly how it should be. Even if you aren't a FO nerd its a very appealing case and I think if you sold just the case and psu you could probably get a good amount of cash, but I wouldn't wanna sell the thing if I made it. I hope it wasn't for a client haha, would be hard to let go of it.

I don't usually sign up on a forum just to give props to a modder, but holy crap dude very impressive. If I was loaded there is no other person I'd rather have build a rig for me. If ever you make tutorials/youtube vids let me know. This is one of the nicest mods I've ever seen period. I've seen case mods that used a lot more techniques and detail but this one is just plain amazing. You have a good knack for design, it's like a piece of art. I also really liked the coolant color you have. It looks epic.

I'm a guy new to modding who is looking to get into it and I have to say seeing stuff like this is inspirational. I already have a few ideas but seeing all the different things you did, and imo it's not overkill it's exactly how it should be. Even if you aren't a FO nerd its a very appealing case and I think if you sold just the case and psu you could probably get a good amount of cash, but I wouldn't wanna sell the thing if I made it. I hope it wasn't for a client haha, would be hard to let go of it.

Wow thanks a lot for the kind words man, I really appreciate it!!! :D :D :D

Yea tutorials/youtube vids are definitely in my mind for the future, as I get more confident and also learn more about modding and PCs in general. It would also be quite difficult to do atm in my current living situation :)

I'm going to be using this build as my HTPC for a long while probably, upgrading it as I go. It's currently in my bedroom but it will definitely be showcased in my living room when I change my living situation.

If you ever need help with any modding/pc related stuff feel free to send me a PM :P

Also, welcome to the forum!!! :D

Alex

SIMPLE MODZ

Hey guys!

The Vault Boy is up for Featured Build Logs! If you like my build and enjoyed the build log please head on over to the voting thread and show some love, it would be much appreciated :D

At the moment I'm studying for my final exams, I will be done in about 2 weeks and I will be graduating from my degree in mid December :D.

When the craziness of final exams settles, I will be changing the GPU in the Vault Boy along with some other small modifications and starting my next project/s :D

Stay tuned for that :P

Cheers, Alex

SIMPLE MODZ

UPDATE

Hey guys. I finished this project about a month ago and I already have an upgrade lined up for it :D.

Here's the new GPU that will be going into it. The only reason why I'm changing it to this 780 is so that I can use the R9 290 along with another one I have in CrossFire in another project which I will be starting soon :D. This 780 was a steal on Amazon for $299 so I made sure to grab it quick. I initially wanted to get a 970 or 980 but this seemed really cheap and now I don't need to purchase a separate waterblock. And don't worry, this card isn't going in the Vault Boy straight like this, it would ruin the theme so I have some mods planned for it :D. I will get into it once I'm done with finals at uni :)

6Dk50mM.jpg

VHEvOAV.jpg

qu5cUZ0.jpg

gREZPoB.jpg

aaSFfVG.jpg

GmVoH6V.jpg

Also there is about a day left on voting for Featured Builds. Head on over and show some love for the Vault Boy :D

SIMPLE MODZ

UPDATE

-snip-

This 780 was a steal on Amazon for $299 so I made sure to grab it quick.

-snip-

Holy cow thats a bargain!

Nice update though, still lookin forward to what you will do with it.

Is the upcoming project will be the same scale (watercooling and other bling bling) or something more basic? Or even more extreme?

Oh yes! Please make the black parts blue and the red parts yellow, that would be frickin amazing!

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Holy cow thats a bargain!

Nice update though, still lookin forward to what you will do with it.

Is the upcoming project will be the same scale (watercooling and other bling bling) or something more basic? Or even more extreme?

Yup that's what I though as well :P. Thanks, the next project should be on the same scale as this. It's just an update and revamp of my other system in my sig :)

Oh yes! Please make the black parts blue and the red parts yellow, that would be frickin amazing!

Yea that's the plan :P  :D

SIMPLE MODZ

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

Sorry I've been absent for some time, been quite busy these past few weeks, graduating university and then working pretty much full time as well as a little getaway with my partner and the family for a few days :P

I just wanna say thanks to all those that voted for my build in the Featured Build Logs, really appreciate it, my build came second by just 3 votes :D.

I was really happy to see it on the WAN Show as well as seeing Linus's and Luke's reactions to it (even though they got the name wrong in the slides :(, however Linus did say it right at first :)). To those that haven't seen it and would like to, here is a link to the archive on YouTube, it starts at around 1:17:00

Onto the build now, there will be just one more small update to the build upcoming once I manage to get an order through PerformancePCs and then till it arrives, this should happen before Christmas I hope. Once that is done I will be starting my next project. I decided to scrap the GTX 780 plan and I will keep the R9 290 as I'm pretty impressed with it's performance, the GTX 780 will be used in another system.

If you're not yet sick of seeing this build :P, stay tuned for the next and hopefully final update to this log  :) 

Cheers,

Alex

SIMPLE MODZ

• 2 weeks later...

I received the SP120s for coming 3rd in the September MOTM over on Bit-Tech.

Thanks a lot Bit-Tech, Corsair and everyone that voted for my build. They will be put to good use in a future build :D

whrRadZ.jpg

SIMPLE MODZ

UPDATE

I managed to fight through the heat here on the Gold Coast today and get some work done.

I got some new pump casings for the two DDC pumps in the system in order to convert them to normal size, as you can see in the pics with the build, the pumps I have are taller than your normal DDCs (Apple G4 pumps). I'm changing the casings as well as using some EK anti vibration mounting in order to try and reduce the vibration noise the two pumps produce. Ever since I finished the build, the pump noise has been the only thing that bothered me, that and not being able to move it quite easily, which is why I'm going to mount two handles on the top :D. Hopefully these will solve the small problems and I will be fully satisfied with the build.

ymzNXJS.jpg

kgIGtER.jpg

The other thing you may notice in the pics is the green side panel which I've been working on for the past week. That is for my next project :P. I'm gonna call it Green Molecule. The build log will be starting soon, just after I finish these changes on the Vault Boy :). Let me know what you guys think of the side panel, fully hand crafted by me with a dremel rotary and a jig saw as well as lots of filing :D. Had to do the paint twice as a storm managed to ruin the finish on it yesterday as it was drying, I swear it came out of nowhere, still not perfect but it's the best I could do :(

Stay tuned,

Alex

SIMPLE MODZ

Ooohh i like that side panel.

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Ooohh i like that side panel.

im not a big fan of the blue in the build however nice build any way

Thanks guys !!!

New build log is up GREEN MOLECULE

Check it out :D

SIMPLE MODZ