Trouble Overclocking G3258

Hey guys I'm having some trouble overclocking my Pentium. I am using a gigabyte z97mx-gaming 5 motherboard with the latest bios. The change in CPU core voltage seems to have taken effect but my multiplier isn't going above 32. This is my first time overclocking so I'm kinda stuck. 

CPUzed.png

Here is my CPU-Z screenshot while running prime-95. You can see the core voltage has gone up from the stock settings and by Multiplier it says 8-43 instead of 8-32 but it never goes above 32.

Help

kinda small picture

any larger one?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

that's really odd. i just hit the + on the muti and it overclocked mine and didn't even touch the vcore.....

are you doing it with software or in the bios?

that's really odd. i just hit the + on the muti and it overclocked mine and didn't even touch the vcore.....

are you doing it with software or in the bios?

Within the Bios. Ive also tried the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility but that didn't work.

kinda small picture

any larger one?

Sorry but that's as big as CPU-Z gets.

Sorry but that's as big as CPU-Z gets.

ok what is your RAM speed at the time?

temp readings?

can you reset the voltage and try increasing the multiplier?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

ok what is your RAM speed at the time?

temp readings?

can you reset the voltage and try increasing the multiplier?

DRAM Frequency: 666.5MHz

Temp: 55c (was at 48 before changes)

The Multiplier is set at 43 in the bios. I'll post bios pics in a second. 

DRAM Frequency: 666.5MHz

Temp: 55c (was at 48 before changes)

The Multiplier is set at 43 in the bios. I'll post bios pics in a second. 

try seting it to 38 and see what happens

I'm sitting at 4.2 without touching vcore

if it shows it's overclocked in the bios. something not reading it in cpuz then

try real temp or windows info and see if it shows the overclock there

Nothing in windows shows it. Ive also tried Speccy and Intel ETU and they don't show it either.

The strangest thing is that CPUZ shows that the multiplier can go up to 43 but it never goes above 32.

After changing the voltage back down to 1.1 and the multiplier to 38 CPUZ noted the changes but multiplier still never goes above 32.

The strangest thing is that CPUZ shows that the multiplier can go up to 43 but it never goes above 32.

After changing the voltage back down to 1.1 and the multiplier to 38 CPUZ noted the changes but multiplier still never goes above 32.

turn off turbo stuff. no reason that should be set to 43 then restart and see what happens

turn off turbo stuff. no reason that should be set to 43 then restart and see what happens

No changes

I'm going to go to bed. Hopefully we can figure this out tomorrow. Ive been working on this for 4 hours.

No changes

I have no idea then with gigbyte board.

yea it pretty weird

I will say revert all settings and clock back to stock and we will take it slowly 

Is your BIOS up to date? I ran into some weird OCing usssues on my last build, and when I updated my BIOS it fixed all my problems.

Case: NZXT H440 | CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5 GHz | GPU: MSI 970, Kraken G10 | Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Cooler: H100i | PSU: Corsair AX750 w/ Sleeved Cables | Display: 3xBenQ RL2455M | Fans: 5xNoctua NF-F12, 1xBitFenix Spectre |

Is your BIOS up to date? I ran into some weird OCing usssues on my last build, and when I updated my BIOS it fixed all my problems.

well he already on the latest BIOS

You have some auto overclocking settings set to auto, that might be your problem.

yea it pretty weird

I will say revert all settings and clock back to stock and we will take it slowly 

I have no idea then with gigbyte board.

You have some auto overclocking settings set to auto, that might be your problem.

Hey guys I figured it out (not really). I reverted all settings back to default like dragoon said. I set CPU Voltage to auto and my multiplier to 38. I then loaded XMP profile 1 and it worked for a single benchmark. I ran the Intel XTU benchmark and the CPU ramped all the way up to 3.8Ghz. It went through the entire benchmark fine and only hit 51C (I'm on a Hyper 212+). I then ran the benchmark again and it would only go to 3.2.

My Ram freguency is now 799mhz.

Hey guys I figured it out (not really). I reverted all settings back to default like dragoon said. I set CPU Voltage to auto and my multiplier to 38. I then loaded XMP profile 1 and it worked for a single benchmark. I ran the Intel XTU benchmark and the CPU ramped all the way up to 3.8Ghz. It went through the entire benchmark fine and only hit 51C (I'm on a Hyper 212+). I then ran the benchmark again and it would only go to 3.2.

just slowly push the mutiplier to 4.0 then 4.1 then 4.2. that's the max i would go on stock volage. I blue screen@4.4 if i don't touch the volage.

I'm going to bed tho. I need sleep

XMP should always be on, the reason for the higher clockspeeds are Intel Turbo Boost, and this might also be your downfall.

Go look up an overclocking tutorial on intel chips, you have a lot of settings set to on that shouldn't be.

In the Intel Turbo Boost Technology section of your bios there is a problem.  You have this set to AUTO and then for the Turbo Ratio you are requesting 43 - 43 but it looks like you are only getting 32 - 32.  This setting is what controls the maximum speed of your CPU.  Instead of the AUTO setting for Turbo Boost, try using an Enable or On setting if that is available.  The 2 little values that are showing 32 need to show the full 43 turbo boost multiplier.

A lot of users do not understand how Intel CPUs work because some motherboard manufacturers provide bios options that are misleading.  The default maximum multiplier for a Pentium G3258 is 32.  To go beyond this value, Intel Turbo Boost must be enabled within the processor.  Some motherboards trick users.  They provide you with multiplier adjustment options and then quietly in the background, depending on what multiplier you choose, they decide whether Turbo Boost needs to be enabled or not.  In your case, to access the 43 multiplier, Turbo Boost definitely needs to be enabled within the processor.

I wrote a program called ThrottleStop that lets you make sure your CPU is being set up correctly and it can correct these sort of problems when it is not setup correctly.  The latest version 7 is still in beta but it has the necessary features to make sure your CPU can run at its full rated speed.  If has been out for a couple of months without any issues.  You can download version 7 from here.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/xrar30

The TRL button gives you access to the Turbo Ratio Limits as well as CPU core voltage adjustment.

http://i.imgur.com/tnGQJaR.png

Version 6 Final is also available from TechPowerUp.  This is a popular program with laptop owners but it also works on Intel's 4th Generation desktop CPUs.

If you need any more help, my email address is in the About box of ThrottleStop which can be found by right mouse clicking on the system tray icon.

In the Intel Turbo Boost Technology section of your bios there is a problem.  You have this set to AUTO and then for the Turbo Ratio you are requesting 43 - 43 but it looks like you are only getting 32 - 32.  This setting is what controls the maximum speed of your CPU.  Instead of the AUTO setting for Turbo Boost, try using an Enable or On setting if that is available.  The 2 little values that are showing 32 need to show the full 43 turbo boost multiplier.

A lot of users do not understand how Intel CPUs work because some motherboard manufacturers provide bios options that are misleading.  The default maximum multiplier for a Pentium G3258 is 32.  To go beyond this value, Intel Turbo Boost must be enabled within the processor.  Some motherboards trick users.  They provide you with multiplier adjustment options and then quietly in the background, depending on what multiplier you choose, they decide whether Turbo Boost needs to be enabled or not.  In your case, to access the 43 multiplier, Turbo Boost definitely needs to be enabled within the processor.

I wrote a program called ThrottleStop that lets you make sure your CPU is being set up correctly and it can correct these sort of problems when it is not setup correctly.  The latest version 7 is still in beta but it has the necessary features to make sure your CPU can run at its full rated speed.  If has been out for a couple of months without any issues.  You can download version 7 from here.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/xrar30

The TRL button gives you access to the Turbo Ratio Limits as well as CPU core voltage adjustment.

http://i.imgur.com/tnGQJaR.png

Version 6 Final is also available from TechPowerUp.  This is a popular program with laptop owners but it also works on Intel's 4th Generation desktop CPUs.

If you need any more help, my email address is in the About box of ThrottleStop which can be found by right mouse clicking on the system tray icon.

I still can't overclock with the bios settings but your software is awesome! It actually works and actually overclocks my chip. Do I have to manually turn the software on every boot or is there a way to have it automatically turn on? I guess it would be hard to turn off it it's causing blue screens which it did when I set my multiplier to 40 and left the voltage at stock. Any other suggestions that will help me get some extra performance?

Thanks a ton.