windforce vs twin frozr vs sapphire cooling in the amd r9 290

Vicente Gomez

Getting an r9 290, but which company should I get it from? Which company has the best cooling system for gpu`s and should I get the oc edition for these graphic cards?

Sapphire Vapor-X or Sapphire Tri-X

Should o get the oc version?

Should o get the oc version?

There's only the OC version...

hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh SWIGGITY SWOOTY I'M COMING FOR THAT BOOTY hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh

huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue LINIXTEKTEPS R DE BES I LUV LINUX huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue

i owned both windforce and twinfrozr, windforce is very loud but temps where pretty good...twinfrozr is VERY quiet and temps are also very good.

i also owned sapphire tech vapor-x it was also awesome but it was old single fan design, but still from the review i think the vapor-x r9 290 is top of the line cooler and tri-x comes right after. avoid asus 290 they are known to have many issues.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Vapor-X > Tri-X > Twin Forzr > Windforce IMO

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Vapor-X > Tri-X > Twin Forzr > Windforce IMO

exactly this in my world as well.

if silent operation is more important than temps op get the twinfrozr its quieter but i would suspect thermals to not be quite as good as a vapor-x or tri-x

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

they are ALL overclocked cards...

But of course they are

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

exactly this in my world as well.

if silent operation is more important than temps op get the twinfrozr its quieter but i would suspect thermals to not be quite as good as a vapor-x or tri-x

I really care about performance. Which card will I get the best performance out of

I really care about performance. Which card will I get the best performance out of

Vapor-X mate

one of the best 290 you can get

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Sapphire>Windforce>Twin Frozr IMO

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

From a performance perspective: brand = brand = brand = brand.

Make your choice on accoustics, temperatures and aesthetics imo.

So? There is no OC version.

Sapphire had cards that specifically said on the box OC Version. Tri-X and Vapor-X are the only R9 290 models from sapphire, they are factory overclocked, but they are not the OC Versions sapphire used to have on previous cards.

From a performance stand point there's no difference between the cards they all perform the same, some have higher stock clock speed (meaning the factory overclock is more aggressive on them) so basically the performance difference comes from overclocking, the better the cooler the better are your chances of reaching higher overclocks, in that regards i would say the vapor-x has the best coolers of all and would probably be able to sustain higher overclocking.

Out of the box performance now, they are all very close, the tri-x is the slowest out of the box being clocked at 1000mhz, then comes the vapor-x at 1030MHZ, then comes both the gigabyte windforce and the MSI twinfrozr clocked at 1040mhz factory.

The difference between a 290 running at 1000mhz (tri-x) and the ones running at 1040mhz (gigabyte and MSI) is negligible we are probably talking only 1 to 4 FPS average...MAX

So basically, as Faa said you should make your choice based on acoustics, temps and aesthetics. In that regard as i mentioned already the TwinFrozr is the quietest card of the bunch due to the fact that the cooler design consist of 2 big fans instead of 3 smaller ones...but in regard to temps (thus allowing potentialy higher overclocks) the two models from sapphire are a tad tiny little tiddly bit better...IMHO nothing noticeable i would pick the twinfrozr OR the cheapest available OR the one you like the look the most and colors match your motherboard. OH and software, when it comes down to software MSI again is king with the little app that come with the card that overclock them with profiles and also you get MSI afterburner, kombustor and all that good stuff.

With MSI gaming app you could simply pick one of those mode at any time and overclocking will get done automatically:

MSI-gaming-app.jpg