Microsoft to merge all sepearte version of Windows into one

GoodBytes

Does this mean everyone will get a basic version and have to buy in store upgrades to turn it into server/pro/enterprise? what im confused.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

It may be good from a coding standpoint. But it will be very difficult to create a UI that will fit all of the different platforms running the os.

What we need to understand is the UI does not need to change. Microsoft can code in all of the existing UI's used today and only execute the one according to that platform. Sort of how Windows 8.1 boots to desktop on desktop computers, but yet boots to the start menu on mobile units. The same concept can be done with desktop environments.

What we need to understand is the UI does not need to change. Microsoft can code in all of the existing UI's used today and only execute the one according to that platform. Sort of how Windows 8.1 boots to desktop on desktop computers, but yet boots to the start menu on mobile units. The same concept can be done with desktop environments.

Fair enough, you have some valid points. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I hope that this means Windows Phone, Windows on tablets, and Windows desktop will be able to communicate and sync better together. If that happens I will be all for it, but what I don't what them to do is just go Hurrdurr let's stick the windows phone ui on every thing hurrdurr. If they don't do that then this could be really good.

"No signature"

There going to mess this up by having a big focus on touch devices and give us a bad experience.

I think they may have learned their lesson with windows 8 or at least I hope......

No... I'm not ready for my thread to die, not yet.... nooooo......

I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

That's the best comment I've seen in this thread,  let's wait and see.  The article wasn't very clear, and I think to be honest the author was trying to draw too many conclusions from throw away comments.

There are too many people who just jump on the hate wagon without actually thinking about what this could mean the end user.  Like windows is going to die or that tablet UI shouldn't be on the desktop :rolleyes:, as it stands they have the benefit of heard immunity, they can experiment quite a bit before they lose market volume.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Has anyone used Windows Server 2012? Having the Windows 8 interface on a server is really annoying.

It takes a little getting used to if you are heavily reliant on GUI. If not, there is powershell. Either way most of the snap-ins are desktop applications and you spend a majority of the time in desktop mode. Navigation is probably the only time you will be interfacing with the W8 style modern UI - if you choose to.

Am I the only one who doesn't get it?

By versions, do they mean WinXP, WinVista, Win7, etc? Or do they mean make 1 OS for every platform? Because if so, this is old news.

thats what i got form it aswell hahah

I kind of like the idea.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

This news a misunderstanding, Satya Nadella actually said that the OS will stay separated for the time being, it's to difficult yet to have one OS for all. What will merge is from a development POV. Universal apps for WP, W8(Modern apps and Desktop apps) and Xbox One.

Here is a quote from the verge's story on it.

"Previously, under the management of Steve Ballmer, Microsoft had multiple teams producing different versions of Windows working separately from each other. "Now," Nadella said, "we have one team with a common architecture." The Microsoft boss didn't clarify exactly how Windows, Windows Phone, and Xbox will be unified, but noted the benefit for users and developers — while Microsoft will still sell different editions of Windows, the new unified platform will allow the creation of universal Windows apps that work across all devices running the OS."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/22/5928219/microsoft-will-merge-windows-into-one-os

If I understand this correctly what he is saying is all versions will use the same windows architecture, but have a different set of paint for each device whether it is a phone, a computer, or a freaking xbox. Plus a dev only has to build 1 app, and he gets it on every single windows platform without porting it. If this is true and they can pull it off. (I'm optimistic) Then this would be a huge deal, and a first on any platform.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4