AMD FX-8320 (OC'ed to 4.0Ghz on A Corsair H100) Unstable Idle Temps?

So i have had no issues with my CPU until recently I had several BSOD issues, changing fan speeds with the Corsair H100's annoying button fixed them... for a while.

Now the BSODs are back. I ran Prime95 for 3 hours and got 60 degrees C max, and no threads threw any errors.

But I do notice that at idle, the CPU temps are all over the place! from 34 degrees to 50 when you start Chrome.

I have had this issue before, and the type of fan i was using solved it... they couldn't hit the necessary RPMs, and would change slowly.

But these are the stock, noisy fans!

I did change some CPU fan control settings. trying to set CPU fan speed (in UEFI terms) or the Corsair's pump speed to 100 percent all the time, and then let the corsair unit dictate temp vs fan speed.

Suddenly this started happening, and even after i set everything back, and lower the clock speed from 4.2 (unstable) to 4.0, its still happening.

Before I changed anything, the cpu would stay around 28 degrees C at idle, and ramp up to 55 degrees C at max load.

I'm thinking of just changing the H100 out for something different, since it somehow will not allow me to overclock stable-ly.

For instance: 4.2 Ghz at full fan speed: unstable, temps will pass 66 degrees and start producing errors.

BUT: at 4.0, it never hits 66, and is fine for hours and hours.

So is it just the H100 that is my problem? Or a setting?

Sorry I cannot give more technical info, but I have no clue how to give you info from my UEFI.

I will join the LTT (un)official(?) TS server if you don't really want to type :P

Thanks for helping if you can!

Car: 1994 Accord LX, 1978 280z

PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DaCoder/saved/#view=zZZhP6

Chrome isn't idle..See if the temps are stable with nothing running and if that seems fine then you are ok

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

Chrome isn't idle..See if the temps are stable with nothing running and if that seems fine then you are ok

Will do, and also: just re-ran prime95, and within 15 seconds of testing, none failed, but the CPU went past 66 degress C, which i dont want.

TBH I shouldnt have that high of temps for that OC, should i?

EDIT: even when Chrome is closed, the Temps are ranging from 30 to 48, sometimes 50 C...

I haven't got issues on overclocking mine to 3.9 at stock voltage and only using a CM Hyper T4(1st time trying to do manual overclock). To a some kind of a checklist to make sure there's no errors or what not.

EDIT: My temp is only around 23-32 on idle ;)

EDIT: Try to reseat the cooler. That always works for me. xD

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

I haven't got issues on overclocking mine to 3.9 at stock voltage and only using a CM Hyper T4(1st time trying to do manual overclock). To a some kind of a checklist to make sure there's no errors or what not.

EDIT: My temp is only around 23-32 on idle ;)

EDIT: Try to reseat the cooler. That always works for me. xD

I reseated the cooler 4 times in a row, thinking that was the issue. I used up all my artic cool thermal paste.

Everytime, I did it as i should have, and got no benefits.

EDIT: (how i do it) I apply a pea sized grain of thermal paste on the center of the CPU, and then press the heatsink on, and clip / screw it down. Also: I tried the x pattern some people liked, but right now I am using the pea sized method.

Will do, and also: just re-ran prime95, and within 15 seconds of testing, none failed, but the CPU went past 66 degress C, which i dont want.

TBH I shouldnt have that high of temps for that OC, should i?

EDIT: even when Chrome is closed, the Temps are ranging from 30 to 48, sometimes 50 C...

Yes the temps for the OC are a bit on the high side but it's up to luck of the draw depending on the chip you bought.

Also since the temps are still all over the place, there is really only one explanation.

Something is using the CPU in the background....

It cant be the thermal paste since it works on full load

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

Yes the temps for the OC are a bit on the high side but it's up to luck of the draw depending on the chip you bought.

Also since the temps are still all over the place, there is really only one explanation.

Something is using the CPU in the background....

It cant be the thermal paste since it works on full load

Here is the thing: it was working perfectly up until I changed some settings for CPU fan speed controller. It messed it up, so i changed it back. Still not working.

Also, on full load the temps are way too high, esp for such a measly OC.

Here is the thing: it was working perfectly up until I changed some settings for CPU fan speed controller. It messed it up, so i changed it back. Still not working.

Then get rid of the fan controller and run the fun of a 7 or 9 volt adaptor so that you have a stable fan speed.

What happened is probably the fan controller bugged and it gives random speed on the fan making the perform worse at times and better at other times

What's your OC settings? (voltage, cpu multiplier, etc.) There's a tread that contains an OC Database. Try picking one setting from all of those and see if it works.

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

What the hell? 66 degrees with a h100? My 212 evo push pull holds 4.5 ghz at ~60-63degrees at 100% load during stress test

Did you even bother to disable turbo?what's your voltage while stress testing/idle?  I bet it's overvolted

I turned off turbo, sorry that i forgot to post that. Voltage is untouched from auto.

well?What's the voltage while stress testing? open cpu-z while running prime 95

1.272 Idle

1.248 Stress

I am on the unofficial teamspeak, if that would make this easier.

1.247,there you have it,that's why it bsods,at stock voltage turbo disabled a 8320 should run at 1.320v . what you're aiming over there 4.2 or so should be somewhere along the lines of 1.380v , I'm pretty sure it's throttling to 2.9 ghz or so that's why it's at 1.248 stress test,lower than on idle,LOL

1.247,there you have it,that's why it bsods,at stock voltage turbo disabled a 8320 should run at 1.320v . what you're aiming over there 4.2 or so should be somewhere along the lines of 1.380v , I'm pretty sure it's throttling to 2.9 ghz or so that's why it's at 1.248 stress test,lower than on idle,LOL

Then why are the temps way too high? :o

What should I set my voltage + core clock to?

Won't increasing the voltage make the temps worse? 

Then why are the temps way too high? :o

What should I set my voltage + core clock to?

Won't increasing the voltage make the temps worse? 

yes it would,I believe the voltages in bios are good,but something throttles the CPU and it STILL overheats,I can't really figure it out without seeing some screenshots from the bios. Or you may just have a really horrible horrible HORRIBLE 8320 chip that can't overclock at all

nevermind you have a gigabyte mobo just like me,go back to bios,reset everything to default. Then go to voltage and make sure everything is on auto for now. Don't bump the voltage,then get back to the advance frequency settings,change the multiplier to 20 or w/e it is for 4.0 ghz,go to advance core features or w/e it's called . disable turbo. leave all the power eff features enabled and enable HPC as well. Save profile  and save and exit. Try now. if it works go back and try 4.2 ghz. It should still handle if you have a decent chip. Mine does 4.4ghz stock. I only need to bump the voltage for 4.5 ghz

Hahaha well there's your problem. xD I think that's even lower than stock voltage(correct me if I'm wrong)

Spoiler

Hahaha well there's your problem. xD I think that's even lower than stock voltage(correct me if I'm wrong)

yes it is by 0.80 v actually,lol,stock it's 1.320v and he has 1.24 during full load,lol.

What are the socket temps under load? If the lack of airflow on the power delivery from using the H100 is causing the mobo to throttle power, that could be your blue screen issue. Some boards throttle above 70c on the socket and that is plenty enough voltage to get up there without good cooling on the VRMs. If you were stable before changing the cooler and now not, I think high socket temps are worth taking a look at.

@Cloud92 , not all chips need near the "stock" voltage at 4ghz. My 8320 is 24hr P95blend stable at 1.20v at 4ghz...I run cpu benchmarks at 1.32v at 4.88ghz. This is with a CM212.

What are the socket temps under load? If the lack of airflow on the power delivery from using the H100 is causing the mobo to throttle power, that could be your blue screen issue. Some boards throttle above 70c on the socket and that is plenty enough voltage to get up there without good cooling on the VRMs. If you were stable before changing the cooler and now not, I think high socket temps are worth taking a look at.

@Cloud92 , not all chips need near the "stock" voltage at 4ghz. My 8320 is 24hr P95blend stable at 1.20v at 4ghz...I run cpu benchmarks at 1.32v at 4.88ghz. This is with a CM212.

Sorry but that can't be true,it's a known fact and no cpu no matter how good it is can run 4.9 ghz without ~1.5v or 1.47 and i'm being very optimistic here,Your readings are either off the chart or the cpu is being throttled and you don't even know. check the freq while stress testing in prime 95. I bet it's throttling like hell . there is no way in hell a 8 core will run at 1.32v 4.9ghz. never EVER. As a matter of fact it shouldn't even be able to boot to the OS without a bsod at 4.9 ghz with 1.320v,no way

I want to see proof of that 1.320v at 4.9ghz and running cpu intensive things at the same time,it's IMPOSSIBLE. Download core temp,open it,keep the window open,cpu z as well and start the test,I doubt it's running 1.320v or anything near to 4.9 ghz,it's probably throttling down to 2.9

What you're saying over here is that your CPU can just jump from 3.5ghz to 4.9 which is almost a 1.5ghz jump without adding more voltage,it's impossible.

Sorry but that can't be true,it's a known fact and no cpu no matter how good it is can run 4.9 ghz without ~1.5v or 1.47 and i'm being very optimistic here,Your readings are either off the chart or the cpu is being throttled and you don't even know. check the freq while stress testing in prime 95. I bet it's throttling like hell . there is no way in hell a 8 core will run at 1.32v 4.9ghz. never EVER. As a matter of fact it shouldn't even be able to boot to the OS without a bsod at 4.9 ghz with 1.320v,no way

I want to see proof of that 1.320v at 4.9ghz and running cpu intensive things at the same time,it's IMPOSSIBLE. Download core temp,open it,keep the window open,cpu z as well and start the test,I doubt it's running 1.320v or anything near to 4.9 ghz,it's probably throttling down to 2.9

I didn't even manage to pass the 4.5 mark but maybe it's because of the auto tune of amd. Btw, can you give some guides on what voltage to clock speed I can use? I managed to go to 3.9(or maybe even 4) with stock voltage.

Spoiler

Oh damn, guess I got lucky:

CBMaxBoth_zps1ba20479.jpg

CB115MaxBoth_zps48547f94.jpg

CB2003MaxBoth_zps4eb0f7e9.jpg

Edit: Take note, even though CPU-Z shows only 1.306 volts, aggressive LLC puts the Vcore at 1.32v under load. I checked Vcore with bios, HWmonitor, Asus monitoring software, Aida64, they all read the same.