Microsoft begins rollout of Windows Phone 8.1 and Lumia Cyan update

Bloodyvalley
Windows Phone 8.1 brings many long needed improvements to the platform, some of the most significant being features like the new Action Center which combines notifications and access to settings and shortcuts in a menu that can be pulled down from the top of the device, and improvements to performance and compatibility in Internet Explorer 11.

[...]

The Lumia Cyan update also brings a couple of improvements to the display settings. The first is support for brightness profiles which was originally introduced on the Lumia 630. This introduces a slider in the brightness section of the settings application for finer control over the desired brightness than the default fixed settings of low, medium, and high. The other new display related feature is what Nokia calls color profiles. In essence these are just settings that allow the user to shift the display toward a brighter more saturated image or toward a cooler less saturated image. Along with the three presets of standard, vivid, and cool, there is also an advanced mode which allows the user to manually change settings labelled color temperature, tint, and color saturation using three sliders.

Source

Is it actually version 8.1 of their mobile operating system or have they just called it that to match Windows OS for PC?

I think I prefer the way that Apple have separated their naming schemes for mobile device and computer operating systems.

huh

windows phone

is that still a thing

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

huh

windows phone

is that still a thing

over at microsoft, that seems to be the same they said about nokia

"Hidden optical drive, crouching PC-builder."

huh

windows phone

is that still a thing

Well for me it is. I like it a lot more than android experience. Especialy since I switched to 8.1 beta on my Lumia 920. Before it was OK but kind of meh, but 8.1 is really a lot better than it used to be.

Honestly, they are really starting to improve windows phone a lot lately, I would happily consider it next time I look for a phone.

Is it actually version 8.1 of their mobile operating system or have they just called it that to match Windows OS for PC?

I think I prefer the way that Apple have separated their naming schemes for mobile device and computer operating systems.

One thing I don't like about this naming schemes is that it makes it too dependant on Windows. What will happen when Windows 9 comes? Will they release Windows Phone 9 or continue with 8.2?

Will they abandon existing Windows Phone 8 phones? They did it with Windows Phone 7. I hope they are not stupid enough to do that mistake again. But then again this is Microsoft...

PS: Change that God awful name for fuck's sake Microsoft. Windows Phone is a stupid name. Just call it Lumia OS, you own the brand now.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Well for me it is. I like it a lot more than android experience. Especialy since I switched to 8.1 beta on my Lumia 920. Before it was OK but kind of meh, but 8.1 is really a lot better than it used to be.

didnt mean to portray it in a bad way

what i meant is that ive never really seen one

it used be that HTC and samsung would have a number of windows phones ready

but right now it seems every body stopped making them and only nokia is

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

didnt mean to portray it in a bad way

what i meant is that ive never really seen one

it used be that HTC and samsung would have a number of windows phones ready

but right now it seems every body stopped making them and only nokia is

Oh, then I am sorry.

Yes I agree. I remember HTC and Samsung saying something about havin WP phones but so far they havent got an update on this matter. I wonder if MS wants to go the same way Apple does and wont allow other manufacturers to use their OS. Which would be really bad for them in my opinion.

Got the updates (8.1 + Cyan) about a week ago. They're not perfect and imo WP is still not able to really compete with Android and iOS but if MS keeps the updates coming (which I doubt) it might be an alternative for more people.

About bloody time. The 925 has had it for a while and I wan't it also.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Got the updates (8.1 + Cyan) about a week ago. They're not perfect and imo WP is still not able to really compete with Android and iOS but if MS keeps the updates coming (which I doubt) it might be an alternative for more people.

I think it's coming along nicely, though it's still hit hard by it's lack of apps. If anything needs improvement it would be the number of apps available.

I think it's coming along nicely, though it's still hit hard by it's lack of apps. If anything needs improvement it would be the number of apps available.

Most apps are actually available, but websites and brands forgot, or receive cash to, not promote it on their websites.

One thing I don't like about this naming schemes is that it makes it too dependant on Windows. What will happen when Windows 9 comes? Will they release Windows Phone 9 or continue with 8.2?

Will they abandon existing Windows Phone 8 phones? They did it with Windows Phone 7. I hope they are not stupid enough to do that mistake again. But then again this is Microsoft...

PS: Change that God awful name for fuck's sake Microsoft. Windows Phone is a stupid name. Just call it Lumia OS, you own the brand now.

They will release a windows phone 9 at the same time, free update, since they said they will and they will not change the OS Core. Windows Phone 7 was a really special kind of hardware, Windows Phones 8 are much more flexibles.

Oh, then I am sorry.

Yes I agree. I remember HTC and Samsung saying something about havin WP phones but so far they havent got an update on this matter. I wonder if MS wants to go the same way Apple does and wont allow other manufacturers to use their OS. Which would be really bad for them in my opinion.

There is actually a few Chinese manufacturers selling Windows Phone, with a OKish success. And now that the licensing for screens inferiors to 8" (I might be wrong)  is free, more manufacturers may launched a device.

Edited by LeTexan

Most apps are actually available, but websites and brands forgot, or receive cash to, not promote it on their websites.

They will release a windows phone 9 at the same time, free update, since they said they will and they will not change the OS Core. Windows Phone 7 was a really special kind of hardware, Windows Phones 8 are much more flexibles.

There is actually a few Chinese manufacturers selling Windows Phone, with a OKish success. And now that the licensing for screens inferiors to 8" (I might be wrong)  is free, more manufacturers may launched a device.

Oh lord the irony at what I bolded from you.

App support sucks because of DirectX. Windows phone exists to promote DirectX and stop OpenGL adoption. We all know why MS got in the phone market. Not saying it isn't a good move by MS's part and that they shouldn't protect their own monopoly, but please....

http://linustechtips.com/main/user/76223-letexan/

^ Who do you think you are kidding here. 10 posts all about MS, and telling people they must upgrade to Win 8 NOW, and that "power users" are "stupid", and also promoting Windows phones. My god Microsoft.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/anonymous-comments-on-lumia-800-review-traced-back-to-nokia-and-microsoft-ip-addresses/17402

LOL at accusing the other phones of paying off websites when MS pulls this crap and has users like you trolling forums. In before the other MS slappies on this forum upvote you and attack me, when you are accusing the other phone developers of the kind of shady things that MS is king at. Seriously how stupid do you think people are Microsoft? All you are doing is making the tech community and anyone with a clue hate you even more.

Pick a MS product and you will find MS astroturfing the hell out of it and paying off bloggers and posting idiocy like the post you made on forums.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2365060/microsoft-caught-astroturfing-bloggers-again-to-promote-internet-explorer.html

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.