$99 Server!

Summoning Jutsu~! 

tumblr_mwxvmwSggm1sypar6o1_500.gif

@Whaler_99 

My guess is that these are terrible for folding because the power/performance ratio is just not there. Older servers tend to be hot and use tons of power. I assume that these are old servers (Supermicro X7DBU Dual Intel E5430 is what tipped me off on this), which means they are horrible for efficiency meaning you'll be paying a ton in electricity anyway. 

If you don't pay for electricity, it is probably worth it. If you do, then it's definitely not worth it. 

Source: I own a DDR2 generation server with dual E5472 Xeon CPUs. Each RAM stick consumes 10w on idle. I have 8 in there. Those RAM sticks (admittedly, they are ECC Registered DIMMs) use more power alone on idle than my entire current gaming rig (listed on my profile) uses on idle. Just imagine the CPUs! 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Pretty much, no for folding - the main issue with these is that they cannot fold BIGADV projects and only the SMP projects. Now, looking at most of these CPU's... well, a modern Core i3 will perform as well and use a LOT less power and generate a LOT less heat. :)

In the end, if you have them sitting there for free... and not paying for power, go for it, but I wouldn't spend a dime on these for folding...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

• 2 weeks later...

This is promising:

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

The whole Atlas project is from 2009 - was the biggest farm of it's time...

Now though a couple of decent 4P units can destroy that whole farm :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Better yet:

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs