gtx 770 vs r9 290 for 2560x1440

silentanarchy

So OCed they are similar in performance and OCed they are still similar ? Still way over priced for a used referbed 780 though. It's to bad you have to OC the 780 in order to compete as it still costs allot more and the performance does not match up with the price.

When both cards are at their max capable overclocks, they trade blows with each other. Meaning the differences in performance are marginal between the two. So one isn't necessarily better than the other. 

Overpriced is subjective. You see the word refurbished as a negative. I see the word as, it just left EVGA's factory in working order for $60 less than the card's original MSRP. I don't see how the performance does not match up with the price when it costs nearly the same as an R9 290 and offers similar performance as it does as well. 

When both cards are at their max capable overclocks, they trade blows with each other. Meaning the differences in performance are marginal between the two. So one isn't necessarily better than the other. 

Fair enough but I still don't see the nvidia pricing as a positive.

Overpriced is subjective.

On the contrary it's either overpriced or it's priced right.

You see the word refurbished as a negative.

I see refurbished as it is a defective or broken part that has been patched up and resold.

I don't see how the performance does not match up with the price when it costs nearly the same as an R9 290 and offers similar performance as it does as well. 

So you need to by a defective nvidia card at a dicounted price just to compete with Radeon ? Um something's wrong here I think it's nvidia pricing as even a broken refurbished card that is still a bit slower is still more expensive than the competition LOL.

I have a problem because I know the 290 is better but I want to buy the up coming nvidia shield tablet. I think I may go with the 770 for the game streaming capability.

Get 290.

You don't need a Shield to play pc games on tiny display.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Fair enough but I still don't see the nvidia pricing as a positive.

On the contrary it's either overpriced or it's priced right.

I see refurbished as it is a defective or broken part that has been patched up and resold.

So you need to by a defective nvidia card at a dicounted price just to compete with Radeon ? Um something's wrong here I think it's nvidia pricing as even a broken refurbished card that is still a bit slower is still more expensive than the competition LOL.

It might have been "defective" at one point, but they cant sell it if it is still defective because then that would be false advertising and everyone would return them therefore they wouldn't make any sales or money on the "refurbished" product. The card is going to come in working order, it might have previously had some sort of issue but EVGA is ensuring you that problem doesn't exist anymore and that's why they are selling them labeled as "refurbished." The 780 isn't really slower than the 290. You can look at multiple benchmarks and the only time you will come to the conclusion that a 290 is faster than a 780 is when you A.) Cherry pick benchmarks or B.) Compare a non-reference R9 290 to a reference GTX 780. Otherwise they are on par with each other. It might be more expensive than a new R9 290, but not everyone wants to go with an AMD card; like the OP in this case.

You wanna see something at a good price? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1ZD11F7726

Bought my ASUS monitor refurbished, saved a ton of money on that too. 

It might have been "defective" at one point, but they cant sell it if it is still defective because then that would be false advertising and everyone would return them therefore they wouldn't make any sales or money on the "refurbished" product. The card is going to come in working order, it might have previously had some sort of issue but EVGA is ensuring you that problem doesn't exist anymore and that's why they are selling them labeled as "refurbished." The 780 isn't really slower than the 290. You can look at multiple benchmarks and the only time you will come to the conclusion that a 290 is faster than a 780 is when you A.) Cherry pick benchmarks or B.) Compare a non-reference R9 290 to a reference GTX 780. Otherwise they are on par with each other. It might be more expensive than a new R9 290, but not everyone wants to go with an AMD card; like the OP in this case.

Bought a rubbish refurbished card once ... It lasted less than 2hrs and crapped out on a 20mhz OC LOL.

You wanna see something at a good price? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1ZD11F7726

Not sure if you quoted me by mistake or...?

Nice monitor though!

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

Bought a rubbish refurbished card once ... It lasted less than 2hrs and crapped out on a 20mhz OC LOL.

Most refurbished products come with a warranty though. I've bought new products that have failed, shit happens.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

Most refurbished products come with a warranty though. I've bought new products that have failed, shit happens.

I change video cards like you change socks ... That said I have never had a brand new GPU fail on me. Ditto for CPUs.

290 290 290 290 290 290 290 All day

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair LP @1600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF GTX 1660 OC 6GB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Storage: 250gb Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Display: Asus VG245H 1920x1080 | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and default case fans | Laptop: Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina - i5 2.7Ghz - 256GB SSD

The R9 290 is far superior to the GTX 770.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I got the 290 for gaming at 1440p. I looked at a ton of tests and it always outperformed the 770, and was either on par or better than the 780. It is cheap, and I was on a budget, and the card seems like great bang for the buck.

One little thing about refurbished. My brother and me both bought 290s for 290€ instead of 350€.

Both still had at least 20 months warranty. I guess that was a good deal, both work great.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

Not sure if you quoted me by mistake or...?

Nice monitor though!

Nah, quoted you on purpose. Just decided to label something at a good price :P

They do if they save. Why waste money and get something that is inadequate for his needs?

If you need SHIELD compatibility along with 1440p gaming I would get the 780. You can probably find a used one at a decent price.